Obama Campaign Ad....A lie.

It's an election, and you are calling out a lie in a campaign ad? Where have you been? This shit goes on every election from both sides. Remember Bush vs. Kerry? Can you even come close to counting all the lies that took place in ads for and against both candidates? I'm sure you will now tell me that Romney's people would never lie in an ad about Obama, right?

A couple of things....

Most importantly, Romney is not running on his record as govenor of Mass. He is running on his business credentials. So this hits at the heart of that tact. And while, it has not been shown how he was connected (after all, does he need to have been there....he could have done the damage earlier), it does seem rather silly on Obama's part not to make that connection because it does come across as a lie.

Secondly, it is interesting that you admit both sides do it. Our resident jackass, Franco seems bent on sainting Obama and his campaign. His posts are a complete projection of his own unwillingness to even consider that Obama might not be the man he'd hoped he would be.

I think you and Franco need to get a room.

More to the point, why isn't Romney running on his record as governor? That's probably a lot more relevent to the job he's currently running for than his business record.

Besides the fact that 22% of the businesses Bain invested in went bankrupt (including AmPad and GST) running a business is just not like running a government. Business runs on concesus. If someone is always being a stick in the mud, you fire his ass.

Government doesn't run that way. YOu can't fire Congressman blowhard because you disagree with him or he isn't getting with the program.

I am not sure of you main point, but one thing you bring up is something I'd like to learn more about. A couple of people were haveing this discussion the other day and one of them intonated that Bain did not just buy companies, but purchased companies that were in tough circumstances. I don't know if that is true or not.

If it is, then a 22% failure rate translates to a 78% turnaround rate, which in the corporate world is pretty good.

I honestly don't know if that is the case or not in total.

I do know that the word in Kansas City was that GTS was headed to the dumpster unless someone tried something.

Left?

What the heck does that mean, left?

Is it the type of "leaving" that Cheney did at Halliburton?

:lol:

You guys are rich..

Bat Puckey.....

You don't get that detail unless you roll out GTS's financial's in the 30 second add.

We're rich ?

Somehow this ad plays directly to emotion while providing no real information at all.

Look in the mirror.

Trust me when I say that most of America would rather feel distrustful of a corporate raider than a community organizer. I mean come on really, it's such a joke that people attacked Obama for being a community organizer, and yet have no problems with corporate raiders... the people that swoop in, buy up your dad's or husband's company and then strip it clean.

No, I don't trust you.

Being a community organizer...great....keep at it. But don't try to tanslate that into skills needed to run this country.

And he has shown he can't.

He is a one-termer.

Here is a Romney counter:

Steel Dynamics Chairman Hails Romney, Bain Capital For Early Funding, Thousands Of Jobs - Investors.com

Since emerging as the Republican front-runner, Mitt Romney has been pilloried as a corporate raider and greedy destroyer of working-class jobs because he once headed private equity firm Bain Capital.

A new video by a political action committee with ties to rival presidential candidate Newt Gingrich portrays Romney as someone who plundered companies for their assets, left them in debt and ruined countless lives of ordinary Americans.

That's not the view at Fort Wayne, Ind.-based Steel Dynamics (STLD), where Bain invested just as the company was getting off the ground in 1994. Today, Steel Dynamics is the fifth-largest U.S. steel maker, employing 6,437 workers, according to Chairman and just-retired CEO Keith Busse.

That number includes about 4,000 new jobs, with the rest coming via acquisitions.

But it goes further than that, Busse says. For every steel worker directly employed, there are three or four jobs created by a network of suppliers. He estimates the total employment base as the result of Steel Dynamics' success at around 25,000.

Obama is desperate.

He's going to take a failed presidency and disgrace himself even further by muckraking the campaign.

He can't leave soon enough.

Just more lefty tripe. All designed to focus attention away from Barry's hope and change and other failures.

All part of the great strategery...Fire up the base; piss off the ones you're gonna need.

I disagree. Romney's pitch is that because of his business background, he is the better choice to lead this country. Well, Bain is part of his business background. And how he helped to destroy companies while he worked at Bain is something the American voters need to consider. Romney made his "experience" a campaign issue. Newt used it against him successfully in the SC primary, and now Obama will use it against him in the general election. How do you see this as tripe, again?

See, for every job Obama says Romney "cost", he created thousands more.........I don't think it's wise for Obama to go down this path. Romney didn't keep track of jobs saved, he built businesses or shut them down when they weren't making money.

Businessmen do this every day, we can't expect a Community Organizer that keeps people on the government dole to understand this.

Well, some would say so....

I live in the Kansas City area and this steel mill had always been a mess.

Bain bought it and it went under. 750 jobs lost.

And Obama is pointing the finger at Romney.

The problem: Romney left Bain two years before the steel mill went under.

Here is an article that might help shed some light on the subject....

Blah, blah, blah.

The point is, Bain's Modus opperendi had been established by Romney. Romney was in charge when they acquired GST and began the policy of loading it down with debt to pay themselves big bonuses.

Let's go ahead and concede the point that this steel mill, like the entire American Steel industry, was struggling. It has been since the 1970's, really.

That isn't really the point. The point was they took over a vulnerable company and looted it. And while Bain walked away with a 16 million dollar profit, the Federal GOvernment had to step in and fund their pension plan to the tune of 44 million.

This is really the worst kind of Corporate Welfare.

Can any Repub here tell me if this is true or not. If true, that fucking sucks

Blah, blah, blah.

The point is, Bain's Modus opperendi had been established by Romney. Romney was in charge when they acquired GST and began the policy of loading it down with debt to pay themselves big bonuses.

Let's go ahead and concede the point that this steel mill, like the entire American Steel industry, was struggling. It has been since the 1970's, really.

That isn't really the point. The point was they took over a vulnerable company and looted it. And while Bain walked away with a 16 million dollar profit, the Federal GOvernment had to step in and fund their pension plan to the tune of 44 million.

And letme guess, you're going to blame the capitalist for taking advantage of an existing program, not the government for laying the rules out like they did. Right?

Blah, blah, blah.

Think about what he posted...

This basically says the pension program was underfunded.

Bain had bought into other plants....see the link on Steel Dynamics.

This one was a mess (why they bought it, I'll never know....everyone around here said it was a loser....100 years old...you drove by it and you knew it and was going under anyway).

The misleading point here is that it would be O.K. if not for Romney. That fits Obama's narrative quite well. And it is bogus.

The plant was sucking air and had been for some time. It was going under. Romney gave it a chance and the unions along with others really were not interested in taking the steps necessary to turn it around.

And now, for their obstinance, the union guys get to do TV commercials for Obama.

Blah, blah, blah.

And letme guess, you're going to blame the capitalist for taking advantage of an existing program, not the government for laying the rules out like they did. Right?

I don't believe they bought the pension program. That was seperate deal. Otherwise, it would amount to looting the pension and would not have happened. The pension was underfunded. Like many. That was going on long before Bain showed up.

Is that Romney's fault ?

Tangerine is the new black.

Bain Capital is the new Haliburton.

Get ready for 4-8 years of Bain Derangement Syndrome if Romney's elected. Not to mention games of "Six Evil Degrees of Separation from Bain".

Same playbook as was run on W. Quelle suprise!

Of course it's Romney's fault. If you listen to the Obamites I am sure anything of the economic situation we are in right now that isn't bUsh's fault is Romney's fault. I wouldn't be surpised to see an ad blaming high unemployment today on "corporate vampires" like Romney. It's coming.

dark-shadows-johnny-depp.jpg

CORPORATE VAMPIRES?!?! EEEK! Run away! Run away!!!!

People can look at this and say Obama is lair and they can look at this and say both sides to it.

Or they can swallow the add.

My interest (although not spelled out in the OP) is the fact that these adds are cleverly put together by people who know how to hit into a poorly informed electorate. They are very skillfully put together and don't seek to inform as much as they seek to influence.

All sides do it.

But I see the same crap being posted on this board.

Last night, on Hannity, they were disucssing this add and what a farce it was....then I turned to Rachael Maddow who was extolling it's virtues and dogpiling with lies and falsehoods from Kennedy (senate election).

One of my daughters just looked at this and made the comment about how America is more like a sheep heard than a society.

Leveraged buyout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By the end of the 1980s the excesses of the buyout market were beginning to show, with the bankruptcy of several large buyouts including Robert Campeau's 1988 buyout of Federated Department Stores, the 1986 buyout of the Revco drug stores, Walter Industries, FEB Trucking and Eaton Leonard. Additionally, the RJR Nabisco deal was showing signs of strain, leading to a recapitalization in 1990 that involved the contribution of $1.7 billion of new equity from KKR.[17]

Drexel Burnham Lambert was the investment bank most responsible for the boom in private equity during the 1980s due to its leadership in the issuance of high-yield debt.

Drexel reached an agreement with the government in which it pleaded nolo contendere (no contest) to six felonies—three counts of stock parking and three counts of stock manipulation.[18] It also agreed to pay a fine of $650 million—at the time, the largest fine ever levied under securities laws. Milken left the firm after his own indictment in March 1989.[19] On February 13, 1990 after being advised by United States Secretary of the Treasury Nicholas F. Brady, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the New York Stock Exchange, and the Federal Reserve, Drexel Burnham Lambert officially filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.[19]

Last edited:
During the 1980s, constituencies within acquired companies and the media ascribed the "corporate raid" label to many private equity investments, particularly those that featured a hostile takeover of the company, perceived asset stripping, major layoffs or other significant corporate restructuring activities

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leveraged_buyout

What Bain did was corporate raiding.

they didnt care about the jobs they cared about making money.

To pretend anything else was being done is just plain stupidity

Last edited:
During the 1980s, constituencies within acquired companies and the media ascribed the "corporate raid" label to many private equity investments, particularly those that featured a hostile takeover of the company, perceived asset stripping, major layoffs or other significant corporate restructuring activities

Leveraged buyout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What Bain did was corporate raiding.

they didnt care about the jobs they cared about making money.

To pretend anything else was being done is just plain stupidity

Plain stupidity pretty much describes your posts.

Do you have any financial information on this particular situation ?

If so, please share.

This plant was already headed down the toilet.

Obama ad attacking Romney’s involvement with KC company isn’t running in Missouri - KansasCity.com

Here is an interesting article from the K.C. star (know to be a left leaning rag).

But their focus is that the ad will not run in Missouri which means, in their estimation, they are conceding Missiouri to Romney.

Next, the article quotes from Bain Capital saying it spent (borrowed) 100 million to upgrade the plant.

Hardly sounds like a corporate raider to me.

So where did the idea they made 16 million come from. I am sure there is some documentation.

Forum List

Back