Obama Calls Himself "The Gipper"

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
Oh.Mi.Gawd

President Obama recounts an anecdote about the 2004 Democratic National Convention at White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs' final press briefing:

"The most challenging problem was what tie to wear. And this went up to the very last minute. I mean, 10 minutes before we were about to go on stage we were still having an argument about ties. I had bought five, six ties. And Michelle didn't like any of them, Axelrod didn't like a couple of them -- him being one of the best dressed men in the world. So we really valued his opinion.

"And then somebody -- I don't remember who it was -- turned and said, 'You know what? What about Gibbs' tie? What about Gibbs' tie? That might look good.' And, frankly, Robert didn't want to give it up because he thought he looked really good in the tie. But eventually he was willing to take one for the gipper, and so he took off his tie, and I put it on. And that's the tie that I wore at the national .

RealClearPolitics - Video - Obama Refers To Himself As "The Gipper" In Farewell To Gibbs

Again.

Oh.Mi.Gawd.

Oh.Mi.Gawd

President Obama recounts an anecdote about the 2004 Democratic National Convention at White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs' final press briefing:

"The most challenging problem was what tie to wear. And this went up to the very last minute. I mean, 10 minutes before we were about to go on stage we were still having an argument about ties. I had bought five, six ties. And Michelle didn't like any of them, Axelrod didn't like a couple of them -- him being one of the best dressed men in the world. So we really valued his opinion.

"And then somebody -- I don't remember who it was -- turned and said, 'You know what? What about Gibbs' tie? What about Gibbs' tie? That might look good.' And, frankly, Robert didn't want to give it up because he thought he looked really good in the tie. But eventually he was willing to take one for the gipper, and so he took off his tie, and I put it on. And that's the tie that I wore at the national .

RealClearPolitics - Video - Obama Refers To Himself As "The Gipper" In Farewell To Gibbs

Again.

Oh.Mi.Gawd.

Youre kidding right?

No. He definitely said it.

surprised-005.gif
surprised-005.gif

Last edited:
to be fair its a semi political colloquialism....but one if I were him i would not have used.;)

Given the recent Reagan Centennial, it's clear Obama is trying to transfer some of Reagan's cred to himself.

As if he is anything like Reagan.

My gawd, who hasn't this guy been.?

Fdr, Jfk, now Reagan.

And don't forget, the media tried to make them the next couple from, CAMALOT.

How sad is it when you have to TRY and fool the people, instead of being WHO THE hell you are.....with Obama, that would be, LOSER.:lol:

Last edited:
The Gipper was a character in a movie, right?

No. The real Gipper was a football coach.

"Win one for the Gipper" is a phrase associated with Ronald Reagan. He played George Gipp in the film "Knute Rockne". Reagan's nickname was "The Gipper".

Last edited:

Fdr, Jfk, now Reagan.

How sad is it when you have to TRY and fool the people, instead of being WHO THE hell you are.....with Obama, that would be, LOSER.:lol:

Well, when one's experience is one of being "no there there", one is forced to seek reflection in the accomplishments of others.

Fdr, Jfk, now Reagan.

Well, when one's experience is one of being "no there there", one is forced to seek reflection in the accomplishments of others.

His failures will overshadow ANY of his accomplishments

Well if the president agrees with this quote by Ronald Reagan, then he is indeed trying to emulate him.

"The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. "

DingleBarry the Gipper???? ROFLMAO!!!!!! Who's Michelle, Rhianna?? Hey DingleBarry, most of us put away playing dress-up when we were 5.

Well if the president agrees with this quote by Ronald Reagan, then he is indeed trying to emulate him.

"The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. "

well, we know that isn't what he believes. so he can give it up.

Forum List

Back