Obama calls for $250 payments to seniors

Ravi, the government says there was no inflation last year. That is why there is no increase in Social Security this year. If a senior's income is equal to last year's and there is no inflation, there is no income problem. They should have not had enough for property taxes last year.

Of course I understand that there actually was inflation last year. I can quickly point to about $800 billion in inflation generated by the GOVERNMENT. Obama wants to help seniors. He does this at the expense of children (they get to pay it back). Transparency here would be, the government over spent and generated inflation, so we are going to adjust SS.

With all due respect to my fellow Libs, I'm going to have to agree with the righties here.

Why would Social Security increase for inflation if there is no inflation?

Hey, I didn't get a raise or bonus this year thanks to the recession, why should my tax dollars go to paying for one for old people?

As far as the whole reduction in pensions, retirement investments, etc. thing goes, they profited quite well when the market was artificially inflated, and now they've lost money when the bubble burst. That's the way it goes.

They took a chance and invested in riskier investments to increase their profit margin, and they paid the price.

Last edited:
I don't see a problem with this. $250 might not sound like much but to someone living on a fixed income that won't be receiving an inflation adjusted rate next year it could benefit them. In my state there are a LOT of seniors and their property taxes are going up this year.

I haven't gotten a raise in almost three years and I don't see one in the future either. Send me $250 too.

Immie

I don't see a problem with this. $250 might not sound like much but to someone living on a fixed income that won't be receiving an inflation adjusted rate next year it could benefit them. In my state there are a LOT of seniors and their property taxes are going up this year.

I haven't gotten a raise in almost three years and I don't see one in the future either. Send me $250 too.

Immie
What would you do with the money?

Immie
What would you do with the money?

Same thing I do with almost every dollar I earn, pay bills and my tax bill is coming up in less than three months..

Immie

Way to go Vast LWC, it is SOOOOOOO... much easier to paint you all with a broad brush. Then you come along and agree with something? Hope you don't suffer too much backlash. Just an aside, but it appears they are not increasing the amount you can earn before you lose some of your SS benefits. Consistency. Who knew???

i don't understand....if the cost of living has gone down....why do people with a fixed income (who btw didn't get a "decrease" in payments) need an extra $250?

It won't make up for the no cost of living increase that was needed for seniors, who often have to count every penny just to live.

i don't understand....if the cost of living has gone down....why do people with a fixed income (who btw didn't get a "decrease" in payments) need an extra $250?
Because its a lie, the cost of living went up, but Barry & freinds always plan 'fun with numbers' and claim it went down.

Because its a lie, the cost of living went up, but Barry & freinds always plan 'fun with numbers' and claim it went down.

fuzzy math?
Give you an example of how full of shit the gov is that 'the cost of living' went down.

My uncle who is 83 lives in an apartment building in NY.

With his 450 buck pension and SS he makes about 1400 a month to live on, each month after rent and utilities and his medical costs he has maybe 10-20 dollars left over if he's lucky.

The city of NY approved a 5% increase in rent controlled apartments, that translates to about 30 bucks more in rent for him.

He is now in the red monthly, but the government tells him he isn't getting an increase because it claims 'the cost of living' went down.

In short, the state increased his expenses and the feds are claiming his expense went down.

End result?

Like many seniors he's fucked.

Last edited:
HEY Moutain little one , your hero "W " did that to the tune of 600 bucks already and did it that a while ago, 1200 a couple, don't you work or maybe you can't find a women that would have your sorry ass

Tell you what dipshit, why don't you find a post of mine where I treat Mr Bush like a hero.
Why don't you explain what women have to do with this subject you fucktard.
While you are at it, maybe you can explain why I am not posting between 7:30am and 6:00pm EST, maybe it's because I'm working you damn dumbass.

Last edited:
Obama calls for $250 payments to seniors - Yahoo! News

Snip,
President Barack Obama called on Congress Wednesday to approve $250 payments to more than 50 million seniors to make up for no increase in Social Security next year.

And to buy support for health care lies.

Yes, it is another one of his many deceptive acts to make people think he is really doing something. It will only cost our future generations more. It is not going to do those poor people any good at all. What a con this president is.

250 so they can buy some asprin to use when they are denied medical treatment due to rationing and of their age!!!

Does anyone other than me realize how retarded this argument is? "If the government provides health care for more people, old people will be denied care", ignoring the fact that, you know, the government already provides health care for the elderly.

Do you realize how retarded you are? Probably not. You probably missed the part in the bill where Medicare will have its funding cut. Where do you think those cuts will fall? You think the consumers/insureds will somehow be insulated from that and doctors and hospitals will just soak up a 42% cut? WRONG.
Why do you think members of AARP are screaming about this, just as the national org is finishing sucking off Obama's large Negro penis?

Most of the savings comes from axing the Medicare Part C money suck hole. The rest comes from reduced payments to medical device makers (realized by using competitive bids instead of the current name-and-pay process).

To sum it all up...

The government is going to take us further in debt to give money to the elderly that they shouldn't have taken in the first place. The government's ponzi scheme is imploding and if this healthcare is going to pass, the elderly need to be bribed.

Obama needs the AARP in his corner on health care. Thus the cynical bribe to the elderly with our own money.

AARP is on his side, it's just that seniors are not. Many have cancelled their memberships. Seniors are not that stupid, they know he intends to cut 500 billion from their health care plan.

Less than two-tenths of a percent of members have canceled their memberships. Also, over that same period, 400,000 new members joined.

Silly. Taxes are going up because revenues are down because the economy is in the toilet.

I'm sorry Ravi, but thats just wrong IMO.

Property taxes are going up because the constituents voted in the kind of politicians who think raising taxes are the solution to any budget shortfall.

But here's the kicker, even if the seniors can't pay the property taxes now, there are plenty of payment plans, arrangements and hardship extensions available for property taxes. And if they can't come up with $250 using these additional resources, then they were already living well beyond the means they can afford.

I have a hard time taking these claims seriously. In our state, for example, revenue was so short that they had to cancel part of homestead exemption, but there was plenty of money for a huge tax cut for insurance companies.

They don't need it, but since they've gotten one every year for decades, they feel entitled to it. I will say this. If the choices are between a $250 one-time payment and increasing the monthly payouts, the one-time payment is better policy (though the best policy would be no payment at all).

Forum List

Back