Obama Bypasses Congress AGAIN to Mandate Black Boxes for All Cars—Beginning in ’14

A word to the wise:

NOTHING, absolutely nothing that is reported from CNS News is reliable, and that's a FACT....I don't usually discredit sources right off the bat, however with CNS News, I have found every single one of their articles are simply false, in all cases so take it for what it is worth....

Ray La Hood, the transportation secretary IS a Republican.....would he be screwing you? Is he big brother? Or is this unfounded fear just of liberals?

This program, with EDR's was introduced in 2006, under President Bush's reign and the black boxes are in:

NHTSA estimates that approximately 96 percent of model year 2013 passenger cars and light-duty vehicles are already equipped with EDR capability.
so they are in 96% of all cars and light trucks already....

And according to the rules:

The new safety regulation proposed today would require EDRs as mandatory equipment in passenger vehicles that weigh less than 8,500 pounds.

The proposal includes the same standardized data collection requirements established by NHTSA in 2006 for EDRs that are voluntarily installed by automakers (49 CFR Part 563) and mandates that automakers provide a commercially available tool for downloading the data.

In keeping with NHTSA’s current policies on EDR data, the information would be treated by NHTSA as the property of the vehicle owner and would not be used or accessed by the agency without owner consent.
http://www.dot.gov/briefing-room/us...nt-data-recorders-help-improve-vehicle-safety

Now all of the above FACTUAL information about this issue, is not to say this is not a little bit concerning to me....because who knows if the rules will change someday and make it a law that this information is mandatory and not voluntary? But for right now, any information gathered by these black boxes on our vehicles can be gathered ONLY WITH permission from us.

Last edited:
Care... I have a 3D 'capable' TV.. it does not mean that it is currently deployed as a 3D TV... this is not turned on in those cars.. nor should it be... This is nanny state stuff taken yet another step.. if this were to be an OPTION that people would choose to turn on or not (could see insurance companies offering reduced rates if it were, etc) that would be all well and good.. for government to mandate, require, or dictate this be in cars is quite another (even if they say this is only accessed now via owner consent)

Obama Bypasses Congress to Mandate Black Boxes for All Cars—Beginning in ’14​

By: Pete Winn
December 13, 2012

Bypassing Congress, the Obama administration has issued a proposed administrative rule, which if adopted, would mandate the installation of “black boxes” in all automobiles and light trucks beginning in 2014.

The U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) proposed the regulation on Dec. 7, which it said “would capture valuable safety-related data in the seconds before and during a motor vehicle crash.”

The proposed standard would require automakers to install event data recorders (EDRs)—so-called “black box devices”—to collect specific safety-related data in all light passenger vehicles beginning Sept. 1, 2014. …

(Excerpt)

Read more:
Obama Bypasses Congress to Mandate Black Boxes for All Cars -- Beginning in '14 | CNS News

Congress has already authorized the Secretary of the Department of Transportation to make regulations:
(a) The Secretary of Transportation may prescribe regulations to carry out the duties and powers of the Secretary. An officer of the Department of Transportation may prescribe regulations to carry out the duties and powers of the officer.
49 USC § 322 - General powers | LII / Legal Information Institute

Obama Bypasses Congress to Mandate Black Boxes for All Cars—Beginning in ’14​

By: Pete Winn
December 13, 2012

Bypassing Congress, the Obama administration has issued a proposed administrative rule, which if adopted, would mandate the installation of “black boxes” in all automobiles and light trucks beginning in 2014.

The U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) proposed the regulation on Dec. 7, which it said “would capture valuable safety-related data in the seconds before and during a motor vehicle crash.”

The proposed standard would require automakers to install event data recorders (EDRs)—so-called “black box devices”—to collect specific safety-related data in all light passenger vehicles beginning Sept. 1, 2014. …

(Excerpt)

Read more:
Obama Bypasses Congress to Mandate Black Boxes for All Cars -- Beginning in '14 | CNS News

As far as I'm concerned... If I purchase a vehicle which I do not engage in commerce with, who the hell has the right to say I cannot take wire cutters and a hammer to the gizmo in question? Good luck with that Obama.

Anyone here have a cell phone? If so then STFU, you are already trackable.
I know. That's why I remove the battery from my phone quite often.

And, no....I have no intention of shutting the fuck up, although authoritarians like you sure would like me to do so. :thup:

If you fear "big brother" then they have already won, they already have all the leverage they need to subdue you, live your life courageously in spite of them. I know about all this stuff and yet it does not affect the way I live my life one bit. I am pretty sure that gigs of data exists here and there on my activities but I do not have such an inflated sense of worth that I think anyone is the least bit interested.

well bully for you..as people have said, this will ADD A COST to cars people can't afford ALREADY..but hey you know IT ALL...
here's a suggestion how bout you shut the fuck up

I don't like the method he used to get those in cars, but I can understand the reasoning. Some car accidents seem one thing at first blush, but another set of eyes might see it differently.

I know it's easy to paint this as a "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU" thing... but the government's been doing that for about 50 years or more (all the Patriot Act did was make it legal), so one more thing doesn't surprise me.

It might not be a surprise,but don't roll over just because we have been screwed in the past.

Forum List

Back