Obama buying houses now?

i may be better off.....going on the dole and having the government pay my mortgage.....

I doubt it. I see lots of people on welfare, most of them seem really, really unhappy.

Thats because its the percent that lost a job and would rather work, but cant find work. Not your average welfare free loader!!

When we first started out we saved every dime and used any money we'd gotten for wedding gifts and had a really decent down payment for our first house. The bank tried telling us we could afford way more house . . . . but we knew that we'd both have to continue working to make the mortgage and we knew that when the kids came along, we wanted me to stay home and work part time. So, we figured the mortgage for hub's salary and bought a much smaller townhouse (with a freakin' avocado green bathtub no less) that was a little further up the road than we planned. We compromised in order to live within our means. The first three or four years we were married, we pounded down the mortgage; we dumped any extra cash into it to get the mortgage down, because we knew when the kids came along it wouldn't be as easy to do this. We stayed there about 12 years, even though we outgrew it in about 8. We compromised to live within our means. All of that enabled us to buy our current house, putting down another really decent down payment. We're well on our way to getting the mortgage paid off on this place. We never took vacations until the last 2-3 years, because we couldn't afford it. Never owned a new car. Never ran up tons of debt buying things we didn't really need anyway. We compromised in order to live within our means.

So now, because assholes who didn't live within their means, who wouldn't live within their means, who lived on credit, who thought that 'home equity loan' translate to 'ATM', who didn't put anything down on a house that was too big and that they couldn't afford to begin with, who took vacations on that home equity loan,who spent, spent, spent . . . . they get a bailout?

Where is the personal responsibility? What the fuck entitles these people to a God damn bailout???

Last edited:
and folks here were laughing about getting their mortgage payments made for them too.

Because someone tries to live above their means to the point that any of life's hiccups will sink them, we'll buy their property that is worth less than they owe, pay off the mortgage, then we'll charge them rent in the amount that a bankruptcy judge deems "fair".

LMFAO, you can't make this shit up!

Obama mulls rental option for homeowners: sources | Special Coverage | Reuters

Really? And here I'm just trying to sell mine. :eusa_eh:

My newest car is a 1981 F-150 Ford pickup which is paid for. I do not rely on others to pay my bills, and I certainly don't make purchases that I don't already have the cash to pay for up front. I am a retired public school teacher, and my house is paid for. No mortgage. That is called being a responsible individual in our society. The low rent and irresponsible folks who were able to take out loans they could not afford are not responsible individuals, and neither are the banks who loaned them the money in the first place. The damndemocrats who allowed the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac loans to be allowed to these irresponsible people should be held accountable for their actions, and until there is some form of jail time associated with this type of irresponsible activity, it will continue.

Last edited:
When we first started out we saved every dime and used any money we'd gotten for wedding gifts and had a really decent down payment for our first house. The bank tried telling us we could afford way more house . . . . but we knew that we'd both have to continue working to make the mortgage and we knew that when the kids came along, we wanted me to stay home and work part time. So, we figured the mortgage for hub's salary and bought a much smaller townhouse (with a freakin' avocado green bathtub no less) that was a little further up the road than we planned. We compromised in order to live within our means. The first three or four years we were married, we pounded down the mortgage; we dumped any extra cash into it to get the mortgage down, because we knew when the kids came along it wouldn't be as easy to do this. We stayed there about 12 years, even though we outgrew it in about 8. We compromised to live within our means. All of that enabled us to buy our current house, putting down another really decent down payment. We're well on our way to getting the mortgage paid off on this place. We never took vacations until the last 2-3 years, because we couldn't afford it. Never owned a new car. Never ran up tons of debt buying things we didn't really need anyway. We compromised in order to live within our means.

So now, because assholes who didn't live within their means, who wouldn't live within their means, who lived on credit, who thought that 'home equity loan' translate to 'ATM', who didn't put anything down on a house that was too big and that they couldn't afford to begin with, who took vacations on that home equity loan,who spent, spent, spent . . . . they get a bailout?

Where is the personal responsibility? What the fuck entitles these people to a God damn bailout???

Hey, people are paying prime rates for that retro shit nowadays!

No shit, on the rest.. You'd be surprised at what the bank thought I could afford, vs. what I told them I could afford. If they had their way, I'd be living in a 6 bedroom, 3 bath house with a freakin indoor pool. :evil:

Tho, I'd like the pool.... :eusa_whistle:

Can you just imagine how these I-GOT-MINE-SO-FUCK-YOU morons would have reacted to food lines during the Great Depression? Drive-by laughing. Nice.

I-GOT-MINE-SO-FUCK-YOU because I drove an old car while yours was new, my ATV is 8yrs old while yours is new, your house was 4500 sq/ft and mine is only 2000, so ya, fuck you because you couldn't afford it and it bit you in the ass, it had to eventually.

So you're applying your own situation and assuming every other person has a similar one? Wow, pure genius.

Not every other person, but I wager that many who live within their means do share a similar experience.
I'm just illustrating that living within your means, means not always having the biggest, best, or newest "stuff", but your "stuff" is paid for. Or if you do carry some debt, it's at least manageable if/when you experience any one of life's hiccups.

Of course I realize that there are many people who do all the right things, and still get kicked in the nuts from one thing or another. I do have empathy for them, I've been there, and feel that they are the ones that should receive a little help, if anyone does.
But these aren't the people that are looking for a handout, and can survive on a lower paying, and/or shitty job until things pick up. Usually responsible people can, and do, dig themselves out with some sacrifice and hard work, doing what they have to to get through.

Just what these irresponsible people who are swimming in debt need, a bailout to ensure they don't learn a fucking thing from their stupidity. People should be embarrassed to need/accept money from the government, but our culture has changed to where it's expected when you fuckup. Anything to lay responsibility off on someone else!

It all comes down to personal responsibility, which there is less and less of everyday, in all aspects of life, not just financially speaking.

and folks here were laughing about getting their mortgage payments made for them too.

Because someone tries to live above their means to the point that any of life's hiccups will sink them, we'll buy their property that is worth less than they owe, pay off the mortgage, then we'll charge them rent in the amount that a bankruptcy judge deems "fair".

LMFAO, you can't make this shit up!

Obama mulls rental option for homeowners: sources | Special Coverage | Reuters

If you live within yours means and do the right thing, you get what you get.

If you live above your means and screw up, you get a bailout.

How does this make sense? What ever happened to if you screw up you pay the consequences, learn the lesson and don't make the same mistake again? Why must someone else come along and bail you out? What the hell makes anyone entitled to a bailout? Does personal responsibility simply not exist anymore?

Well said by both of you!

Personal responsibility is a lost art in this nation and we are going to pay dearly for that.

We are not smart people, we make mistakes each and every day and have lost a small fortune more than once, however, when we purchased out home we spent 175,000.00 less than we were approved for! Why? Because we chose to live within reality and within of the worst case possibilities. Yet, we live in a decent area, it has a low crime rate and the home is large enough.

Had we spent that extra 175,000 or so who knows where we would be right now with this economy and our sales being down!

I deal with those less fortunate each day in some fashion and most are good people who simply need a break, but if they get hand out after hand out they will slowly stop wanting to strive for themselves. Helping empower a person to do for themselves is one thing, but, making people dependent is counter productive and can bring us all down!

so it's better to kick them out, get what you can for the house in foreclosure, let the banks and speculators make more money than to have them pay rent and eventually pay the frigging loan off?

Gay-Boy, your a blind parrot for the liberals. You are exactly what they are counting on as they suck the desire out of the American people and sell our nation out. Thank God in the end you will end up being the minority.

The problem is that people who WERE living within their means are finding that their means no longer is enough to live within them.

The problem is that people who WERE living within their means are finding that their means no longer is enough to live within them.

I sure won't deny that it's getting increasingly difficult, and that "living within your means" is forcing those that do, to live an increasingly lower lifestyle. I have no argument with that at all.
That's why I'm so pissed off/scared about all this new shit that is getting piled on. I look at my household #s, and I don't know how I'll do it, with 3 kids approaching College. I know that honest, hard working people are also losing everything, and it's a crying fuckin' shame!!

But would it be so tough on us that are trying to do the right thing and live responsibly, if we weren't constantly paying for bailing out those that don't even try to be responsible, and swim in debt, government included?

Most of this discussion has revolved around people that have financed themselves irresponsibly, which I think is difficult to argue against being a significant factor in what triggered the current mess.

You guys do know what foreclosures mean for the surrounding neighborhood, right?
Right, but if they cant make the mortgage why will they be able to make the rent? Did they also take out equity and get to walk on this? If their rent drops below current payment that is more they can now afford to get something else they cant afford and eventually will not be able to afford the rent.
As mentioned earlier responsibility you messed up now take the consequences, not my problem.
This isnt going to fix anything just prolong it with a false sense of ...

Actually it IS your problem since its fucking up the entire economy, and when a house gets foreclosed on it lowers home values in the neighborhood.

i may be better off.....going on the dole and having the government pay my mortgage.....

I doubt it. I see lots of people on welfare, most of them seem really, really unhappy.

Thats because its the percent that lost a job and would rather work, but cant find work. Not your average welfare free loader!!

You know the attitude of an avererage welfare recipient? Pray tell how?

You guys do know what foreclosures mean for the surrounding neighborhood, right?
Right, but if they cant make the mortgage why will they be able to make the rent? Did they also take out equity and get to walk on this? If their rent drops below current payment that is more they can now afford to get something else they cant afford and eventually will not be able to afford the rent.
As mentioned earlier responsibility you messed up now take the consequences, not my problem.

Actually it IS your problem since its fucking up the entire economy, and when a house gets foreclosed on it lowers home values in the neighborhood.

You're right Nik. People shirking their personal responsibility is biting us all in the ass.

Explain to me why people who live beyond their means should get a bailout and the people who live within their means should foot the bill.

You're right Nik. People shirking their personal responsibility is biting us all in the ass.

Explain to me why people who live beyond their means should get a bailout and the people who live within their means should foot the bill.

Well I think that people who helped create this mess and enabled people to live beyond their means should foot the bill. But perish forbid we tax the bankers!!!!!!

Hey, people are paying prime rates for that retro shit nowadays!

No shit, on the rest.. You'd be surprised at what the bank thought I could afford, vs. what I told them I could afford. If they had their way, I'd be living in a 6 bedroom, 3 bath house with a freakin indoor pool. :evil:

Tho, I'd like the pool.... :eusa_whistle:

However, in 1980, when we bought our first home, it wasn't our first choice because the bank used an income to debt formula for mortgage qualification. So tell us--whatever happened to THAT? Oh--no one was minding the store anymore except the new robber barons. Nevermind.

I-GOT-MINE-SO-FUCK-YOU because I drove an old car while yours was new, my ATV is 8yrs old while yours is new, your house was 4500 sq/ft and mine is only 2000, so ya, fuck you because you couldn't afford it and it bit you in the ass, it had to eventually.

So you're applying your own situation and assuming every other person has a similar one? Wow, pure genius.

Not every other person, but I wager that many who live within their means do share a similar experience.
I'm just illustrating that living within your means, means not always having the biggest, best, or newest "stuff", but your "stuff" is paid for. Or if you do carry some debt, it's at least manageable if/when you experience any one of life's hiccups.

Of course I realize that there are many people who do all the right things, and still get kicked in the nuts from one thing or another. I do have empathy for them, I've been there, and feel that they are the ones that should receive a little help, if anyone does.
But these aren't the people that are looking for a handout, and can survive on a lower paying, and/or shitty job until things pick up. Usually responsible people can, and do, dig themselves out with some sacrifice and hard work, doing what they have to to get through.

Just what these irresponsible people who are swimming in debt need, a bailout to ensure they don't learn a fucking thing from their stupidity. People should be embarrassed to need/accept money from the government, but our culture has changed to where it's expected when you fuckup. Anything to lay responsibility off on someone else!

It all comes down to personal responsibility, which there is less and less of everyday, in all aspects of life, not just financially speaking.

You're absolutely correct, but I would point out that being in debt up to your eyeballs because of credit availability and/or to keep up with the Joneses isn't a Republican or Democrat mindset. It's been decadent mob obsession with STUFF.

Why should the people who live beyond their means get a bailout and why should the people who live within their means foot the bill?

It's no consolation that hundreds of real estate sales and mortgage companies have themselves declared bankruptcy (Countrywide being the most visible). Is it good for them and not their victims?

You're absolutely correct, but I would point out that being in debt up to your eyeballs because of credit availability and/or to keep up with the Joneses isn't a Republican or Democrat mindset. It's been decadent mob obsession with STUFF.

No argument there! Being stupid and irresponsible knows no party lines.
:beer: to our first time agreeing! :lol:

Well I think that people who helped create this mess and enabled people to live beyond their means should foot the bill. But perish forbid we tax the bankers!!!!!!

I don't disagree with you at all on this. The people responsible for creating the mess certainly should be held accountable. But did someone hold a gun to 'Joe-Live-Beyond-My-Means-Taxpayer' and force him to live beyond his means? People are responsible for their own actions.

Last edited:

I don't disagree with you at all on this. The people responsible for creating the mess certainly should be held accountable. But did someone hold a gun to 'Joe-Live-Beyond-My-Means-Taxpayer' and force him to live beyond his means? People are responsible for their own actions.

So lets line them up and shoot them.

What exactly do you propose we do with these people? They made a mistake. I really don't see why when faced between a choice of making them suffer, making the economy suffer, and making the neighborhood suffer for their mistake v. making them not suffer, helping the economy, and helping the neighborhood, we should choose the former.

I'm not interested in punishing people who made financial mistakes. I'm interested in helping the economy recover from this clusterfuck.

Forum List

Back