Obama Bows to Saudi Prince and Japan's Emporer, Compare/contrast

PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2009
America's Home Town
Just thought I'd try and start another fun comparison thread.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WlqW6UCeaY]YouTube - Obama Bows to Saudi King[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0mZfpOfQYc]YouTube - Barack Obama bows to Japan's Emperor Akihito[/ame]

So lets get to the comparison, contrast, and opinions.

I think he was just trying to show respect to both leaders as it is custom in both countries to bow to the royalty and emporer.

That being said something about an american president Bowing to the Saudi bothers me A LOT more than him bowing to the Japanese. I think its because the japanese are our ally and act like a good friend in international matters, their actions show their alliance with us. The saudis on the other hand dont seem as helpful in anything and their country spawned the 9/11 hijackers.

In the end I say both bows were appropriate but am still a little bothered by the saudi one.

What say you guys and gals?

bush-saudi.jpg

Just curious as to why you think we should never bow to another leader even if it is their custom. Do you think it projects weakness, or is inapropriate as its the leader of our nation, or some other thing?

Just curious as to why you think we should never bow to another leader even if it is their custom. Do you think it projects weakness, or is inapropriate as its the leader of our nation, or some other thing?

A bow is a symbol of submission. So it is one thing for Pres Bush to bow to the symbol of spirituality but another for him to bow down to foreign monarchs. It projects weakness. Of course Pres Obama projects weakness by his words and actions as well, regardless of whether he bows to anybody.
I am waiting for the video of him bowing to the head of SEIU.

I'm not talking about bush holding hands or bowing bones im talking about obama's bows to world leaders and peoples opinions of his bowing.

What's your opinion girl?

Thanks for your opinion rabbi.

I believe when the President of the United States bows to another foreign head of state it shows weakness and the willingness to be submissive to that foreign government. I feel the only exception to this would be the President of the United States bowing to the Pope. That act to me would signify that the US is submissive to God and I find that acceptable. The rest of the bowing, be it customary or whatever to me is offensive.

I believe when the President of the United States bows to another foreign head of state it shows weakness and the willingness to be submissive to that foreign government. I feel the only exception to this would be the President of the United States bowing to the Pope. That act to me would signify that the US is submissive to God and I find that acceptable. The rest of the bowing, be it customary or whatever to me is offensive.

Then you do not understand customs and cannot ethically get angry for anyone not following ours. you do realize that in France it's still customary to kiss each other, right? So should the French who come here completely ignore our greeting customs and go around kissing everyone they meet?

A bow in most other cultures is a sign of respect, and in those cultures respect is also a sign of superiority in many ways. The ability to bow to another leader shows Obama is secure in the US backing him should they double cross us. This is what the president is actually suppose to do, put our best face forward. All the bullshit that Obama is doing here with policy is not what we pay him to do, going to other countries and making sure they know we are still number one is, and by observing their customs demonstrates just that.

Then you do not understand customs and cannot ethically get angry for anyone not following ours. you do realize that in France it's still customary to kiss each other, right? So should the French who come here completely ignore our greeting customs and go around kissing everyone they meet?

I have done quite a bit of traveling around the world and I am aware of a good many of the customs and traditions of some of those countries that I have visited. For example, in Saudi Arabia men often kiss each other on the cheeks when they meet as so in lots of the other middle eastern countries. However, that still does not change my opinion on how the President of the United States should act. By the way, if it wasn't for the United States, the French would be speaking German right now. A good many countries seem to forget that they owe the US some gratitude for saving their asses during WWII and during other conflicts. The US, at least for the time being, is still the most powerful nation on the face of the earth and should bow to nobody.

I have done quite a bit of traveling around the world and I am aware of a good many of the customs and traditions of some of those countries that I have visited. For example, in Saudi Arabia men often kiss each other on the cheeks when they meet as so in lots of the other middle eastern countries. However, that still does not change my opinion on how the President of the United States should act. By the way, if it wasn't for the United States, the French would be speaking German right now. A good many countries seem to forget that they owe the US some gratitude for saving their asses during WWII and during other conflicts. The US, at least for the time being, is still the most powerful nation on the face of the earth and should bow to nobody.

... and if not for the French we would be under the rule of the royal family of England ... nor would we have the Statue of Liberty.

Just thought I'd try and start another fun comparison thread.

YouTube - Obama Bows to Saudi King

YouTube - Barack Obama bows to Japan's Emperor Akihito

So lets get to the comparison, contrast, and opinions.

I think he was just trying to show respect to both leaders as it is custom in both countries to bow to the royalty and emporer.

That being said something about an american president Bowing to the Saudi bothers me A LOT more than him bowing to the Japanese. I think its because the japanese are our ally and act like a good friend in international matters, their actions show their alliance with us. The saudis on the other hand dont seem as helpful in anything and their country spawned the 9/11 hijackers.

In the end I say both bows were appropriate but am still a little bothered by the saudi one.

What say you guys and gals?
I think if he is in their country he should follow their customs and show respect. I am like you don't really like him bowing to Saudi leader but one must show respect, we would want them to show the same respect here.

so dog, I guess you equally appalled when good Ole W laid big fat sloppy one on the Saadi Prince

well Rabbi, in our culture guys don't run around kissing each other unless , well you know LOL

I guess those of you who oppose to Obama bowing think that Bush and the Saudi Prince were just tuliping through the tulips when they were show walking hand in hand after kissing on another on the cheek? You Obama haters sure spread alot of hate around here.

so dog, I guess you equally appalled when good Ole W laid big fat sloppy one on the Saadi Prince

Unless Bush was kissing his ring, big, fat, hairy deal. A kiss is not a sign of submission ( absent kissing the ring ). A bow is a sign of submission. It's not like we're talking a head inclination. We're talking full, getting close to knocking your head on the floor prostation.

So I guess all the other leaders are disrespecting the emperor?

HotAirPundit: President Obama vs. The Rest of the World Greeting The Emperor of Japan (Photos)

And no, I do not think that a U.S. president should prostrate himself before any monarchy. And can anyone answer why Obama would bow to the Saudi King and the Japanese emperor and yet did not bow to the Queen of England?

Here's something you forget, in Japan bowing is not "prostrating", it's the same thing as a handshake in the US, a kiss in France, and in England it's a handshake. When in Rome ... otherwise you make an enemy. Allies are valuable, always, especially when trying to end more than two wars and avoid starting more because our troops are too thinly spread out now.

Forum List

Back