Obama bestows science, technology medals

hmmm

Jerry M. Woodall

he seems kinda conservative to me

[FONT=VERDANA,GENEVA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,SANS][SIZE=-1]My primary materials design tool is molecular beam epitaxy (MBE). I start with function (e.g., high speed optical emitters) and work backwards to determine the best and cheapest way to achieve this function (e.g., high speeds GaAs LEDs for short haul optical links).

[/FONT]
[/SIZE]

Why?

Woodall co-founded LightSpin Technologies, Inc., a high technology startup company, and serves as its Chief Science Officer. From 1993 through 1999, he held the Charles William Harrison Distinguished Professorship of Microelectronics at Purdue University. He earned a Ph.D. in electrical engineering from Cornell University and a B.S. in metallurgy from MIT.

Purdue
Cornell
MIT

Hardly centers of Republican or conservative "science". Hmmm, "Conservative Science" - an oxymoron? Oops

If Republicans were anti science then Bush would not have gave any science medals out. As I do not think science is liberal or conservative, I am just mocking your Republicans hate science position, nothing else. If pressed, I am sure I could find plenty of Republican scientists.

Consider yourself "pressed".

Big deal, the world is falling apart and the president took time away from parties, ski trips and Mo-Town entertainers to present a hunk of tin to a couple of colleges and (sinister) corporations. In the mean time the administration is facing criticism for allowing yet another terrorist into the Country with a visa and a scholorship.

Big deal, the world is falling apart and the president took time away from parties, ski trips and Mo-Town entertainers to present a hunk of tin to a couple of colleges and (sinister) corporations. In the mean time the administration is facing criticism for allowing yet another terrorist into the Country with a visa and a scholorship.
meh, they all do this

If Bush weren't anti science, he wouldn't have had every science magazine and organisation complaining about his disastrous policies. Just the fact that he tried to get scientists to change their data to match administration policies and sent out memos restricting free speech says it all. Trying to infringe on their integrity though threats and intimidation. And for once, go look it the fuck up. I post over and over again from reputable sources and you guys refuse to read it and then you cry "liar". The right wing doesn't even know what their leaders are doing.

If you actually read those things you would know they are making the same complainst about Obama and his policies.

You are either wrong or lying. I go with lying.

I know you do. Unfortunately for you, I am neither wrong, nor lying.

"We are getting complaints from government scientists now at the same rate we were during the Bush administration," said Jeffrey Ruch, an activist lawyer who heads an organization representing scientific whistle-blowers.
White House officials, however, said they remained committed to protecting science from interference and that proposed guidelines would be forwarded to Obama in the near future.
But interviews with several scientists — most of whom requested anonymity because they feared retaliation in their jobs — as well as reviews of e-mails provided by Ruch and others show a wide range of complaints during the Obama presidency:
In Florida, water-quality experts reported government interference with efforts to assess damage to the Everglades stemming from development projects.
In the Pacific Northwest, federal scientists said they were pressured to minimize the effects they had documented of dams on struggling salmon populations.
In several Western states, biologists reported being pushed to ignore the effects of overgrazing on federal land.
In Alaska, some oil and gas exploration decisions given preliminary approval under Bush moved forward under Obama, critics said, despite previously presented evidence of environmental harm.
The most immediate case of politics allegedly trumping science, some government and outside environmental experts said, was the decision to fight the gulf oil spill with huge quantities of potentially toxic chemical dispersants despite advice to examine the dangers more thoroughly.
And the Union of Concerned Scientists, a Washington-based organization, said it had received complaints from scientists in key agencies about the difficulty of speaking out publicly.

Obama - Scientists expected Obama administration to be friendlier - Los Angeles Times

You, however, are an idiot.

Woodall co-founded LightSpin Technologies, Inc., a high technology startup company, and serves as its Chief Science Officer. From 1993 through 1999, he held the Charles William Harrison Distinguished Professorship of Microelectronics at Purdue University. He earned a Ph.D. in electrical engineering from Cornell University and a B.S. in metallurgy from MIT.

Purdue
Cornell
MIT

Hardly centers of Republican or conservative "science". Hmmm, "Conservative Science" - an oxymoron? Oops

If Republicans were anti science then Bush would not have gave any science medals out. As I do not think science is liberal or conservative, I am just mocking your Republicans hate science position, nothing else. If pressed, I am sure I could find plenty of Republican scientists.

We have been through this before, remember?

dbltree

dbltree

So let me get this straight. Your one example is a guy from 1982 who later became a "libertarian"? That's it?

Jack HickeyforGovernor

If you actually read those things you would know they are making the same complainst about Obama and his policies.

"We are getting complaints from government scientists now at the same rate we were during the Bush administration," said Jeffrey Ruch, an activist lawyer who heads an organization representing scientific whistle-blowers.
White House officials, however, said they remained committed to protecting science from interference and that proposed guidelines would be forwarded to Obama in the near future.
But interviews with several scientists — most of whom requested anonymity because they feared retaliation in their jobs — as well as reviews of e-mails provided by Ruch and others show a wide range of complaints during the Obama presidency:
In Florida, water-quality experts reported government interference with efforts to assess damage to the Everglades stemming from development projects.
In the Pacific Northwest, federal scientists said they were pressured to minimize the effects they had documented of dams on struggling salmon populations.
In several Western states, biologists reported being pushed to ignore the effects of overgrazing on federal land.
In Alaska, some oil and gas exploration decisions given preliminary approval under Bush moved forward under Obama, critics said, despite previously presented evidence of environmental harm.
The most immediate case of politics allegedly trumping science, some government and outside environmental experts said, was the decision to fight the gulf oil spill with huge quantities of potentially toxic chemical dispersants despite advice to examine the dangers more thoroughly.
And the Union of Concerned Scientists, a Washington-based organization, said it had received complaints from scientists in key agencies about the difficulty of speaking out publicly.

Obama - Scientists expected Obama administration to be friendlier - Los Angeles Times

From your article:

Most of the examples provided by Ruch, Grifo and others come from scientists who insist on anonymity, making it difficult for agencies to respond specifically to the complaints. Officials at those agencies maintain that scientists are allowed and encouraged to speak out if they believe a policy is at odds with their findings.

The director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, John P. Holdren, said in a statement last month that the president effectively set policy in his March 2009 memorandum calling for administration-wide scientific integrity standards.

==================================

Christine Todd Whitman cited such interference in her decision to quit, and a recent inspector general's report suggested that political operatives stampeded agency scientists into a plan for regulating mercury pollution that is biased toward industry interests.

Scientist Named To Head The EPA (washingtonpost.com)

The Bush administration has distorted scientific fact leading to policy decisions on the environment, health, biomedical research and nuclear weaponry, a group of about 60 scientists, including 20 Nobel laureates, said in a statement on Wednesday.

Scientists: Bush Distorts Science

They weren't so willing to hide under Bush. Those scientists were published in most, if not all, science journals and publications and even Popular Mechanics.

And so you offer a few "anonymous" scientists as "proof"? You can do better than that. Or, maybe not.

dbltree

So let me get this straight. Your one example is a guy from 1982 who later became a "libertarian"? That's it?

Jack HickeyforGovernor

Even you admit that 6% of scientists are Republicans. If your figure is accurate, and there are 1,000,000 scientists, that would mean there are at least 6000 Republican scientists. I could find quite a few if pressed, but you are not pressing me, even though you might think you are. I spent about 4 seconds looking for that guy before I found him.

From your article:

Most of the examples provided by Ruch, Grifo and others come from scientists who insist on anonymity, making it difficult for agencies to respond specifically to the complaints. Officials at those agencies maintain that scientists are allowed and encouraged to speak out if they believe a policy is at odds with their findings.

The director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, John P. Holdren, said in a statement last month that the president effectively set policy in his March 2009 memorandum calling for administration-wide scientific integrity standards.

Christine Todd Whitman cited such interference in her decision to quit, and a recent inspector general's report suggested that political operatives stampeded agency scientists into a plan for regulating mercury pollution that is biased toward industry interests.

The Bush administration has distorted scientific fact leading to policy decisions on the environment, health, biomedical research and nuclear weaponry, a group of about 60 scientists, including 20 Nobel laureates, said in a statement on Wednesday.

They weren't so willing to hide under Bush. Those scientists were published in most, if not all, science journals and publications and even Popular Mechanics.

And so you offer a few "anonymous" scientists as "proof"? You can do better than that. Or, maybe not.

The funny thing is when scientists were complaining about the way Bush treated them most of them insisted on anonymity also. That did not seem to bother you in the least then, why is suddenly a problem now? I, on the other hand, completely believed the anonymous scientists then, and I still believe them now.

You want to try and debunk the data again, or will you simply realize you are an idiot, and run off instead of debating the facts?

Last edited by a moderator:

dbltree

Jack HickeyforGovernor

Even you admit that 6% of scientists are Republicans. If your figure is accurate, and there are 1,000,000 scientists, that would mean there are at least 6000 Republican scientists. I could find quite a few if pressed, but you are not pressing me, even though you might think you are. I spent about 4 seconds looking for that guy before I found him.

528-54.gif

They are pretty spread out. Might not be so easy to find. Besides, who wants to admit they supported Bush? Or the current right wingers who are extremely biased against science. Check out Eric Cantor's strategy for the country. One of the first things is to cut funding for science, math, and reading. Republicans don't want an educated population. Such a population is much more difficult to "herd".

From your article:

The funny thing is when scientists were complaining about the way Bush treated them most of them insisted on anonymity also. That did not seem to bother you in the least then, why is suddenly a problem now? I, on the other hand, completely believed the anonymous scientists then, and I still believe them now.

You want to try and debunk the data again, or will you simply realize you are an idiot, and run off instead of debating the facts?

Since it's apparent you can do a search, you might want to do another one using such terms as "Scientists flee Bush administration" or something similar.

Culture: Scientists and Bush administration at odds - US News and World Report

To date, more than 6,000 scientists—including 49 Nobel laureates and 154 members of the U.S. National Academies of Science—have signed the UCS statement ["Restoring Scientific Integrity in Policymaking"]. (why you compare that to Obama is beyond me) They charge, among other things, that the Bush administration has manipulated scientific advisory committees, altered and suppressed reports by government scientists, and misrepresented scientific knowledge in contentious areas such as global warming, air pollution, and reproductive health.

Bush administration accused of doctoring scientists' reports on climate change | Environment | The Guardian

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm

Jerry M. Woodall

[FONT=VERDANA,GENEVA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,SANS][SIZE=-1]My primary materials design tool is molecular beam epitaxy (MBE). I start with function (e.g., high speed optical emitters) and work backwards to determine the best and cheapest way to achieve this function (e.g., high speeds GaAs LEDs for short haul optical links).

[/FONT]
[/SIZE]

Pretty sure any person is going to look for the cheapest possible way to achieve their goal.

hmmm

Jerry M. Woodall

[FONT=VERDANA,GENEVA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,SANS][SIZE=-1]My primary materials design tool is molecular beam epitaxy (MBE). I start with function (e.g., high speed optical emitters) and work backwards to determine the best and cheapest way to achieve this function (e.g., high speeds GaAs LEDs for short haul optical links).[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=VERDANA,GENEVA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,SANS][SIZE=-1]

[/FONT]
[/SIZE]

Pretty sure any person is going to look for the cheapest possible way to achieve their goal.
i didnt say he WAS a conservative
just that he looks kinda conservative in the fiscal sense anyway
a liberal wouldnt care what it cost cause they wouldnt be paying for it
;)

hmmm

Jerry M. Woodall

[FONT=VERDANA,GENEVA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,SANS][SIZE=-1]

[/FONT]
[/SIZE]

;)

Come on. That's just needless stereotyping. :razz:

;)

Come on. That's just needless stereotyping. :razz:
clearly
what do you think the ;) was for ;)

Since it's apparent you can do a search, you might want to do another one using such terms as "Scientists flee Bush administration" or something similar.

Culture: Scientists and Bush administration at odds - US News and World Report

To date, more than 6,000 scientists—including 49 Nobel laureates and 154 members of the U.S. National Academies of Science—have signed the UCS statement ["Restoring Scientific Integrity in Policymaking"]. (why you compare that to Obama is beyond me) They charge, among other things, that the Bush administration has manipulated scientific advisory committees, altered and suppressed reports by government scientists, and misrepresented scientific knowledge in contentious areas such as global warming, air pollution, and reproductive health.

Bush administration accused of doctoring scientists' reports on climate change | Environment | The Guardian

Tell me something idiot, can you read?

I already admitted that Bush made science political, I am simply demanding you admit the truth and admit Obama is no better than Bush.

Obama bestows science, technology medals

Obama would not recognize a scientist if one walked into the oval office. The concept of 'science' is above his pay grade.

Forum List

Back