obama bans gun no shit

These weapons would only be allowed into our country because they are considered Curio and Relic (C&R) Firearms - Firearms which were manufactured more than 50 years prior to the current date. Others are restricted by the 1968 Gun Control Act, it added a "sporting purpose" test which barred imports of military surplus rifles (a goal of many domestic gun makers) and a "points system" for imported handguns which barred from importation handguns based on penalizing features (short barrels, small caliber, short overall length or height, non-adjustable sights, etc.) believed to define the Saturday night special class of handgun.

Just so you know.

Never heard of them before, but now I want one.....

You've never heard of the Garand? Really?

Never shot one myself, but I heard that it kicks like a mule.

Does not kick at all. Very accurate, chief drawback is the WW2 model had a download eight shot clip that eject with a loud "Bling", annoucing to one and all that you had to reload.

The '03 Springfield kicked.

Having fired both the M1 Garand and the M-16, I much prefer the Garand. Heavier, a bit more awkward to carry, but far more accurate. And not prone to jamming.

Yeah...We all know the Garand is the weapon of choice for gang-bangers. :rolleyes:

Hey that is a bad ass gun :)
Sure is...But I hardly think that a bulky, heavy antique weapon, that costs over $1,000 a throw, is going to be the hoodlums' weapon of choice.

Just a guess.

To the Mexican Drug Cartels, the $1000 a pop would be peanuts. Even though I would not mind owning one of these myself, the chances of them ending up there if sold in large batches is very high. Perhaps some of you gun nuts can come up with a surefire way of tracing individual weopons, so if some of these end up there, we could find who was the seller.

Sure is...But I hardly think that a bulky, heavy antique weapon, that costs over $1,000 a throw, is going to be the hoodlums' weapon of choice.

Just a guess.

To the Mexican Drug Cartels, the $1000 a pop would be peanuts. Even though I would not mind owning one of these myself, the chances of them ending up there if sold in large batches is very high. Perhaps some of you gun nuts can come up with a surefire way of tracing individual weopons, so if some of these end up there, we could find who was the seller.

Tracing weapons only works when dealing with honest people. Just like all gun laws.

Just a guess.

Tracing weapons only works when dealing with honest people. Just like all gun laws.

I was not refering to current methods. Embedded small electronics do not care whether the person with the gun is honest or not. It just reports where the gun is at.

I was not refering to current methods. Embedded small electronics do not care whether the person with the gun is honest or not. It just reports where the gun is at.

Somehow I doubt embedding small electronics in 850,000 C&R weapons will happen. Plus it won’t work. The Mexican Drug Cartels are very resourceful and they have better weapons already.
If someone can figure a way to trace weapons, as you suggest, the criminals will figure a way around it.

Last edited:

Just a guess.

Do you ever let an opportunity to display your sheer idiocy go by the boards?

Why, in the name of Sam Hill, would you pay $1,000+ a pop for boat anchor like a Garand (lest I fail to mention the ammo for it), when you can pick up a duffel bag full of Tec-9s or Uzis for roughly the same price?

Sheeeeeesh! :cuckoo:

Somehow I doubt embedding small electronics in 850,000 C&R weapons will happen. Plus it won’t work. The Mexican Drug Cartels are very resourceful and they have better weapons already.
If someone can figure a way to trace weapons, as you suggest, the criminals will figure a way around it.

Imbed rfid chips in all illegal aliens deported.

Yeah...We all know the Garand is the weapon of choice for gang-bangers. :rolleyes:

Just a guess.
You're quite right. The M-1 is not a weapon that anyone with ordinary illegal intentions would want. It's big and heavy, but it's an excellent infantry rifle. Hit somebody with it at even 500+ yards and he is going down. And a 30.06 black-tip (armor piercing) round will penetrate most light armor.

A squad of well-trained M-1 riflemen shooting from rest positions, each with a couple of bandoliers of 8-round clips can deliver constant, devastatingly accurate fire for a sustained period of time.

A State Department spokesman said the administration's decision was based on concerns that the guns could fall into the wrong hands.

"The transfer of such a large number of weapons -- 87,310 M1 Garands and 770,160 M1 Carbines -- could potentially be exploited by individuals seeking firearms for illicit purposes," the spokesman told FoxNews.com.
Bullshit!

What type of weapons have we given to the Iraqi Defense Forces? And what type of weapons will we eventually give to the Afghan Defense Forces?

The smartest thing we could do is buy up all these Garands and carbines, restore them and stock them for issue to allies and protectorates about $50 total cost per weapon, rather than supply them all with brand new Stoner M-16s at $3k per.

But that wouldn't make the Military Industrial Complex very happy, now would it?

m1carbine_pfc_modelgun_wwii_WW2_GUNS-s480x360-14501-580.jpg

Looks tame enough
That's a carbine and it is very tame. Surprisingly little recoil considering its relative effectiveness at close range.

Excellent weapon.

Referring to the M-1 Garand and the M-1 Carbine as "antiques" is ignorant. It's like referring to Hulk Hogan as an "old man."

Gun enthusiasts think of antique military firearms as those which predate the semi-automatic category and beyond. Anyone who has ever learned to use an M-1 and is capable of handling it knows there is nothing "antique" about it.

If the Goverment bought these rifles they would probably go here -

CMP Sales
That's where mine came from in 1954. I got it for my eighteenth birthday. My father used an M-1 on Guadalcanal and always spoke of it with great reverence. He paid $85 for it back then but they are selling for over $1,000 today (in presentable condition).

Referring to the M-1 Garand and the M-1 Carbine as "antiques" is ignorant. It's like referring to Hulk Hogan as an "old man."

Gun enthusiasts think of antique military firearms as those which predate the semi-automatic category and beyond. Anyone who has ever learned to use an M-1 and is capable of handling it knows there is nothing "antique" about it.

MikeK,
Sounds like you really like the M1's.
I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of either.
It's a shame if these aren't allowed in.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back