OBAMA: Auto Industry Bailout Saved 1 Million Jobs

http://trade.gov/static/auto_reports_jobloss.pdf

According to data from the U.S. Labor Department’s Bureau of Labor and Statistics (BLS), total
automotive employment in the United States increased by 8% from 1991 to 2005 (but by just 4%
since 1990), rising from 1,054,000 workers to 1,098,000.

The automotive parts companies experienced an 8% increase in employment from 1990 to 2005
(12% from 1991), growing from 782,800 to 848,400 workers,

Total automotive employment is approximately 2 million workers which includes production and parts. What would have been the impact if the automotive industry would have been allowed to collapse? Would half of those workers have lost their jobs while the US Auto industry restructured itself and looked for investors?
1 million lost jobs seems possible.

The bigger question was the money we invested in the bailout worth it?

Hell yes
I agree...if by "bailout" you mean, "giving money to Democrat special interest groups".

It's true. Unions are lobbying for 401Ks (and perhaps IRAs) to be seized to bail them out of their underfunded pension funds.

In February, the White House released its “Annual Report on the Middle Class” containing new regulations favored by Big Labor including a bailout of critically underfunded union pension plans through “retirement security” options.

The radical solution most favored by Big Labor is the seizure of private 401(k) plans for government disbursement — which lets them off the hook for their collapsing retirement scheme. And, of course, the Obama administration is eager to accommodate their buddies.

Vice President Joe Biden floated the idea, called “Guaranteed Retirement Accounts” (GRAs), in the February “Middle Class” report.

Gateway Pundit

It's true. Unions are lobbying for 401Ks (and perhaps IRAs) to be seized to bail them out of their underfunded pension funds.

In February, the White House released its “Annual Report on the Middle Class” containing new regulations favored by Big Labor including a bailout of critically underfunded union pension plans through “retirement security” options.

The radical solution most favored by Big Labor is the seizure of private 401(k) plans for government disbursement — which lets them off the hook for their collapsing retirement scheme. And, of course, the Obama administration is eager to accommodate their buddies.

Vice President Joe Biden floated the idea, called “Guaranteed Retirement Accounts” (GRAs), in the February “Middle Class” report.

Gateway Pundit

Damned Shame I cannot REP you right now.

According to data from the U.S. Labor Department’s Bureau of Labor and Statistics (BLS), total
automotive employment in the United States increased by 8% from 1991 to 2005 (but by just 4%
since 1990), rising from 1,054,000 workers to 1,098,000.

The automotive parts companies experienced an 8% increase in employment from 1990 to 2005
(12% from 1991), growing from 782,800 to 848,400 workers,

Total automotive employment is approximately 2 million workers which includes production and parts. What would have been the impact if the automotive industry would have been allowed to collapse? Would half of those workers have lost their jobs while the US Auto industry restructured itself and looked for investors?

Hell yes
I agree...if by "bailout" you mean, "giving money to Democrat special interest groups".

Obama and the Statists in the Congress practice this on a regular basis.

It's undeniable.

Over 8 years, the Clinton administration created 26 million jobs.

The Bush administration created 23 million jobs. Three million in this country and 20 million in China.

How many did the Bush/Republican stimulus package save?

Bush: Stimulus package was needed - Kansas City Business Journal

At his final news conference Monday morning as commander-in-chief, President Bush stood by his decision to support the U.S. Treasury Department’s injection of billions of dollars into the economy to unfreeze the financial markets.

Asked by a reporter whether he would ask for the remaining $350 billion in economic stimulus money before President-elect Barack Obama steps in...............

Ahh, history. So recent.

i've asked this a few times and can never seem to get a response.

dems point to clinton and say, he created 26 million jobs
dems point to bush and say, he only created 3 millions jobs

i understand this argument to mean that democrats know how to better handle the economy/create jobs than do republicans.

if that is the case, if it's as easy as "let's follow the clinton model" how has obama done that?

do obama's policies more closely resemble bush's or clinton's?

stimulus bills, bailouts, tax cuts, increased spending, new expenseive entitlement programs were all things bush did. obama has continued them.

under clinton there was more of an emphasis on free trade and decreased regulation, cutting welfare programs, not to mention the whole internet boom.

what successful clinton policy has obama continued?

can someone answer that for me?

Gateway Pundit

Wow. That's pretty damned fascist.

Hell yes

Obama and the Statists in the Congress practice this on a regular basis.

It's undeniable.

That's what Obama's stimulus package was. Political payback.

We merely bailed out their union pensions. We didn't do anything else.

What's gonna ruin the auto industry is the soon to follow gasoline price increases that will begin in earnest next year after the effects of the Obama Administration's monkeying with domestic energy supplies and the 6 month moratorium on drilling....that will never end.

Yep and be on the lookout when the Government commandeers 401k's and other plans to pay back Obama's PALS.

I'm thinking of yanking MINE and putting it where these bastards can't touch it.

I heard about the unions wanting the government to go after the 401k packages last years. So whats the plan now?

Why the Government Wants to Hijack Your 401(k)

Obama Eyes 401K and IRAs for Government Control and Theft

These sons-of-bitches see a HUGE pile of money for them to commandeer and control just as healthcare..Just as Banks, Salaries for CEO's, Corporate takeovers...and all the rest of it.

BEWARE.

Their intent is just what you read. The tentacles of Statism/Tyranny are spreading.

Hell yes

What's gonna ruin the auto industry is the soon to follow gasoline price increases that will begin in earnest next year after the effects of the Obama Administration's monkeying with domestic energy supplies and the 6 month moratorium on drilling....that will never end.

Yep and be on the lookout when the Government commandeers 401k's and other plans to pay back Obama's PALS.

I'm thinking of yanking MINE and putting it where these bastards can't touch it.

Comandeer your 401Ks?

Why I hear he is a Communist and is going to take everyones money and give it to the poor

You guys will believe anything....after all you believe everything Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck say

Gateway Pundit

You are in deep trouble

If I were you, I would cash out my IRA and bury it 6 feet deep so Obama can't find it.......bury your guns too!

You don't know what else Obama wants to take

Last edited:
Put the car in (D) to drive over the cliff and put the car in (R) if you want to get back on the highway and finish your trip - Me

The Bush administration created 23 million jobs. Three million in this country and 20 million in China.

At his final news conference Monday morning as commander-in-chief, President Bush stood by his decision to support the U.S. Treasury Department’s injection of billions of dollars into the economy to unfreeze the financial markets.

Asked by a reporter whether he would ask for the remaining $350 billion in economic stimulus money before President-elect Barack Obama steps in...............

Ahh, history. So recent.

i understand this argument to mean that democrats know how to better handle the economy/create jobs than do republicans.

if that is the case, if it's as easy as "let's follow the clinton model" how has obama done that?

stimulus bills, bailouts, tax cuts, increased spending, new expenseive entitlement programs were all things bush did. obama has continued them.

under clinton there was more of an emphasis on free trade and decreased regulation, cutting welfare programs, not to mention the whole internet boom.

When Clinton left office, he handed Bush a sparkling economy and a Dow that was at 11,000.

When Clinton entered office, Reagan, after making the biggest tax increase in history, and by following the Democrats handed Bush 1 a less than terrible economy. Bush 1 was much less of a disaster then his son and didn't hand Clinton a ruined economy.

When Bush left office, he handed Obama two unpaid for and failed wars, a Dow at 6,000 (that's a drop of 5,000), trillions in national debt, a ruined economy, and scandal at every level of government, the Justice Dept, the EPA, Minerals and Energy. Not a single department of the Government that wasn't corrupted.

Republicans claim that Democrats had the majority. How is 49 to 49 in the Senate, with two independents, a "majority"? Especially against the "filibuster"?

So Obama hasn't been able to "follow what Clinton did" because he has been working to bring the economy "out of the ditch".

If we followed what Republicans wanted, millions who worked in the auto industry would be living on the streets. Would Republicans even spend the money for "soup kitchens"? One wonders. I think this current crop of Republicans would let millions starve. Especially if they could somehow make a profit out of it. After all, they stood by and watched Christian genocide in Iraq. And they call that a "success".

Comandeer your 401Ks?

Why I hear he is a Communist and is going to take everyones money and give it to the poor

You guys will believe anything....after all you believe everything Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck say

Has nothing to do with either of them sewerboy.

Nice try though. NOT

I heard about the unions wanting the government to go after the 401k packages last years. So whats the plan now?

These sons-of-bitches see a HUGE pile of money for them to commandeer and control just as healthcare..Just as Banks, Salaries for CEO's, Corporate takeovers...and all the rest of it.

BEWARE.

Their intent is just what you read. The tentacles of Statism/Tyranny are spreading.

The CEO of Cigna was given a 73 million dollar bonus. Did you have any problem with that?

Ahh, history. So recent.

When Clinton left office, he handed Bush a sparkling economy and a Dow that was at 11,000.

When Clinton entered office, Reagan, after making the biggest tax increase in history, and by following the Democrats handed Bush 1 a less than terrible economy. Bush 1 was much less of a disaster then his son and didn't hand Clinton a ruined economy.

When Bush left office, he handed Obama two unpaid for and failed wars, a Dow at 6,000 (that's a drop of 5,000), trillions in national debt, a ruined economy, and scandal at every level of government, the Justice Dept, the EPA, Minerals and Energy. Not a single department of the Government that wasn't corrupted.

Republicans claim that Democrats had the majority. How is 49 to 49 in the Senate, with two independents, a "majority"? Especially against the "filibuster"?

So Obama hasn't been able to "follow what Clinton did" because he has been working to bring the economy "out of the ditch".

If we followed what Republicans wanted, millions who worked in the auto industry would be living on the streets. Would Republicans even spend the money for "soup kitchens"? One wonders. I think this current crop of Republicans would let millions starve. Especially if they could somehow make a profit out of it. After all, they stood by and watched Christian genocide in Iraq. And they call that a "success".

Keep licking that Statist ASS Deany...

BEWARE.

The CEO of Cigna was given a 73 million dollar bonus. Did you have any problem with that?

And what business is it of YOURS, MINE or Obama's? Answer? ZERO. They have shareholders to deal with dipshit.

You wealth envy freaks are just that. You want that kinda wealth? WORK for it dumbass...stop trying to take it from them.

Last edited:

Ahh, history. So recent.

bush inherited a recession from clinton, (dotcom bubble) hardly a sparkling economy. and then 9/11 happened. blame bush for that if you want.

bush corrupted all government agencies? really?

if bush did everything wrong, why is obama following virtually every one of his policies?
and please tell me, what did clinton do that was so great for the economy? why were 26 million jobs created under clinton?

bush inherited a recession from clinton, (dotcom bubble) hardly a sparkling economy. and then 9/11 happened. blame bush for that if you want.

if bush did everything wrong, why is obama following virtually every one of his policies?
and please tell me, what did clinton do that was so great for the economy? why were 26 million jobs created under clinton?

I'm waiting for someone to say there was a surplus aftyer clinton left office.

Bush did some pretty bonehead shit. This is not in dispute. In fact many of us chided Bush for it...

But for Obama and the Statists in Congress that have been there since '06/'07 ...Tripling the debt? With More promises of the same on the way?

Piss poor employment right now? (NOT getting better) And they refuse to get out of the way...are refusing to extend Tax Cuts...

Clinton's hand was forced to the CENTER. Obama and

this Congress are left and turning harder left.

But notice in most leftist posts? They're STILL running against BUSH...and policies BUSH would have never gotten away with.

I sincerely DARE the left to run against BUSH this November.

Last edited:

Bush did some pretty bonehead shit. This is not in dispute. In fact many of us chided Bush for it...

But for Obama and the Statists in Congress that have been there since '06/'07 ...Tripling the debt? With More promises of the same on the way?

Piss poor employment right now? (NOT getting better) And they refuse to get out of the way...are refusing to extend Tax Cuts...

Clinton's hand was forced to the CENTER. Obama and

this Congress are left and turning harder left.

But notice in most leftist posts? They're STILL running against BUSH...and policies BUSH would have never gotten away with.

I sincerely DARE the left to run against BUSH this November.

can ANYONE tell me what Clinton did that was so great that created those 26 million jobs? the man had great timing, i'll give him that. what else did he have going for him? rdean? anything?

Forum List

Back