Obama attempts delay withdrawl from Iraq?

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
This New York Post Article reports just that.

WHILE campaigning in public for a speedy withdrawal of US troops from Iraq, Sen. Barack Obama has tried in private to persuade Iraqi leaders to delay an agreement on a draw-down of the American military presence.

According to Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari, Obama made his demand for delay a key theme of his discussions with Iraqi leaders in Baghdad in July.

"He asked why we were not prepared to delay an agreement until after the US elections and the formation of a new administration in Washington," Zebari said in an interview.

Sounds like Obama's "change" is politics as usual, say one thing while doing the opposite.

Jesus flipping Christ. Do you people even look at the threads already made now a days?

This is least the THIRD or FOURTH thread on this topic alone.

Jesus flipping Christ. Do you people even look at the threads already made now a days?

This is least the THIRD or FOURTH thread on this topic alone.

not everyone can sit on this website all day and watch the 100's of threads that get started then get buried. please remember that.

not everyone can sit on this website all day and watch the 100's of threads that get started then get buried. please remember that.

:eusa_boohoo:

Buried? They're on the 1st and 2nd page. Not my fault some people are too damn lazy to open their eyes.

Just call me Kirk :)

So wait, your going to do the same thing you bash Kirk for?

I'm pretty sure that's a form of hypocrisy or at the very least irony.

You: Kirk, your being a troll!

*You go off and do the same thing*

You: Kirk, your still a troll! I however am fine!

:cuckoo:

:eusa_boohoo:

Buried? They're on the 1st and 2nd page. Not my fault some people are too damn lazy to open their eyes.

ok, buried is the wrong term to use i apologize. this i my first time logging in today and there are over 1k new posts. if you expect people to siphon though 1k posts before the start a new topic, you have to be crazy.

So wait, your going to do the same thing you bash Kirk for?

I'm pretty sure that's a form of hypocrisy or at the very least irony.

You: Kirk, your being a troll!

*You go off and do the same thing*

You: Kirk, your still a troll! I however am fine!

See the smiley face? Need I say more?

ok, buried is the wrong term to use i apologize. this i my first time logging in today and there are over 1k new posts. if you expect people to siphon though 1k posts before the start a new topic, you have to be crazy.

No but simply scrolling down the page or two is easy and simple.

Besides, do you think that honestly that wouldn't be posted by someone else by now? Especially if you got it off a main stream site knowing how the people are on this site?

Besides, do you think that honestly that wouldn't be posted by someone else by now? Especially if you got it off a main stream site knowing how the people are on this site?

To be honest, no. I was surprised I didn't see it. Like I said, I expected it to be the #1 post.

Finish you milk and cookies, Robbie----it's getting late. :D

Finish you milk and cookies, Robbie----it's getting late. :D

Hardy Har Har, another age joke eh.

Coming from the same group that decries any attempt to say John McCain is too old to be President. However, I'm supposedly too young to know about politics?

Hardy Har Har, another age joke eh.

Coming from the same group that decries any attempt to say John McCain is too old to be President. However, I'm supposedly too young to know about politics?

You must admit, your life experience is limited, but I applaud your interest in politics. I think your views may change as you get older (mine did) but then again maybe not. Only time will tell.

If it were true, I'd pull my support for Obama....however, not only does it come from the New York Post, but the source of the story is none other than Iranian conservative Amir Taheri. Amir Taheri has a track record of being uncredible.

The story is corroborated by a NYT article that ran on June 18th:

FLINT, Mich. – Senator Barack Obama said today he intends to visit Iraq and Afghanistan before the November election.

Mr. Obama, who spoke to the Iraqi foreign minister by telephone this morning, said he was “encouraged” by the reductions in violence in Iraq. But he said the United States still must begin gradually withdrawing troops, at a pace of one to two brigades a month, with a goal of removing most combat troops in 16 months.

“We have no interest in permanent bases in Iraq,” Mr. Obama said. “I gave him an assurance that should we be elected, an Obama administration will make sure that we continue with the progress that’s been made in Iraq – that we won’t act precipitously, but that we will move to end U.S. combat forces in Iraq.”

As Mr. Obama arrived in Michigan for a campaign stop on the economy, he shared details of his morning telephone call with Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari. On Sunday, Mr. Zebari had a face-to-face meeting with Senator John McCain of Arizona, the presumptive Republican nominee.

Among the issues being discussed with the two presidential candidates is the long-term security accord between Iraq and the United States. While the Bush administration would like to see an agreement reached before the summer’s political conventions, Mr. Obama said today that he opposed such a timetable.

“My concern is that the Bush administration, in a weakened state politically, ends up trying to rush an agreement that in some ways might be binding to the next administration, whether it’s my administration or Senator McCain’s administration,” Mr. Obama said. “The foreign minister agreed that the next administration should not be bound by an agreement that’s currently made.”

Mr. Obama, who has not been to Iraq for more than two years, told the New York Times last month that he intended to visit Iraq. His comments today after talking to Mr. Zebari underscored that desire, saying: “I told him that I look forward to seeing him in Baghdad.”

Late last month, Mr. McCain invited Mr. Obama to embark on a joint trip to Iraq, a gesture that Mr. Obama dismissed as a political stunt. The Republican National Committee started a clock, keeping track of the days it has been since Mr. Obama’s visit in January 2006.

“In the nearly 900 days since Barack Obama visited Iraq, the facts on the ground have changed dramatically – but his ideologically-driven position has not,” said Alex Conant, a Republican spokesman. “When Obama visits Iraq, he’ll see that he was wrong to oppose the surge, wrong to continue to ignore our commanders’ advice and wrong to demand premature withdrawal.”

Today, Mr. Obama did not say specifically when he intended to take his foreign trip.

“You know, we’ll make an announcement about that,” he said. “But as I said, I’m interested in visiting Iraq and Afghanistan before the election.”

Obama Plans Trip Pre-Election Day Visit to Iraq and Afghanistan - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com

I urge all of my fellow fair-minded Americans to contact their congresscritters and ask them to investigate Barack Obama for violating the Logan Act.

Forum List

Back