Obama As Jesus Painting On Display After Canceled Event

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
links in article at site

SNIP:

By Amanda Crum · November 28, 2012 · 134 Comments

A painting depicting President Obama in a religious pose is now on display at Bunker Hill Community College in Boston, and it’s garnering some protests from those who think it’s blasphemous.

Artist Michael D’Antuono originally planned to display the piece in an art installation in New York’s Union Square on the president’s 100th day in office, but so many protesters contacted him about it–he received over 4,000 emails–that he canceled the event. It’s something he says he regrets now.

“I always regretted cancelling my exhibit in New York because I feel my First Amendment rights should override someone’s hurt feelings,” D’Antuono said. “We should celebrate the fact that we live in a country where we are given the freedom to express ourselves.”

D’Antuono says the painting is meant to be metaphorical and isn’t a comparison to Christ, but members of the Catholic Church say that’s not good enough. The President of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights–Bill Donohue–issued a statement about the artwork recently, saying that since Obama’s re-election, D’Antuono feels it’s safe to display a piece depicting the president’s “crucifixion”.

all of it here
Obama As Jesus Painting On Display After Canceled Event | WebProNews

Forum List

Back