Obama Approves Aid Package To Syrian Rebels: Yea or Nay?

Do You Support Obama's Aid To Syrian Rebels?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
US President Barack Obama has approved non-lethal US aid, including communications equipment and medicines for Syria's rebels, and plans to increase the package over time, a US official said Friday.

The administration had previously indicated it would take such a step, in line with an initiative by the international "Friends of Syria" group to bolster opponents of President Bashar al-Assad's regime.

"Consistent with our longstanding efforts to support the peaceful opposition in Syria, the US is providing non-lethal material assistance to the non-violent, political opposition," the official said.

The medical supplies and communications equipment includes items the opposition asked for to help civilians in need and to organize themselves to combat "brutality" by government forces, the official said.

"It's likely deliveries of this assistance will increase over time."

So what do you think?

Obama approves aid package to Syrian rebels - Yahoo! News Canada
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

It would be nice if the American People actually had a say in this stuff huh? The Foreign Aid issue definitely needs to be re-examined. I mean, we're $16 Trillion in Debt for God's sake. And Obama and the Democrats are now pushing for higher Taxes as well. So this is definitely an expenditure the American People can do without.

Unless you are sending in weapons and special forces people to help train and organize these rebels your doing nothing and I'm not in favor of sending troops there so this is a big nay.

Since we are almost 16 trillion in debt my answer is nay. Even if we were not so far in the hole does anyone really think this type of stuff would help the rebels turn the tide in Syria?

I don't know why ya'll are hating on this, yes, he should, and, we should give them lethal aid as well.

the gains if Syria collapses just in time alone would be great, it would scramble Irans chessboard, and I don't think they go Egyptian on us ala the MB either.

I don't know why ya'll are hating on this, yes, he should, and, we should give them lethal aid as well.

the gains if Syria collapses just in time alone would be great, it would scramble Irans chessboard, and I don't think they go Egyptian on us ala the MB either.

Most folks are penny wise and pound foolish. This is $$ well spent.

It's only money well spent if what takes over is better than the current regime and in the middle east that is far from certain. The west helped with overthrow in Libya and we still don't know what will take over there Mubarak was tossed in Egypt and I get the feeling something much more radical may take power there.

That would be a hell no.

Clinton: Al Qaeda, U.S., Helping Syrian Rebels

by Paul Joseph Watson

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has admitted that Al-Qaeda and other groups on the State Department’s terror list are on the same side as the United States in Syria and that they are aiding opposition rebels.

In an interview with BBC News (watch video), Clinton states, “We have a very dangerous set of actors in the region, Al-Qaeda, Hamas, and those who are on our terrorist list, to be sure, supporting – claiming to support the opposition [in Syria].”

Clinton’s admission that Al-Qaeda is supporting the armed insurrection in Syria dovetails with reports that the same Al-Qaeda terrorists who helped overthrow Colonel Gaddafi in Libya were airlifted into Syria by NATO forces.

Al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri’s has also publicly expressed support for Syrian rebel forces.

These terrorists have been blamed for bloody attacks that have killed both Syrian regime officials and innocent civilians, including a bombing earlier this month in Syria’s second city of Aleppo which killed 28 people.

The recent Arab League report, which was almost universally ignored by the mainstream media, also concluded that both sides of the conflict were responsible for indiscriminate violence and that terrorist groups were helping the rebels carry out attacks.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=29581

It's only money well spent if what takes over is better than the current regime and in the middle east that is far from certain. The west helped with overthrow in Libya and we still don't know what will take over there Mubarak was tossed in Egypt and I get the feeling something much more radical may take power there.

Libya was a mistake, its always interesting to me to hear people how made the argument that we had saddam contained, sppting the libyan venture wherein we had defanged qadaffi ( ala nukes) and then we went ahead anyway and sppted a region change to satisfy french Italian and british oil interests who were getting antsy with qadaffi and thought they would get a better deal with a new ruler....I am not saying you, just throwing that out there in general. Qadaffi was a nut but the killing syria has eclipsed anything he did and assads daddy offed 20K back in the 80's to boot.

Egypt will turn out to be a mistake too. imho.

Syria is not quite the same kettle of fish. the alawite regime running the joint now, that is assad, are a very small minority, syrians are more cosmopolitan, I do not see them welcoming fundie rule.....with assad donw they don't and won't have any love for iran et al, which means Hezbollah tap of arms will be turned off, which means that eventually the non shiite interests in Lebanon, as in Maronite and sunni's will slowly gain back the upper hand. That is in our interest.

Libya was a mistake, its always interesting to me to hear people how made the argument that we had saddam contained, sppting the libyan venture wherein we had defanged qadaffi ( ala nukes) and then we went ahead anyway and sppted a region change to satisfy french Italian and british oil interests who were getting antsy with qadaffi and thought they would get a better deal with a new ruler....I am not saying you, just throwing that out there in general. Qadaffi was a nut but the killing syria has eclipsed anything he did and assads daddy offed 20K back in the 80's to boot.

Egypt will turn out to be a mistake too. imho.

Syria is not quite the same kettle of fish. the alawite regime running the joint now, that is assad, are a very small minority, syrians are more cosmopolitan, I do not see them welcoming fundie rule.....with assad donw they don't and won't have any love for iran et al, which means Hezbollah tap of arms will be turned off, which means that eventually the non shiite interests in Lebanon, as in Maronite and sunni's will slowly gain back the upper hand. That is in our interest.
If everything in Syria worked out as you described that would be great and in our interest but how often do things in the middle east work out in our interest? If we choose to get involved in Syria we better follow the motto of hope for the best but prepare for the worst and have a good back up plan ready.

US President Barack Obama has approved non-lethal US aid, including communications equipment and medicines for Syria's rebels, and plans to increase the package over time, a US official said Friday.

The administration had previously indicated it would take such a step, in line with an initiative by the international "Friends of Syria" group to bolster opponents of President Bashar al-Assad's regime.

"Consistent with our longstanding efforts to support the peaceful opposition in Syria, the US is providing non-lethal material assistance to the non-violent, political opposition," the official said.

The medical supplies and communications equipment includes items the opposition asked for to help civilians in need and to organize themselves to combat "brutality" by government forces, the official said.

"It's likely deliveries of this assistance will increase over time."

So what do you think?

Obama approves aid package to Syrian rebels - Yahoo! News Canada
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

Ahhh, baby steps to war.

Just like Kennedy. Oh, they are just advisers, we are not going to war.

Forum List

Back