Obama: ‘Apology’ in Cairo embassy attack was ‘an effort to cool the situation down

Amazing the short memory conservatives have..
These disruptions are occurring because opponents are afraid not just of differing views — but of the facts themselves. Drowning out opposing views is simply un-American.

-- Nancy Pelosi, 2009, speaking about Republicans during the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act bill

Instead of fighting with us, which is your right to do, let’s work together.

--Nancy Pelosi, 2007, speaking about Code Pink war protesters

Remember that? Dissent used to be patriotic. Now it's treason.

Then you shouldn't have started that meme after 9/11 dipshit..
If you object to it, why do you perpetuate it?

Remember all those people who said that merely disagreeing publicly, protesting etc., the Iraq War was a threat to American lives?

Remember how THAT was supposedly encouraging Muslims to violence??

These disruptions are occurring because opponents are afraid not just of differing views — but of the facts themselves. Drowning out opposing views is simply un-American.

-- Nancy Pelosi, 2009, speaking about Republicans during the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act bill

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpPABLW6F_A]Either you are with us or you are with the terrorists - YouTube[/ame]

Yeah..right..Daveman.

:eusa_hand:

What's so 'bad' about this:
" During a CBS interview last night President Obama distanced himself from the “apology” issued by the U.S. Embassy in Cairo, suggesting that it was merely an effort by the staff to “cool the situation down.”

“It didn’t come from me. It didn’t come from Secretary Clinton,” Obama said. “It came from folks on the ground who are potentially in danger. And my tendency is to cut those folks a little bit of slack when they’re in that circumstance rather than try to question their judgment from the comfort of a campaign office.”

“The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions,” the embassy said in a statement in reaction to the attack."

What's the big deal? Should the embassies and consulates just have released a statement that told the people in their host country (where they are fucking outnumbered) to go FUCK themselves? Or would you people call that an 'apology' too? :lol:

You and I know it wouldn't have mattered WHAT he said or if he'd said nothing at all....this isn't about the Condemnation....it's all politics and trying to take advantage of the Deaths of 4 Americans.

Whether you agree or disagree with the movie, when people are murdered over it, condemning the view of the movie as the first course of action is pathetic. You were in the military and that's your view of freedom? It only applies to people you agree with?

So you admit that the Embassy's comments were Condemnations, NOT Apologies.....PROGRESS!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpPABLW6F_A]Either you are with us or you are with the terrorists - YouTube[/ame]

Yeah..right..Daveman.

:eusa_hand:
You just keep pretending your side doesn't do the exact same things you condemn my side for doing.

Chicks dig that. No, really.

daveman believes that Romney can be elected when the far right crazees are running around acting like ding dongs.

Ding Dong Daveman is a joke.

Then you shouldn't have started that meme after 9/11 dipshit..
If you object to it, why do you perpetuate it?

Its fun to play your games. Terrorist, you support the enemy because you don't support Obama....

Compare and contrast the Embassy statement, aka the infamous 'apology':

The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions. Today, the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, Americans are honoring our patriots and those who serve our nation as the fitting response to the enemies of democracy. Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy. We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others...

...to Mitt Romney's statement, aka 'apology', three days ago:

And the idea of using something that some people consider sacred and then parading that out a negative way is simply inappropriate and wrong. And I wish people wouldn’t do it. Of course, we have a First Amendment. And under the First Amendment, people are allowed to do what they feel they want to do. They have the right to do that, but it’s not right to do things that are of the nature of what was done by, apparently this film.

Who wants to show us a dime's worth of difference between the two????

Specifics, please.

Doesn't ANYONE who thinks the embassy statement was an apology want to tell us why Mitt Romney's statement, which btw was long AFTER the attack,

was NOT an apology?

ANYONE?

because the Obama embassy apology was their FIRST response to violence.....

that statement you quoted by Romney was NOT his first response....

THIS is Romney's first response after the embassy apology....“it’s disgraceful that the Obama administration’s first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks.”

Yo.............Squeaky Pigeon.................a couple of things you missed or got wrong there dude....................

First off, the embassy in Cairo Egypt (knowing that the 9/11 anniversary is a favorite date of terrorists) released that statement in the morning, about 6 hours before the attacks in Benghazi.

6 hours later, the embassy in Benghazi was attacked by 4 black SUV's, flying the black Taliban flag. After the attack? That is when the people hanging around decided to loot the embassy. According to reports by various news agencies who interviewed people on the ground there in Benghazi, there were no demonstrations prior to the attack.

4 hours into the attack on Benghazi? Mittens releases his statement about Obama's non apology.

And by the way............free speech works both ways. If you say something that I don't agree with, then under free speech, if I find your views to be abhorrent to me, I have the right under free speech to condemn what you say as being divisive.

Matter of fact, I spent 20 years in the military to defend that right, among other things, and the way I figure, that means you can even burn a flag, or shout "goddamn the USA" if you choose to. You've got free speech.

On the other hand, I also being a citizen of this country, and also being allowed free speech am allowed to call you a stupid asshole for burning the flag, or even call you a dumb fucker for saying goddamn the USA, and tell you to take your ass to another country.

See how that works?

No, the government didn't shut down the YouTube video, and yes, people can still access it and watch if they so choose. But, the government doesn't have to approve of what some idiot citizens did and can condemn them.

And a condemnation is NOT an apology. It's actually the opposite, because in an apology you tell people that you're sorry and you take responsibility for something. In a condemnation, you state that what was just said was stupid and you agree with a lot of other people in calling what was said stupid.

No free speech rights have been harmed yet.

Forum List

Back