Obama and Unions

I personally hate Unions. Why pay all those Unions dues so the union boss can sail around in his Yacht that all the unions’ members paid for.

Unions don't encourage hard work. They do the opposite, based on my experience. I quit that job and never ever want to be part of another one.

I personally hate Unions. Why pay all those Unions dues so the union boss can sail around in his Yacht that all the unions’ members paid for.

Unions don't encourage hard work. They do the opposite, based on my experience. I quit that job and never ever want to be part of another one.

I think they served a purpose at one time but they don't have the power to provide what they claim they can. The economy is too global and labor too available.

The Unions are made up of people that know they aren't alone, but have support for fairness! BUT: TRUTH,,, THE MOST PART UNION BUSTERS ARE BUSY "IN THE OFFICIALS OF THE LOCALS AND UP! ( A.F. of L. / C.I.O. NEEDS TO BE REVIVED!!! As it WAS in the Early '50s!)

Right to work or employment without membership in labor organization!
When Union Halls Become Hiring Halls ~ Does that still Apply!!! " UNION BUSTING MOVE"
Like Calling U.S. CITIZENS ~ Americans!! Moving to a Bigger / Weaker Title!!!

I forgot, can't talk bad about unions to people form the north east since they are predominately union regardless of the fact that most unions are constantly being investigated by the FBI, have stong mafia influences, are corrupt, etc. GOD SAVE OUR UNIONS!!

DUH!!!

I have never been a member of a union, MD.

I stand by my original point.

Bad unions are bad for workers, good unions are good for workers.

Not that it much matters now since unions are defanged and worthless.

Good unions are good.

Corrupt unions are not.

duh!

And all the National level Unions are CORRUPT. They are thugs, murders, thieves and worse. Further they are EXACTLY what unions were created to fight. Big Business.

Go ahead explain how the National Union Officers, staff and such continue to get paid while parts of the union are ordered out on strike?

The National Unions do not care about the worker or union member they care about money and the officers and staff at the national level. They have a vested interest in demanding cash rather than benefits for example. More pay to the union members more excuse for more dues. They do not care that they drive companies to the brink of bankruptcy with their demands and cut productivity and lose union jobs in the process.

Yeah, this is just a horrible idea. This is the nonsense that scares the life out of me with the Democrats running everything.

Union votes should all be done in secret. Its an idiotic argument to suggest that union members are too dumb or weak to vote in their best interests in a secret ballot.

Maybe we should scrap secret ballots for all elections?

fyi

Lies & Distortion on the Secret Ballot
Business special interest groups have launched a $120 million campaign to derail reform of the nation's broken labor law system by lying about the Employee Free Choice Act. Their only line of attack - that the bill somehow takes away so-called "secret ballot" elections for joining a union - is blatantly false.

The Employee Free Choice Act not only strengthens the current process for workers forming unions, but also provides for a more fair and democratic method for men and women to join unions.

Here are the facts...the opposition's fiction about the Employee Free Choice Act:

Fiction: The "legislation would end the rights of employees to secret ballot elections."
– Center for Union Facts

FACT: The Employee Free Choice Act does not abolish elections or "secret ballots." Under the proposed legislation, workers get to choose the union formation process—elections or majority sign-up. Under current law, the choice to recognize a union rests only with employers.

What the Employee Free Choice Act does prevent is an employer manipulating the flawed system to influence the election outcome. When faced with organizing campaigns: 25 percent of employers illegally fire pro-union workers; 51 percent of employers illegally threaten to close down worksites if the union prevails; and, 34 percent of employers coerce workers into opposing the union with bribes and favoritism.

Fiction: "Legal recognition of a union has traditionally been achieved through secret ballot elections…just like how a person votes for a senator or congressman."
– Center for Union Facts

FACT: Current union elections involving "secret ballots" bear no resemblance to political elections. Workers' free speech rights are squelched, employers practice various forms of economic coercion, and labor law allows employers to indefinitely delay recognition through drawn-out appeals. Says >University of Oregon political scientist Gordon Lafer: "The presence of secret ballots can't overcome the corrupt nature of NLRB elections ."

Fiction: NLRB elections are "the only way to guarantee worker protection from coercion and intimidation."
– Coalition for a Democratic Workplace

FACT: Workers are more susceptible to coercion in NLRB elections than majority sign-up. Workers in NLRB elections are twice as likely (46 percent vs. 23 percent) as those in majority sign-up campaigns to report that management coerced them to oppose the union. Further, less than one in 20 workers (4.6 percent) who signed a card with a union organizer reported that the presence of the organizer made them feel pressured to sign the card.

Fiction: Majority sign-up is a "new approach" to forming unions.
– Center for Union Facts

FACT: Majority sign-up is a common way to form unions, and has been used since at least the 1950s. Even major corporations like AT&T allow their workers to join unions using majority sign-up. The Employee Free Choice Act is necessary today because employers have become increasingly bold in violating employees' rights and the law under the NLRB election process. When that process was developed, employers did not routinely engage in the massive legal and illegal violation of workers’ rights that is commonplace today.

continued here: American Rights at Work - Lies & Distortion on the Secret Ballot

Last edited:
Unions? How about management's inability to design vehicles that were actually wanted by the consumer? How long did it take Detroit to cotton onto the new demands? Why do you think Toyota - with a unionised workforce - is the number one carmaker in the world?

I happen to know a little something about this. I was told in the 70's, while I was still in High School, by the father of a friend of mine who was a GM executive that Japan was going to kick our asses in building cars because the unions wouldn't let GM re-design their cars because it would have required re-tooling as well. In other words, the workforce would have been required to re-train and, as in Japan, the newer factories would have required fewer workers. What he told me turned out to be absolutely true. They did kick our butt's and was given only one reprieve when Reagan took office to recover but they are still fighting the same battle.

I happen to know a little something about this. I was told in the 70's, while I was still in High School, by the father of a friend of mine who was a GM executive that Japan was going to kick our asses in building cars because the unions wouldn't let GM re-design their cars because it would have required re-tooling as well. In other words, the workforce would have been required to re-train and, as in Japan, the newer factories would have required fewer workers. What he told me turned out to be absolutely true. They did kick our butt's and was given only one reprieve when Reagan took office to recover but they are still fighting the same battle.

PROOF PLEASE...give a link to support YOUR OPINION, pretty please! :)

What are you talking about? Japan has unions too. In fact, they have a higher rate of union membership than we do.

So, this was a false example of a non-union industry beating a union industry.

I would say it was the management of toyota that kicked the ass of GMs management.

What are you talking about? Japan has unions too. In fact, they have a higher rate of union membership than we do.

So, this was a false example of a non-union industry beating a union industry.

I would say it was the management of toyota that kicked the ass of GMs management.

Unions in Japan cannot and should not be confused with the sort we have here. Their system is not adversarial...they work very closely with managment in making sure the numbers work toward the benefit of the employees and the company. Labor representatives are a part of management.
On the other hand, our labor unions have rarely shown concern for the problems that face management and consequently pushed many to the point where they just shut down and moved away. The union attitude of "them" and "us" has done nothing but destroy most of our industrial base.

Forum List

Back