Obama and the Military

It's the mindset. Hoping to save money on the vets and their families. Screw you.

That's a fucking lie. The plan was to put 25 billion back into the VA and bring a half million more vets into care. The idea was to help MORE vets. Fucking retard. The mind set is to help people. Just another screw lose malcontnet. Shit like this draws you morons out of the wood work.

Wrong. The vets disagreed then and as you've read, disagree now. If the administration had a real heart, they'd never brought this to light. They don't, they loathe the military and now it's hit the light of day.

Sure.....you got some cite for "loathe" the military ? Looks to me like they are providing all they can to take care of the Vets, considering we've been at war and all. You're just another sour grapes, brain dead wing nut. You obviously comprehend what you want and disregard the rest. The presidents VA proposal has recieved overwhelming support from Vets organizations, save this one idea and it has been dismissed. Got any real complaints besides "the republicans lost and I'm a bitter bitch about it" ?

Hey....you fucking idiots.....here is an article about Obama's proposed VA bedget. He's providing more than anyone has.....EVER, to take care of our vets. Not that the whiny ass sorry mother fuckers here know a thing about who is looking out for them. Too busy playing politics and biting the hand that feeds them.

President Obama is drawing high praise from veterans' service organizations for proposing a Department of Veterans Affairs budget that would exceed by $1.3 billion what even VSOs suggested be spent next year.

No president ever has offered a VA spending plan that surpassed in size the "Independent Budget" presented to Congress by major veterans groups. Obama seeks to fulfill several high-profile promises made to veterans during his presidential campaign including a big increase in VA health-care budgets.

But it was a new and unpopular proposal being studied by the administration that created uncomfortable moments for VA Secretary Eric K. Shinseki when he made separate appearances Tuesday before the House and Senate veterans' affairs committees.

Obama's VA budget outline, with full details promised by late April, would raise VA spending to $112.8 billion in the fiscal year that begins Oct. 1. That's an increase of $15 billion, or 15 percent, over the current budget.

"This is the largest dollar and percentage increase ever requested by a President for veterans," Shinseki told lawmakers.

The plan allows the VA health care system to enroll up to 550,000 new Priority Group 8 veterans by 2013. These are veterans who have no service-connected ailments and have incomes deemed adequate based on family size and geographic location. The total for new enrollees includes 266,000 Group 8 veterans already slated to enroll in VA health system starting this summer under a funding initiative Congress passed last fall.

Obama's Defense and VA budgets also call for a gradual lifting of what remains of the ban on concurrent receipt of both military retirement and VA disability compensation for disabled retirees. The next step would occur in 2010 with concurrent receipt allowed for the most seriously disabled veterans forced to retire short of 20 years. Further details must await the full budget's release in April, Shinseki said.

But by all means, continue with your bashing you ungrateful bastards.

Peejay, please provide a link to your source.

Obviously you guys have some fucking screws loose.

No one DID anything. No one said "pay your own way".

Nothing was done, a suggestion was made. And you folks get all bent out of shape. because someone was looking for a way to help vets with medical care.

This has nothing to do with vets or medical care. You're all malcontents. Pure and simple, malcontents. It could rain easter eggs and pop tarts and you mother fuckers would want cake and ice cream.

No one did shit, no one took shit, not a gad damend thing has changed. Chill out. Or go talk to your therapist.
God, i would give a year of my life to have had authority over you for PT for a day.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
I was in the Army 1964-1974 and my family has served for generations. I remember vividly what the Left in this country stirred up during the Vietnam period. Will not dredge it all up again or relate what happened to me an others when I returned at the end of 1968, but this latest misadventure of the Obama administration to transfer wounded veterans' healthcare to their responsibility is, as The Prophet would say, "deeply disappointing".

Putting aside the details, motivations and that it now appears to be off the table, think about the mentality of an administration that would let this kind of thing even be openly considered.

The sophism, cyncism, and arrogance of Obama and his crowd has finally reached me. Am going to start a message forum, and call him out at every turn.

As for Vietnam I'd say that being nasty to the soldiers was uncalled for even if they disagreed with the war. That's like, but even worse than, being rude to cops for politicians passing dumb laws. It seems people aren't being as rude to the soldiers returning these days, right?

Also I know it's assumed people on a political forum are informed and read the news, but it'd still be helpful if you had posted the source.

That's just nuts. He was looking at ways to provide more by billing private insurance. It wasn't a very good idea and it was dropped.

But let's hang the guy for trying to help us. Cause it's his job and all.

Yeah, man. I don't get it and I'm a vet, too.

My Dad is a vet and he's got some serious medical problems. The VA is in pretty bad shape and I can understand why we've got to find some funding, somewhere. I'm glad there is at least some engagement on the issue. We had cuts and hospital shut downs just a couple years back.

The VHA in bad shape? My understanding is it outperforms the private sector in most areas since about 1998, though they did terribly before the mid-90s. Did they take another turn for the worse recently? I saw that outcomes for vets in the VHA was better than the private sector in this book: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Overtreated-Medicine-Making-Sicker-Poorer/product-reviews/1582345805/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1[/ame]

The VHA has even been innovative in important areas, e.g. EMR. VistA greatly reduces the frequency of administering the wrong medicine, cutting off the wrong leg and such.

Veterans Health Information Systems and Technology Architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Obviously you guys have some fucking screws loose.

No one DID anything. No one said "pay your own way".

Nothing was done, a suggestion was made. And you folks get all bent out of shape. because someone was looking for a way to help vets with medical care.

This has nothing to do with vets or medical care. You're all malcontents. Pure and simple, malcontents. It could rain easter eggs and pop tarts and you mother fuckers would want cake and ice cream.

No one did shit, no one took shit, not a gad damend thing has changed. Chill out. Or go talk to your therapist.

You've got to be shittin' me. Dude, read the writing on the wall. The "suggestion that was made" was that we pay for our own fucking medical treatment for service-related injuries. A way to help vets pay for medical care? It's FREE now. How is charging me for going to "help"? Surely you can spin better than THIS.

That nobody did anything is just as much bullshit. I didn't comment on anything more than what was done ... I commented on the suggestion. Nor am I a malcontent for the simple reason I don't have your partisan blinders glued to my grape.

You're head's so far up Obama's ass you wouldn't know WHAT it was raining.

Perhaps you'd have a different perspective if you entered into an agreement for services and subsequently watched politicians chip away their end of the deal. When I joined the military, medical care was free for retirees for life. I have to pay for THAT now. And pleased don't try to confuse that with VA care. Two different animals.

Malcontent? No. As has been pointed out to we vets time and again, it's you, the taxpayer's dime. You made a deal. Honor your end of it.

Hey....you fucking idiots.....here is an article about Obama's proposed VA bedget. He's providing more than anyone has.....EVER, to take care of our vets. Not that the whiny ass sorry mother fuckers here know a thing about who is looking out for them. Too busy playing politics and biting the hand that feeds them.

President Obama is drawing high praise from veterans' service organizations for proposing a Department of Veterans Affairs budget that would exceed by $1.3 billion what even VSOs suggested be spent next year.

No president ever has offered a VA spending plan that surpassed in size the "Independent Budget" presented to Congress by major veterans groups. Obama seeks to fulfill several high-profile promises made to veterans during his presidential campaign including a big increase in VA health-care budgets.

But it was a new and unpopular proposal being studied by the administration that created uncomfortable moments for VA Secretary Eric K. Shinseki when he made separate appearances Tuesday before the House and Senate veterans' affairs committees.

Obama's VA budget outline, with full details promised by late April, would raise VA spending to $112.8 billion in the fiscal year that begins Oct. 1. That's an increase of $15 billion, or 15 percent, over the current budget.

"This is the largest dollar and percentage increase ever requested by a President for veterans," Shinseki told lawmakers.

The plan allows the VA health care system to enroll up to 550,000 new Priority Group 8 veterans by 2013. These are veterans who have no service-connected ailments and have incomes deemed adequate based on family size and geographic location. The total for new enrollees includes 266,000 Group 8 veterans already slated to enroll in VA health system starting this summer under a funding initiative Congress passed last fall.

Obama's Defense and VA budgets also call for a gradual lifting of what remains of the ban on concurrent receipt of both military retirement and VA disability compensation for disabled retirees. The next step would occur in 2010 with concurrent receipt allowed for the most seriously disabled veterans forced to retire short of 20 years. Further details must await the full budget's release in April, Shinseki said.

Military update: Obama budget draws cheers, jeers from vets | Stars and Stripes

But by all means, continue with your bashing you ungrateful bastards.

Hey fucking idiot ... Nice article. It is completely irrelevant to what is being discussed.

THIS:

Senator warns White House on possible vet insurance plan
Posted: 03:38 PM ET

From CNN Supervising Producer Adam Levine

Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki confirmed Tuesday that the Obama administration is considering a controversial a plan to make veterans pay for treatment of service-related injuries with private insurance.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki confirmed Tuesday that the Obama administration is considering a controversial plan to make veterans pay for treatment of service-related injuries with private insurance, but was told by lawmakers that it would be "dead on arrival" if sent to Congress.

Washington Sen. Patty Murray used that blunt terminology, telling Shinseki that the idea would not be acceptable and would be rejected if formally proposed. She made the remarks during a Senate Committee on Veterans Affairs hearing about the 2010 budget.

No official proposal to create such a program has been announced publicly, but veterans groups wrote a pre-emptive letter last week to President Obama opposing the idea after hearing the plan was under consideration. The groups also noticed an increase in “third-party collections” estimated in the 2010 budget proposal—something they said could only be achieved if the VA started billing for service-related injuries.

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Senator warns White House on possible vet insurance plan « - Blogs from CNN.com

... is what IS being discussed. Try getting your head and ass wired together next time before you start hurling insults about a topic of which you obviously are clueless.

As for Vietnam I'd say that being nasty to the soldiers was uncalled for even if they disagreed with the war. That's like, but even worse than, being rude to cops for politicians passing dumb laws. It seems people aren't being as rude to the soldiers returning these days, right?

Also I know it's assumed people on a political forum are informed and read the news, but it'd still be helpful if you had posted the source.

The VHA in bad shape? My understanding is it outperforms the private sector in most areas since about 1998, though they did terribly before the mid-90s. Did they take another turn for the worse recently? I saw that outcomes for vets in the VHA was better than the private sector in this book: Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Overtreated: Why Too Much Medicine Is Making Us Sicker and Poorer

The VHA has even been innovative in important areas, e.g. EMR. VistA greatly reduces the frequency of administering the wrong medicine, cutting off the wrong leg and such.

Veterans Health Information Systems and Technology Architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I've been going to VA hospitals since 1987. The first one was in Helena, Montana. Since then I've been signed in as an outpatient at five other VA hospitals, the most recent back here in Madison where I've had two major surgeries and years of psych treatment connected with my disability. I've been totally impressed with the level of care provided by the VA, and I thank God I have it, with the amount of care I've had, I'd be broke right now without it, or would have had to file bankrupt, maybe twice. Their doesn't seem to be anything the VA won't do to help you. Most doctors seem to care about you personally, but others outright tell you, they're there because they care about helping veterans. Not because the VA pays better than the private sector.

Thank God and country for VA hospitals. But also thank the veteran for going to some foreign land and getting his life and limbs fucked up. I don't feel as though I'm getting anything for free when I go to the VA hospital. I feel as though I'm owed that treatment.

Last edited:
: Originally Posted by Peejay
Hey....you fucking idiots.....here is an article about Obama's proposed VA bedget.

How does it help those who actually need care from the VA health care system by giving it without any discrimination at all as to need and income? Another half million enrollees of the group 8 type (people just like me) will only degrade benefits available for those who really do desperately need them.

Last edited:
Hey....you fucking idiots.....here is an article about Obama's proposed VA bedget.

How does it help those who actually need care from the VA health care system by giving it without any discrimination at all as to need and income? Another half million enrollees of the group 8 type (people just like me) will only degrade benefits available for those who really do desperately need them.

I agree. The whole point to the VA is for the Nation to provide care for service-related injuries. To provide care to any vet for any reason kind of defeats the purpose for the VA's existence.

I agree. The whole point to the VA is for the Nation to provide care for service-related injuries. To provide care to any vet for any reason kind of defeats the purpose for the VA's existence.

Peejay thinks if we don't want and take all we can get, we're "fucking idiots". I'd be ashamed to show up at a VA clinic or hospital and make it even more challenging for those guys who clearly deserve the help. I can afford my own insurance now which counting Medicare-Supplement-Part D is well over $300 per month, about 30% of my SS check. But after Obama & Crew are finished with the dollar, I may sing another tune. None of this Democrat planning is designed to make everything all better, but to make it fair by spreading the pain, and that's what we're heading for sooner than later.

As an aside, if we do care, we have to make sure that all of them in DC get the message, and as of right now the only way to do that (besides sending letters) is to protest in the streets so that the MSM can no longer deliberately misinterpret our intent, and distort it in their reporting. Our window of opportunity is closing (April 15th) and won't open again until the mid-term elections a year later. As we've already seen they can do a lot of damage in a year.

Last edited:
I am unsure about the legal situation, but in Germany, the health care for retirees is in the contract (the retiree will receive healthcore according to article whatsorever, article written at the time X) so the gouverment could not just change this part retroactivly.
Its not such a big issue though, since we have public healthcare for nearly everyone anyway. For Veterans its also possible to get threatment in "Army Hospitals" which are above average when it comes to hospitals in Germany.

Crying about a suggestion.

yea a SUGGESTION....a suggestion that no PRESIDENT should have even considered past HEARING it the first time....and yet he walks in and actually SUGGESTS it......like Annie says Pee J....ITS THE MINDSET.....Obama tried to shake hands w. the Marine Guard,who was saluting him,before boarding his Copter.....2 examples of how he views the Military....the MINDSET.....

Peejay thinks if we don't want and take all we can get, we're "fucking idiots". I'd be ashamed to show up at a VA clinic or hospital and make it even more challenging for those guys who clearly deserve the help. I can afford my own insurance now which counting Medicare-Supplement-Part D is well over $300 per month, about 30% of my SS check. But after Obama & Crew are finished with the dollar, I may sing another tune. None of this Democrat planning is designed to make everything all better, but to make it fair by spreading the pain, and that's what we're heading for sooner than later.

And here is the gold medal observation. Nowhere has anyone suggested that ANY vets would be denied care if they needed it. The whole idea was that IF YOU CAN AFFORD INSURANCE, WE SHOULD BILL IT. That's the whole ball of wax. The vets that are complaining about this already have insurance. The entire objection was that their premiums would go up if the VA were to bill their insurance. So, you hit it on the head, what is an insured man doing seeking VA treatment ? HE HAS INSURANCE. No one has suggested that anyone would have to go get insurance.

And I certainly don't think that you're an idiot if you don't take all you can get. But I do see the same thing as you, if you have insurance, that you paid for, either get help somewhere else or allow the VA to bill the same as anywhere else.

The logic presented by the opposition of this is telling. It was said that "insurance companies did not put these men in harms way" so they shouldn't have to pay. Well, did the insurance company cause your car crash ? Does the insurance company ever put anyone into harms way ? Do they cause your house to burn down ? The whole argument is non sense and taking it as some kind od insult or poor mindset towards the military is just partisan BS. There was no suggestion to affect vets care at all. The idea was to have insurance companies pay for care of the people they insure. What a strange idea.

As an aside, if we do care, we have to make sure that all of them in DC get the message, and as of right now the only way to do that (besides sending letters) is to protest in the streets so that the MSM can no longer deliberately misinterpret our intent, and distort it in their reporting. Our window of opportunity is closing (April 15th) and won't open again until the mid-term elections a year later. As we've already seen they can do a lot of damage in a year.

As a retiree, I have Tricare. You know, that "free medical for life" I have to pay for. I DO use it whenever possible; however, only active duty military get to see psychiatrists. Best I rate on base is the psychologist. I have to go through the VA for the psychiatrist.

The VA IS overburdened, and that throwing extra money at the VA is a snow-job. It won't come close to covering veteran healthcare if it's opened to ALL vets. Just more misspent money, IMO.

I had a decent conversation with peejay once without any name-calling. Apparently, insults and misdirection are his preferred method judging by the last two. Don't know what's up with that.

I am unsure about the legal situation, but in Germany, the health care for retirees is in the contract (the retiree will receive healthcore according to article whatsorever, article written at the time X) so the gouverment could not just change this part retroactivly.
Its not such a big issue though, since we have public healthcare for nearly everyone anyway. For Veterans its also possible to get threatment in "Army Hospitals" which are above average when it comes to hospitals in Germany.

In the US, it's law, and Congress can change the law with enough votes. There is no rock-solid "guarantee." Retirees can use active duty military hospitals but your average vet cannot. He/she has to go through the VA, and we ALL have to go through the VA for any treatment that requires compensation.

And here is the gold medal observation. Nowhere has anyone suggested that ANY vets would be denied care if they needed it. The whole idea was that IF YOU CAN AFFORD INSURANCE, WE SHOULD BILL IT. That's the whole ball of wax. The vets that are complaining about this already have insurance. The entire objection was that their premiums would go up if the VA were to bill their insurance. So, you hit it on the head, what is an insured man doing seeking VA treatment ? HE HAS INSURANCE. No one has suggested that anyone would have to go get insurance.

And I certainly don't think that you're an idiot if you don't take all you can get. But I do see the same thing as you, if you have insurance, that you paid for, either get help somewhere else or allow the VA to bill the same as anywhere else.

The logic presented by the opposition of this is telling. It was said that "insurance companies did not put these men in harms way" so they shouldn't have to pay. Well, did the insurance company cause your car crash ? Does the insurance company ever put anyone into harms way ? Do they cause your house to burn down ? The whole argument is non sense and taking it as some kind od insult or poor mindset towards the military is just partisan BS. There was no suggestion to affect vets care at all. The idea was to have insurance companies pay for care of the people they insure. What a strange idea.

We have to go through the VA for anything that requires compensation, and as I said, it's free. Why would you expect that we would willingly want to pay for something that's supposed to be free for us?

It's just another way to get into our pockets.

In my case though, the jokes on YOU. The VA can bill Tricare if wants. Which pocket they take your taxdollars from to pay for my medical doesn't matter to me.:lol:

Our logic is fine. Your boy wanted to put the squeeze on us by forcing private insurance companies to pay for something that is the government's responsibility. Those private insurance companies didn't send us to war. The US government DID. It doesn't get anymore logical than THAT.

As a retiree, I have Tricare. You know, that "free medical for life" I have to pay for. I DO use it whenever possible; however, only active duty military get to see psychiatrists. Best I rate on base is the psychologist. I have to go through the VA for the psychiatrist.

The VA IS overburdened, and that throwing extra money at the VA is a snow-job. It won't come close to covering veteran healthcare if it's opened to ALL vets. Just more misspent money, IMO.

I had a decent conversation with peejay once without any name-calling. Apparently, insults and misdirection are his preferred method judging by the last two. Don't know what's up with that.

The name calling was the wrong thing to do. My apologies for that.

I don't care much for President Obama or many of his new policies. However, this situation with the VA seems to show that some people just will not be pleased. You say that the VA is overburdened and I agree. However, you go on to say that more funding isn't the answer. What do you suggest ? Maybe a well placed program to recruit more volunteers ? The man was trying his best to help vets and the best we can come up with is that he loathes the military or has the wrong mind set ? What mind set would you prefer ? Maybe he should cut the VA funding ? Instead of raising it ?

This is ridiculous. Partisan crap.

However, these servicemen would not carry insurance when they were active duty military, because that would be an unnecessary expense, and these guys were on active duty when wounded. The ones who would have been affected by this regulation, who did have HC insurance, would have been reservists, or NG called to active duty who did not want to let their insurance lapse, keeping it in force. Their Insurance carrier would not have known they were going into the field of battle when that policy was issued. In the future premiums for those guys would be a lot higher.

You may find some cost effectiveness in this change, but in reality it would hurt reservists and make being in the military less attractive. There would be a cost to them and it would not be a minor one.

However, these servicemen would not carry insurance when they were active duty military, because that would be an unnecessary expense, and these guys were on active duty when wounded. The ones who would have been affected by this regulation, who did have HC insurance, would have been reservists, or NG called to active duty who did not want to let their insurance lapse, keeping it in force. Their Insurance carrier would not have known they were going into the field of battle when that policy was issued. In the future premiums for those guys would be a lot higher.

You may find some cost effectiveness in this change, but in reality it would hurt reservists and make being in the military less attractive. There would be a cost to them and it would not be a minor one.

And I don't disagree with you on this. This is what made it an unattractive proposition. However, if anyone should be complaining, it would be the insurance providers, not the VETS. That is who this was aimed at. The entire premise of not only this particular issue, but Obama's entire VA budget proposal is to provide MORE for vets.

Which is why most all of the objections here are the usual partisan clap trap.

Forum List

Back