Obama and the Company He Keeps

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Like I felt about Ron Paul, it does matter who one associates oneself with. Now that doesn't mean that any candidate will not attract moonbats, that's a given. The question becomes, how far is the candidate interacting with them?

http://article.nationalreview.com/print/?q=YThjYTU1ZDBjNmQ2YzcwNzU1MmYwN2JiMWY0ZGI0NDA=

2. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,884
    Never, prior to her husband’s presidential run, had she had a reason to feel proud of it

That isn't what she said. No point in reading the rest of the OP.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Hmm, wasn't a quote, but keep those blinders handy.

4. Dogger

Dogger Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    "The same old America-hating Left."

Does any serious person really believe that liberals hate America? It's that type of nasty invective that polarizes this country and poisons debate.

I can think of any number of conservative beliefs that reject basic American principles, but I only make such an accusation sarcastically, as a parody of absurd right-wing hate-speech.

There is a thing in psychology called "projection". It happens when a person who hates a trait in himself ascribes that trait to others. The things you say about other people reveal more about you, Kathianne, than it does about them.

5. Dogger

Dogger Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Nonetheless, it was an inaccurate representation of Michelle Obama's actual statement.

It leaves out the word "really", which dramatically alters her meaning. It's dishonest, un-Christian, and unworthy of you, I would hope.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Dogger

Dogger Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Here's the undoctored speech, as well as a similar statement later that week.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_cv333saZoU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_cv333saZoU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

7. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    a few excellent articles from a great magazine entitled The Christian Century. When the April 22nd edition, which I got in the mail last week, gets posted online, I will link to a few other articles on this same subject:

http://www.christiancentury.org/article.lasso?id=4676

http://www.christiancentury.org/article.lasso?id=4678

I recommend then to anyone who wishes to broaden their perspective on Jeremiah Wright.

I realize full well that many on here have no desire to have their perspectives on that issue broadened and that is sad.

8. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,012
    Ohh ya, a good leftoid parsing the meaning of words and sentences to suit you. Sorry if us knuckle dragging bone head neanderthals just don't get the nuiance.

9. Dogger

Dogger Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Notice from my earlier post that the National Review article omits the word "really" from Michelle's speech. Although some doctored versions of the clip have circulated, the untampered speech has been on youTube for 2 months.

The author, a professional writer, knows the importance of checking sources and verifying quotes. His failure to do so when the source can be found so easily establishes his intent to write a hit piece, and his dishonest methods while doing that.

Omitting the word "really" distorts her meaning completely. She wasn't saying that she had never been proud of America before; she was saying that her pride before had never been as great as it is now.

That's why the author left it out. He wanted to make something clumsy seem nasty. Really nasty.

10. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,012
    Ya there is such a world of difference between " I have never rally felt proud" and " I have never been proud". You go on believing that while us dumb shits believe what she "really" meant.