Obama and the Class Envy Card

All you hear them talking about is raising the taxes on the rich... Same old song and dance. How about that nearly 50% of folks who pay no federal taxes at all? They should have some skin in the game.

Yes, that's what the Republicans should run on...

...cut taxes for the Rich, raise taxes on the Poor.

Really, if that were the case, I wouldn't ask your opinion. That doesn't mean you are without bias, but at least it's discernible.

We all have biases. But my bias isn't on the Left. It's criticizing the Right, at least on USMB. There's a difference.

Right ,left they mean nothing .

Its the ideas.

The people currently considered right in this country have historically failed ideas.

If they would get some new ideas that have a chance of working in the real world then maybe they wouldnt have to take so much crap.

All you hear them talking about is raising the taxes on the rich... Same old song and dance. How about that nearly 50% of folks who pay no federal taxes at all? They should have some skin in the game.

Yes, that's what the Republicans should run on...

...cut taxes for the Rich, raise taxes on the Poor.

and most of us would be for drastically reducing the payouts for those that can work, but don't. I don't care if we are addressing those that work in factories or providing security service in high school.

The fact is that the tax cuts have not worked. They added $2.5 trillion to our debt and did nothing to add jobs or spur the economy.

Why continue a failed policy when you have $14.5 trillion in debt? It would be nice to continue low tax rates....but we just can't afford them anymore

How bout we do this.....Return tax rates to where they were before the Bush/Obama tax cuts. Once we have paid off our debt through spending cuts and tax increases, the wealthy can have their old tax rate back

And so it goes with lefty; he'll never understand what's going on, what works and what doesn't. He's useless.

Republicans must take back the Senate and the White House.

We tried that

They started two wars which they botched, engaged in torture and human rights violations and drove us into the worst recession in 70 years

here here here! here's the deal.. according to democrats... "if we give lots of money to the poor it will STIMULATE" the economy" "If we give money to the rich it will create a deficit so we should tax them more."

You can't even see what a bullshit argument that is? that makes me :lol::lol:

what? rich people don't spend money and poor people do? bullshit,, call it what it is class warfare and redistribution of wealth cause that's fucking what it is.

And so it goes with lefty; he'll never understand what's going on, what works and what doesn't. He's useless.

We tried that

They started two wars which they botched, engaged in torture and human rights violations and drove us into the worst recession in 70 years

here here here! here's the deal.. according to democrats... "if we give lots of money to the poor it will STIMULATE" the economy" "If we give money to the rich it will create a deficit so we should tax them more."

what? rich people don't spend money and poor people do? bullshit,, call it what it is class warfare and redistribution of wealth cause that's fucking what it is.

Proportionally, the poor spend more of what you give them than the rich do

By Steve McCann
08/20/2011
American Thinker

Barack Obama, the Left and the Democrats are determined to continue their never-ending and over-used drum beat of "raise taxes on the rich." While of little practical value in solving the nation's overwhelming debt and deficit problem, this siren song aims to foster class envy, intimidate opponents and foment potential violence. It is the action of a desperate administration and party attempting to obfuscate their abject failure in growing the economy and creating jobs.

LINK

You want to balance the budget without any tax increases? Cut spending ACROSS THE BOARD by 40%,

including 40% out of defense, and that will get you there.
Ummm.. I'm game for unilateral budget cuts. But here. Let's do the same thing but with less pain, mmmkay?

Set the budget levels back to 2007 levels. Not so bad, if you think about it. Drop every new program and spending increase since then.

Then you freeze the budget there for the next DECADE, forcing all those agencies to live within their means at the 2007 levels. Then let inflation do the work. The cuts will be FAR less painful.

Oh, and get out of Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and Libya and let those people finally take care of their own problems, now that we've taken care of our own over there.

Really, if that were the case, I wouldn't ask your opinion. That doesn't mean you are without bias, but at least it's discernible.

We all have biases. But my bias isn't on the Left. It's criticizing the Right, at least on USMB. There's a difference.

okay, i guess. All lower case. Some of us, most of us, aren't what you believe us to be. But, whatever.

I tend to agree more with the right on than the left. However, I used to agree almost universally with the right. But then I saw things the right said that weren't true, at least to me. So I tend to be more critical of the right because I've been there, which I think is common for people who have revelations about things they once believed. Plus, there are far, far more extremists on the right here at USMB than on the left. There simply aren't that many rabid leftists in America, at least not compared to other places I've been.

There simply aren't that many rabid leftists in America, at least not compared to other places I've been.

So what you are saying is aMerican is truly a conservative nation and the Lefts almost monopoly on education, in the media, government and its bureaucracy, is now in peril with the conservative movement finally pushing its collective weight around?

Ok, works for me. :eusa_whistle:

As someone making less than $10k in the past year, I'd say that the state of IL takes more than my fair share. I owe more than $5k in property taxes.

Sales tax? Don't ask! Sales & Use Taxes

Local Government WHEATON
County DU PAGE
Location Code 022 0001 5
Liability Period 08 2011

Sales and related taxes
Sales Taxes (retailers' and service occupation taxes)
View General Merchandise Sales Tax Breakdown General merchandise 8.250%

Rate consists of the following:
State Rate 6.250%
County Water Commission Tax 0.250%
Home Rule 1.000%
Regional Transportation Authority 0.750%

View Food and Drug Sales Tax Breakdown Qualifying food and drugs 1.750%

State Rate 1.000%

View Motor Vehicle Sales Tax Breakdown Vehicle(ST-556) 7.250%

State Rate 6.250%

If the vehicle or trailer is titled and registered to

* a Chicago address, a Chicago Home Rule tax of 1.250% is imposed in addition to the vehicle rate listed above, making the total tax rate 8.500%.
* an out-of-state location, you (the dealer) may be required to collect tax. Refer to "Information for Vehicle Dealers" on the Welcome Page.

Use Taxes (use and service use taxes)
General merchandise 6.250%

State Rate 6.250%

Qualifying food and drugs 1.000%

State Rate 1.000%

View Motor Vehicle Use Tax Breakdown Vehicle (RUT-25) 7.250%

State Rate 6.250%

Other related sales taxes
County Motor Fuel Tax $0.04 per gallon

Automobile renting taxes
View ART Sales Tax Breakdown Automobile renting tax (occupation) 6.000%

State Rate 5.000%
Local Rate 1.000%

View ART Use Tax Breakdown Automobile renting tax (use) 6.000%

State Rate 5.000%
Local Rate 1.000%

Telecommunication taxes
View Telecommunication Tax Breakdown Telecommunication taxes 13.000%

State Rate 7.000%
Local Rate 6.000%

The term “sales tax” actually refers to several tax acts. Sales tax is a combination of “occupation” taxes that are imposed on sellers’ receipts and “use” taxes that are imposed on amounts paid by purchasers. Sellers owe the occupation tax to the department; they reimburse themselves for this liability by collecting use tax from the buyers. “Sales tax” is the combination of all state, local, mass transit, water commission, home rule occupation and use, non-home rule occupation and use, park district, county public safety and facilities, county school facility tax, and business district taxes.

“Sales tax” is imposed on a seller’s receipts from sales of tangible personal property for use or consumption. Tangible personal property does not include real estate, stocks, bonds, or other “paper” assets representing an interest.

If the seller (typically an out-of-state business, such as a catalog company or a retailer making sales on the internet) does not charge Illinois Sales Tax, the purchaser must pay the tax directly to the department. For purposes of this document, Illinois Sales Tax has three rate structures — one for qualifying food, drugs, and medical appliances; one for items required to be titled or registered; and another for all other general merchandise.

“Qualifying food, drugs, and medical appliances” include

* food that has not been prepared for immediate consumption, such as most food sold at grocery stores, excluding hot foods, alcoholic beverages, candy, and soft drinks;
* prescription medicines and nonprescription items claimed to have medicinal value, such as aspirin, cough medicine, and medicated hand lotion, excluding grooming and hygiene products; and
* prescription and nonprescription medical appliances that directly replace a malfunctioning part of the human body, such as corrective eyewear, contact lenses, prostheses, insulin syringes, and dentures.

“Vehicles” include motor vehicles, ATVs, watercraft, aircraft, trailers, and mobile homes. See the STS‑76, Illinois Aircraft/Watercraft and Vehicle Tax Information Guide, for complete definitions and tax applications.

“General merchandise” includes sales of most tangible personal property including sales of

* soft drinks and candy;
* prepared food such as food purchased at a restaurant;
* photo processing (getting pictures developed);
* prewritten and “canned” computer software;
* prepaid telephone calling cards and other prepaid telephone calling arrangements;
* repair parts and other items transferred or sold in conjunction with providing a service under certain circumstances based on the actual selling price;
* grooming and hygiene products;
* See Regulation 130.310 for a full listing.

If you think that 'looks complicated' you should have to pay it. A $1.00 candy bar? $1.09. A dollar newspaper? 1.00. A $4.20 pack of cigs? $4.90+

It's impossible to figure out the cost at check out for consumer. Milk, candy, pop, veggies, beer, cheese, popcorn? All on different schedules. Gas taxes? Forget about it. Our average right now is $3.98 and that's down considerably. National average isn't close.

Way to blur governments all together into one entity, so that no one will notice that you didn't bother to address the acual point, which was FEDERAL taxes. Do your property taxes go to the federal government? How about your sales taxes? No? Then what the hell are you wasting our time blathering about them for? It's the FEDERAL game you have no skin in, not the state or the county or the city game. And they are NOT the same game.

Last edited:
Toro said:
There simply aren't that many rabid leftists in America, at least not compared to other places I've been.

And may their numbers and their hangers on dwindle quickly to 2 so, like smallpox, we have a reminder of such a deadly and dangerous disease.

We tried that

Give 1.00 to the rich in tax cuts, it generates around 1.03 in the economy.

Give that same 1.00 to poor and middle class? It generates around 1.63 in the economy.

Didn't do math much, did ya?

Every article I've ever read from American thinker has merely reinforced that its just another extremist right-wing web site. For example

Barack Obama, the Left and the Democrats are determined to continue their never-ending and over-used drum beat of "raise taxes on the rich." While of little practical value in solving the nation's overwhelming debt and deficit problem, this siren song aims to foster class envy, intimidate opponents and foment potential violence.

Even if the article has substance, its difficult not to dismiss it as nothing but hyperpartisan bullshit when you read stuff like this.

It's not hyperpartisan at all. You just don't grasp the demoralizing effects of governmental dependency as they play out on the foibles of human nature, even though you leftists have all of history from which to extrapolate this truth. We conservatives understand these things; leftists don't.

Last edited:
We tried that

Proportionally, the poor spend more of what you give them than the rich do

So?

We tried that

Give 1.00 to the rich in tax cuts, it generates around 1.03 in the economy.

Give that same 1.00 to poor and middle class? It generates around 1.63 in the economy.

Didn't do math much, did ya?

Oh brother.

:lol:

The left once again uses terms like "give", which of course only proves our position that they believe everything belongs to them and they benevolently give you what they think you can keep.

Forum List

Back