Obama and his Economic Team are a Band of Thieves

Hope springs eternal in this one. I will wait to see what they actually do. I am really hoping this coutnry catches a break for once.

What they actually did was to vote more than the Republicans did to give our money to the rich bankers with no oversight. Now Obama is calling to give the rest of the TARP fund out.

It's time to abandon hope and get real.

Yeah, because the dude's name and face hasn't been plastered all over the media for like 6 months straight at this point. :rolleyes:

Oh Paulie, great pervayer of all those names and faces, please forgive my infraction of confusing two really creepy guys names and faces. They both suck so bad my mind boggles, especially before I have had my customary gallon of wake the fuck up green tea.

Im a flawed being.

Oh Paulie, great pervayer of all those names and faces, please forgive my infraction of confusing two really creepy guys names and faces. They both suck so bad my mind boggles, especially before I have had my customary gallon of wake the fuck up green tea.

Im a flawed being.

Yes, they do both suck.

I suppose the guy who's about to take complete control of our nation's monetary policy, who somehow just "made a mistake" in not paying $40,000 of taxes, DOESN'T suck though, right?

Nothing like a guy who's already a known idiot taking control over your country's currency. :rolleyes:

Not only does Obama approve, but apparently congress does too.

Hope doesn't float.

You have never have anything of substance to offer , all you ever do is sling insults at the other side no matter why they say.

You backed bush the entire time he was screwing everything up from what I saw of you.

Guess what, us Dems wont do that and you will be insulting us later for not being able to come together. I have NO doubt of it.

ya think? btw, why didn't you ever show up in the Hamas kidnapps aids truck and sells contents to the highest bidder thread?

Last edited:
Why rush to throw another $350 billion of taxpayer money at the Wall Street bandits and their political cronies who created the biggest financial mess since the Great Depression?

Because time is money, perhaps?

And why should we taxpayers be expected to double our debt exposure when the ten still-secret bailout contracts made in the first round are being kept from the public?

Because nobody can stop them, of course.

You see, BAC the imperial presidency, coupled with a go-along-to-get-along Congress makes all this possible.

Add to that the fact that previous administrations are never taken to task for their crimes and there is virtually no reason NOT to rip off the nation, is there?

Why the Rush on TARP 2?

We don't have time, President-elect Barack Obama's key economic adviser, Lawrence Summers, insisted in a letter to Congress on Monday, promising that the new infusion would not be squandered as was the first installment.

I know that's a big load off my mind.

But given that Summers is personally as responsible for this meltdown as anyone, why should we trust him on this?

Possibly a better question is what should we do if we don't trust him?

Yes, it sounds wonderfully bipartisan that Obama is backing President Bush's request for spending the money now, short-circuiting congressional inquiry, but it was just that sort of bipartisan politics that created this nightmare.

Why...it's almost as though there isn't a whole lotta difference between the parties except for issues that don't matter..like god, guns and gays.

How insulting that we must now accept Summers' assurance that the Obama administration will "move quickly to reform a weak and outdated regulatory system to better protect consumers, investors and businesses."

They don't care about us enough to actually insult us. We're too insignificant for that.

This from the guy who, as President Bill Clinton's treasury secretary, pushed the deregulation legislation making the subsequent financial crimes of Wall Street legal.

I know I'm shocked -- shocked! -- do you hear me?

The "toxic derivatives" that we taxpayers are now forced to purchase from the Wall Street hustlers were deliberately shielded from all government regulation, thanks to the Commodity Futures Modernization Act, which Summers got Congress to pass in the closing days of the Clinton administration with the same urgency that he now pushes for the new Wall Street handout.

I've been given to believe that most of the derivatives market is completely unregulated.

I know I felt ever so much better when Greenspan, upon being asked, what part he thought he played in this mess responded:

" I trusted the bankers".
I'm sure that you must have felt about the same sense of relief that I did upon reading that.​

Back then, Summers was a disciple of Robert Rubin, who just last week resigned from his director's position at Citigroup, the financial conglomerate that grew to unmanageable and corrupt proportions thanks to the empowering legislation that Rubin initiated when he was Clinton's first treasury secretary. Rubin has been paid more than $115 million plus stock options at Citigroup, and despite his horrid record is a close Obama adviser.

It's almost as though you believe that the Foxes aren't the best people to guard the chickencoop, BAC.

It is one of the great swindles of US financial history that Citigroup was bailed out with $45 billion in a deal that could eventually cost taxpayers an additional $269 billion to guarantee those toxic assets that would have been illegal if not for the legislation backed by Rubin and Summers.

You don't feel responsible to the bond holders of Citigroup? I know I do. I'd clean out my bank account to help those poor bondholders if I had anything in it. I CARE about the poor superwealthy...what with they paying so much taxes and all.

How did Obama allow himself to become ensnared with the very same folks who are the most culpable?

Ensnared? You gotta dance with them what brought ya' to the ho-down, partner

His treasury secretary nominee, Timothy Geithner, is another Rubin protegé, who, as head of the New York Fed, worked tirelessly with Rubin to concoct the Citigroup bailout. When candidate Obama gave his major economic address back on March 27, he couldn't have been clearer in condemning the deregulation that Rubin and Summers had engineered:

"Unfortunately, instead of establishing a 21st century regulatory framework, we simply dismantled the old one--aided by a legal but corrupt bargain in which campaign money all too often shaped policy and watered down oversight. In doing so, we encouraged a winner-take-all, anything-goes environment that helped foster devastating dislocations in our economy."

Yeah, that sounds about right.

He was referring to the deregulation legislation that Summers hailed on the day that Clinton signed it into law as "a major step forward to the 21st century." Now Obama is relying on Summers to reverse a disaster of his own creation. It's like returning to the same surgeon who almost killed the patient in the first operation to once again cut open the body to repair the damage.

More like direct the disaster such that it falls on those who don't matter.

That would be us, of course.

What we need is a second opinion.

Okay, they're ugly, too.

Where is the openness and accountability that Obama promised?

The Window at the FED is open and the taxpayers are accountable.

Why not pause for a few weeks for congressional hearings on how to spend the new money?

Why bother. Do you really think anyone in Congress understands this stuff well enough NOT to allow them to rip us off?

I mean, seriously.. do you?

We don't even know where the last batch went.

They're so rich, there's just no tellin' where the money went!

On Monday, the Treasury Department finally agreed, and only after a subpoena threat, to turn over to Sen. Carl Levin and his Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations the ten secret contracts that it signed with top Wall Street firms in the first round of the bailout. Unfortunately, the subcommittee has no plans to make those contracts public, according to a Levin aide quoted in The New York Times.

I remember reading Kafka when I was young and thinking it was fiction.

That is outrageous. This is our money we're talking about. Why don't we get to read the fine print in what will end up being trillions of dollars in taxpayer obligations? Because we are suckers, that's why, and the folks who swindled us into this disaster can count on it.

Tell us, BAC, what exactly do you expect the American people to really do about it? Write the Congressmen?

Why the Rush on TARP 2?

When Obama spoke of "change", he was obviously talking about what's going to be left in the US Treasury after he and his band of thieves get done giving away all the dollars to the rich.

That's about it.

You and I are old enough to remember when change actually had some intrensic value.

Why...I remember silver coins. Imagine those.

Even pennies are fake now, for God's sakes!!

I only hope that the money goes to where it needs to go on the next round. From what the democrats say, it will. Stay tuned.

My hope is they do away with the Federal Reserve System.

Socialize it like it was before JP Morgan, Rockafellor & Carnege bribed Congress & Hoover to let them manage our finances in 1913.

The Robber Barons are back. Do they own the Democrats? Hell, they own the whole system, which includes the Democrats.

Is this a problem that no one can do anything about? I'm sure the Federal Reserve/Corporate America along with the Republicans could team up to sabotage the system if the Dems tried to do too much.

We know the Federal Reserve System should be done away with. We know that Libertarians are open to it. We know Republicans are not open to it. Now lets see if the Dems are willing. If not, the GOP is still not an option.

Socialize it like it was before JP Morgan, Rockafellor & Carnege bribed Congress & Hoover to let them manage our finances in 1913.

You don't even have your basic facts straight. It wasn't Hoover, it was Wilson.

I only hope that the money goes to where it needs to go on the next round. From what the democrats say, it will. Stay tuned.

Your faith is charming..totally misdirected but it truly is your best quality, amigo.

Doesn't it occur to you that if the DEMS are going to direct it to the right people, they might be inclined to.. oh, I don't know.. TELL US WHO THE FUCK THAT IS?

Not a chance. That is the short hairs by which they hold the balls of our shamocracy, amigo.

Better idea...open up the FED window to you and I so we too can borrow money at prime. Why are YOU OR I more risky than CITIBANK?

The Robber Barons are back. Do they own the Democrats? Hell, they own the whole system, which includes the Democrats.

They never left. They do everything but tie Nelly to the railroad tracks and nobody ever seems to notice.

Is this a problem that no one can do anything about?

Not without blood in the street, no.

I'm sure the Federal Reserve/Corporate America along with the Republicans could team up to sabotage the system if the Dems tried to do too much.

Ye GADS you still believe the Dems are our friends, don't you?

We know the Federal Reserve System should be done away with. We know that Libertarians are open to it. We know Republicans are not open to it. Now lets see if the Dems are willing. If not, the GOP is still not an option.

There is not a snowballs chance in hell that the FED is going to go away, amigo.

Doesn't it occur to you that if the DEMS are going to direct it to the right people, they might be inclined to.. oh, I don't know.. TELL US WHO THE FUCK THAT IS?

Ye GADS you still believe the Dems are our friends, don't you?

There is not a snowballs chance in hell that the FED is going to go away, amigo.

The dems say they're going to make the banks start giving us loans. That's what the bailout was for in the first place. They didn't do with the money what they said they would and it seems Paulson & Bush are fine with that. They couldn't be happier.

This problem can only be solved from the bottom up. If the money goes to helping people who are at risk of losing their homes, everyone will win. And if the economy gets better and people can find work, they won't foreclose.

The Dems say the bankers MUST do what they said they would do with the money if we give them the next $350 billion. Lets see if they are just talking shit or if they follow through. If they do what Bush and Paulson did, I'll be the first to admit it. There will be more accountability from the Dems than there was from the GOP.

No they aren't my "friends", but let us see if the middle class does better or worse under the Dems than they did with the GOP. We took a huge step back under the GOP. And if it weren't for FDR, we wouldn't even have a middle class. So there is a difference between the two parties. The GOP was completely against the New Deal. And today they try to say the New Deal was bad. :cuckoo:

Most of us did well in the Clinton/Newt years. Only the rich did well during the Bush/Delay years when the GOP controlled all three branches of gov. Since the GOP controlled everything, all the manufacturing jobs went overseas and the illegal immigration problem got worse. They gave tax breaks to companies going overseas. Why would they encourage going overseas knowing that would hurt labor? And they created loopholes for these offshore companies to help them dodge paying taxes. Which investment firms helped all these companies dodge all those taxes? Lehman, morgan stanley, etc. That's right, all the banks that are getting the $750 billion. Are we stupid?

Lets see if the Dems do anything about all this. If they don't, I'll be the first to admit it.

But none of the GOP defenders had a problem with jobs going overseas. They said they liked the cheap goods we were getting, even at the expense of wages. So apparently it was ok with them until it affected their jobs. I'm not willing to wait till it affects me. Heck, it already has. Jobs are scarce so wages are low. So maybe sending manufacturing jobs overseas wasn't such a good idea.

And Dems will do something if the oil companies try to gouge us again. Lets see if gas goes up to $4 a gallon under the Dems rule. I don't think the oil companies would dare because the Dems won't allow it like the GOP did.

If the dems don't do what I'm saying, they won't win in 2010 or 2012. So for their own sake, they better deliver. They don't have the luxury of having 45% of America voting for them no matter how bad they suck. The GOP does.

And Obama and the dems were elected by us. Grass roots. So they don't answer to corporate America as much as the GOP does.

Do they work with corporate America? Sure. But that doesn't make them just as bad for you and me as the GOP was. Not even close.

You don't even have your basic facts straight. It wasn't Hoover, it was Wilson.

You are right.

But Hoover had something to do with the Robber Baron's too. If you look at the Great Depression, that was just another time when the Robber Baron's fucked America over and made millions doing so. (back then millions was a lot)

This is just one example of how similar the situation was back then compared to the last 8 years.

Great Mississippi Flood of 1927

The Mississippi River broke out of its levee system in 145 places and flooded 27,000 square miles (70,000 km2). The area was inundated up to a depth of 30 feet (10 m). The flood caused over $400 million in damages and killed 246 people in seven states.

The flood affected Arkansas, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Tennessee, Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas.

During the disaster, 700,000 people were displaced, including 330,000 African-Americans who were moved to 154 relief camps. Over 13,000 evacuees near Greenville, Mississippi, were gathered from area farms and evacuated to the crest of an unbroken levee, and stranded there for days without food or clean water, while boats arrived to evacuate white women and children. Many blacks were detained and forced to labor at gunpoint during flood relief efforts. Population was not recognized as requiring relief aid.

Several reports on the terrible situation in the refugee camps, including one by the Colored Advisory Commission by Robert Russa Moton, were kept out of the media at the request of Herbert Hoover, with the promise of further reforms for blacks after the presidential election. When he failed to keep the promise, Moton and other influential African-Americans helped to shift the allegiance of Black Americans from the Republican party to Franklin Delano Roosevelt and the Democrats.[2]

After a year of failed efforts, Congress and the new administration are considering more aggressive measures, including a possible change to bankruptcy law. Homeowner relief could come as part of a new economic stimulus plan, a revised financial system bailout program or as a standalone measure. (SO THE CURRENT PRESIDENT AND CURRENT CONGRESS COULDN’T GET ER DONE. LETS SEE IF THE NEW CONGRESS/PRESIDENT ARE WILLING TO FIX THIS PROBLEM)
So far, progress remains painfully slow. More than 3 million homes have been lost to foreclosure since the housing bubble burst. Roughly one in 10 homeowners with mortgages are either in foreclosure or more than 30 days late in payments — the highest delinquency rate on record. (SO IT ONLY MAKES SENSE THAT THIS PROBLEM NEEDS TO BE FIXED FROM THE BOTTOM UP, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND, WHICH IS BUSH’S APPROACH)
Without more aggressive measures, another 8 million to 10 million foreclosures are forecast over the next four years, according to Credit Suisse. That amounts to roughly one in six households with a mortgage. (THE BANKERS DON’T CARE. THEY GOT THEIR $350 BILLION FOR NOTHING. THEY WILL NOT GET THE OTHER HALF FOR NOTHING)
“It is simply mind-boggling to me that (Congress and the White House) have moved so slowly to address this issue,” said John Taylor, president of the National Community Reinvestment Coalition, which has been lobbying for foreclosure relief. (THAT WOULD BE THE CURRENT PRESIDENT AND THE CURRENT CONGRESS, WHICH IS FILLED WITH A BUNCH OF REPUBLICANS THAT WANT AMERICA TO FAIL. DISASTER CAPITALISM AT IT’S FINEST)
Congress and the incoming administration are taking a multipronged approach to foreclosure relief.
"Accelerating foreclosures is obviously, in my view, the huge driving problem right now,” said Elizabeth Warren, a Harvard law professor appointed by Congress to chair a panel overseeing the financial bailout. "Until we think in a more comprehensive way, we can't create solutions that will really make a difference," she told Congress last month.
Congress takes up foreclosure relief plans - Cracked Nest Egg- msnbc.com
If the Dems are no better or no different than the GOP, then we are all truly fucked.

First this mess wasn't created by Wall street. This mess was created by forty years of bad regualtions which by 2001, had guaranteed that increasingly large percentages of every mortgage company's assets were in terms of bad loans from which the great likelihood was that those loans would cost them money. Combine that with Mark to market and voila you have people forced to capitalize losses before it was even clse to necessary.

Sure, Garyd, sure. And all us working Americans believe that. LOL.

We are on the brink of the Second Great Republican Depression. Bailing out the banks, as onerous as that is, considering their role in the fiasco in the first place, is neccessary. However, doing it without stringent oversight, and regulations, is not. We are seeing businesses going under on a daily basis now. Foreclosures at record levels, bankruptcies, whether declared or not, the same. Many are just walking off from their homes, and other debts, not even bothering to declare bankruptcy. No jobs, no incomes after unemployment runs out. Becoming part of the underground economy.

Ah well, the Republicans and conservatives cursed FDR for decades, some still do. But he was right, many good decades untill you fellow undid the rules that were put in place because of the First Great Republican Depression. The worst part is listening to you parrot the talk on how government spending only made the Depression worse, but government spending was what ended the Depression.

Sure, Garyd, sure. And all us working Americans believe that. LOL.

We are on the brink of the Second Great Republican Depression. Bailing out the banks, as onerous as that is, considering their role in the fiasco in the first place, is neccessary. However, doing it without stringent oversight, and regulations, is not. We are seeing businesses going under on a daily basis now. Foreclosures at record levels, bankruptcies, whether declared or not, the same. Many are just walking off from their homes, and other debts, not even bothering to declare bankruptcy. No jobs, no incomes after unemployment runs out. Becoming part of the underground economy.

Ah well, the Republicans and conservatives cursed FDR for decades, some still do. But he was right, many good decades untill you fellow undid the rules that were put in place because of the First Great Republican Depression. The worst part is listening to you parrot the talk on how government spending only made the Depression worse, but government spending was what ended the Depression.

Did you and I go to the same school of world view or something, OR?

It's either that, or both of us are simply slaves to reality based thinking.

Garyd does have a good point though.

I SUSPECT (because I am not in a position to state without equivication) that SOME of what is going on right now is the BIG INSIDER BANKS using the power of the FED to eat up the smaller banks.

A LOT of those banks are not in as much trouble as they claim, but sans the protection of the FED (indded with the HELP of the regulators) I SUSPECT that many of them are simply being declared insolvent.

Yeah, I'm talkin' bout conspiracy at the highest levels of power, here, you betcha.

And NO I cannot prove that, any more than those banks that are being destroyed can PROVE it.

Actually you are slaves to ignorance and stupidity giving you something very much in common with all together too many people in this country. Anyone things greed caused this is stupid. Greed? give me a break greed is a failure to share. Why does anyoine in his right mind bankrupt his own company knowing that:

A) the feds will land on him like a ton a bricks from 80k feet up.

B) that the goose he just killed isn't going to lay him any more golden eggs.

That isn't greed it's stupidity.

but I'm preaching to people that operate under the lunatic impression that democrats never lie when the reality is that they seldom if ever tell the truth. To be sure that is largely because they have idea wqht the hell the truth is.

And that last bit of yours is all about the Mark to Market disaster generated part that I just mentioned. Which goes back to the Clinton administration.

Actually you are slaves to ignorance and stupidity giving you something very much in common with all together too many people in this country. Anyone things greed caused this is stupid. Greed? give me a break greed is a failure to share. Why does anyoine in his right mind bankrupt his own company knowing that:

A) the feds will land on him like a ton a bricks from 80k feet up.

B) that the goose he just killed isn't going to lay him any more golden eggs.

That isn't greed it's stupidity.

but I'm preaching to people that operate under the lunatic impression that democrats never lie when the reality is that they seldom if ever tell the truth. To be sure that is largely because they have idea wqht the hell the truth is.

And that last bit of yours is all about the Mark to Market disaster generated part that I just mentioned. Which goes back to the Clinton administration.

Aside from the blatant ignorance on how businesses and major corporations operate ...

You cannot lie if what you say is all you know, so no, they don't lie, which is the key difference between dems and reps. Dems are naive but at least honest, reps are smart but very dishonest. Honestly, neither are worth their weight in dung but at least with the dems you can trust they know no different and that when they screw us all over at least it's with the best of intentions.

Speaking of ignorance What you think you know would fill an encyclopeadia what you actually know would fill a three by five card and that mostly with misinformation.

Why is it stupid to consider the possibility of Greed as the source of our problems? It is stupid for someone to kill the wonderful gold laying goose, but fearing the feds because you are stupid is a lame excuse.

Remember:
"Greed sprouts from mind primed with the knowledge of gain, and the ignorance of lost...
"

Aside from the blatant ignorance on how businesses and major corporations operate ...

You cannot lie if what you say is all you know, so no, they don't lie, which is the key difference between dems and reps. Dems are naive but at least honest, reps are smart but very dishonest. Honestly, neither are worth their weight in dung but at least with the dems you can trust they know no different and that when they screw us all over at least it's with the best of intentions.
Had to quote you here. Dems are just as corrupt as Reps regardless what you may think.

I have personally met more honorable Reps than dems over the years.

Dems know damn well they are selling out at a price and they never consider the long term price all will pay. Reps are normally doing the buying or paying off that is the difference. Both parties have lost their way and neither has true dems or true reps running them. What you have is a bunch of sold out bought off crooks claiming to be doing what is best for people. When in fact they looked to line their own pockets and it all got a bit out of control with too many fingers in the cookie jar, the jar burst and no one is sure how to put the pieces back together.

Forum List

Back