Obama and GM Cook the Books

Jroc

יעקב כהן
Oct 19, 2010
Michigan
A billion here, a billion there, and before you know it . .

pic_giant_051612_M.jpg

Would you hire President Obama as your financial adviser? Three years ago his administration invested more than $100 billion in taxpayer money to bail out General Motors. On Tuesday, the entire company, not just what the government owns, was worth less than $34 billion. By anyone’s definition, that investment is a glaring failure. Yet over the last few days the Obama campaign, in a $25 million marketing blitz, has flooded the airwaves with ads in battleground states, claiming the bailout should be counted a rousing success.

Unfortunately, assertions that “all loans have been repaid to the federal government,” that the bailout “saved more than one million American jobs,” that “U.S. automakers are hiring hundreds of thousands of new workers,” that GM is again the “number-one automaker” — all are based on creative accounting.

The money the government spent adds up quickly: $50 billion in TARP bailout funds, a special exemption waiving payment of $45.4 billion in taxes on future profits, an exemption for all product liability on cars sold before the bailout, $360 million in stimulus funds, and the $7,500 tax credit for those who buy the Chevy Volt. GM’s share of other programs is harder to quantify but includes, for example, some of the $15.2 billion that went to Cash for Clunkers. Those costs are in addition to the billions taken from GM’s bondholders by the Obama administration.

Obama’s economic advisers told him during an April 2009 meeting that job losses in the auto industry would be only a fraction — 10 to 20 percent — of these claimed numbers, even for the much weaker Chrysler. The advisers reported the obvious: Bankruptcy would not kill all jobs at GM and, even with cutbacks, suppliers would pick up other work. But Obama keeps using numbers that his own advisers told him were wrong.

Even saving 20 percent of 400,000 comes at quite a cost — at least $780,000 per job. How many workers would have been willing to quit working for GM for a $400,000 severance payment?

The “number-one automaker” assertion is no more accurate. Obama’s sales totals include 1.2 million mostly cheap commercial vehicles built by China’s Wuling, a company in which GM owns a small stake

Obama and GM Cook the Books - John Lott - National Review Online

GM is alive......really ?

Why don't they just rename it Obamatrolly ?

GM is alive......really ?

Why don't they just rename it Obamatrolly ?

"Government Motors" is good...I have to admit, I've always owned GM products. I bought my last truck right before Obama and the UAW took over the company. That was a sad day for me.

All I ever buy are trucks. Since the 90's dodge has ruled.

Me too, other than my Silverado I have two GM vans for my business...I just like GMs what can I say.

My last gm truck was an 87 shortbed silverado.
Jet black and fast as hell. Was a fun tinker toy.

Now I'm searching for a 73 to 77 Monte with t tops

Hard to find a good one that isn't over 6k

Dodge Dart II (Alfa!)!! Seriously, thanks for the Depression...sthu.

Mopar and GM are doing great- no thanks to bs lying, greedy Pubs...and the dupes.

Last edited:
More vans here, no pickups...'83 Ford 150 extra long, longest 4 on the floor ever lol 68 Chevy,,,

66 Microbus in France, 2 Campmobiles, one picked up at factory- all with beds...

Last edited:
More vans here, no pickups...'83 Ford 150 extra long, longest 4 on the floor ever lol 68 Chevy,,,

66 Microbus in France, 2 Campmobiles, one picked up at factory- all with beds...

My first car was a 69 Impalla

Big ass boat. Metallic green 327 and crazy fun to drive. Pegged the dashboard at 120 and had plenty left

All I ever buy are trucks. Since the 90's dodge has ruled.

Me too, other than my Silverado I have two GM vans for my business...I just like GMs what can I say.

My last gm truck was an 87 shortbed silverado.
Jet black and fast as hell. Was a fun tinker toy.

Now I'm searching for a 73 to 77 Monte with t tops

Hard to find a good one that isn't over 6k

Good luck, not many made in the first place. I owned a '72 and a '76 monte carlo.

I'll tell you all a sickening story.

My grandfather served in WWII and had some kind of mental collapse.

He bought a new car every few years and somehow never paid tag fees on them. One day before I was born he bought a couple 55 Nomads. Drove one into his garage and NEVER drove it again. Sadly he was a horder and saved every newspaper from the 30's on in his garage. Eventually a fire ensued and the windshield and driver side mirror was melted. The house was saved but the car was given to my uncle who left it parked on blocks on his land. I wanted that car so bad and he never restored it. 55K miles on it and it just rusted away.

Forum List

Back