Obama and Congress... worst in a lifetime

Conservative

Type 40
Jul 1, 2011
Pennsylvania
Poll: Low ratings for Obama, Congress on debt talks - USATODAY.com

Half of those surveyed in a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll say President Obama and Congress are doing a worse job than their predecessors in dealing with the nation's problems. Four in 10 call it the worst they've seen in their lifetimes.
Both sides are sucking, big time.

At least two-thirds say congressional Republicans and Democrats put their own political interests ahead of the country's best interests. Just 7% see both sides as negotiating in good faith.
The 7% figure seems a little high to me.

Those surveyed were asked which concerns them more: that the government will raise the debt ceiling without making major cuts in future spending or that the government won't raise the debt ceiling and a major economic crisis will result.

By 55%-35%, a solid majority are more concerned that policymakers won't cut spending.
Note to Congress, and President Obama...

CUT SPENDING!!!!!!!!

I have to agree ...the ability of our political structure to get things done is the worst in my lifetime

Granny says, "Dat's right - we's mad as hell an' ain't gonna take it no more...
:eek:
Silent majority fed up with Washington
July 23, 2011 -- The brilliant but disgraced President Richard Nixon once gave a speech in which he spoke of the "silent majority" in American politics.
These were the people, he observed, who didn't wave signs or march in the streets. Rather, they were the people who quietly went about their lives, going to work, raising their families and giving back to their communities. Nixon gave this speech in 1969 at the height of the Vietnam War. But more than four decades later, his basic observation still rings true. For if there was ever a time that a silent majority existed in American politics, it is today. The current debate over raising the debt limit is a good example.

The debate is dominated by the political extremes. Those on the far right would rather have the federal government default on its financial obligations than give ground on what is anathema to most conservatives: raising taxes. Those on the far left would rather risk default than give ground on what is anathema to most liberals: reducing entitlements. Caught between these two extremes are those Americans who want their leaders to set aside ideology and do what's best for the country. This is America's silent majority. These are the Americans who watch ESPN and HGTV at night instead of MSNBC and Fox. They vote in most elections, although they've been known to miss a primary or two. If they contribute to a campaign, it's usually to a local candidate or a friend who's running for the school board.

They supported the Democrats in 2008 and the Republicans in 2010. They're sympathetic to the tea party, but only to a point. More than anything, what turns them off about politics is the pettiness and partisanship coming out of Washington. They voted for Obama because he seemed like a different kind of leader, and then opposed him two years later because he ended up being not that different at all. They're willing to give him another shot next year, because they like him. But they're keeping their eyes open for other possible candidates, such as New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, as well.

If you had to put a label on them, it would most likely be independent, but there are also some Republicans and Democrats in the group. Political consultants are frustrated by them because they're unpredictable. But if you ask them, they'll make it perfectly clear what they're looking for. They're looking for results from their leaders, not rhetoric, because they want government to work. To that same end, they're looking for value, not values, from Washington, because they want to know the tax dollars they are sending to our Nation's capital are being put to good use and providing some sort of return.

This is America's silent majority, and they are underrepresented in American political life. Polls released over the past few days bear that out. Eighty percent of respondents to a Washington Post/ABC News survey reported they are "dissatisfied" or "angry" about the way the federal government is working. Along those same lines, a USA Today/Gallup Poll found that at least two-thirds of those surveyed said members of Congress from both parties gave priority to their political interests above the country's best interests.

MORE

Yep, both sides are taking a hit, but Republicans are doing worse. Most people feel that a combination of spending cuts and tax hikes are needed to cut the deficit and get the country on track to a better economy. Republicans are living in fantasy-land if they think that spending is the only problem. We need more revenue. The rich need to contribute more.

Yep, both sides are taking a hit, but Republicans are doing worse. Most people feel that a combination of spending cuts and tax hikes are needed to cut the deficit and get the country on track to a better economy. Republicans are living in fantasy-land if they think that spending is the only problem. We need more revenue. The rich need to contribute more.

Youre a class warfare artist.

Lets just let them borrow a few trillion now on the promise they will cut.

Well guess what? The debt has increased for the last 53 years running. Continuing to borrow more is nuts.

Even with a grand compromise we run trillion dollar deficits , yes that includes sticking it to the rich. But I understand studying shrimp on treadmills is worthwhile stuff, and teaching prostitutes to drink responsibly, who doesnt want that.

OH BROTHER. Not another dime.

I agree . And I think its bad on both sides at this point. I am sorry you knew this was coming for how long and they wait until things are due before they take action!!! What do they get paid for because it doesnt seem what we sent them to Washington to do.

Well guess what? The debt has increased for the last 53 years running. Continuing to borrow more is nuts.

Even with a grand compromise we run trillion dollar deficits , yes that includes sticking it to the rich. But I understand studying shrimp on treadmills is worthwhile stuff, and teaching prostitutes to drink responsibly, who doesnt want that.

Oh boy, here comes the class warfare accusations. The rich are doing very well. Their taxes are the lowest they've been in 50 years. Republicans want the poor, the old and the sick to do more with less. Everybody has to sacrifice, they say. But if anybody even mentions a measly tax increase on the people that are doing great financially and have no worries in the near future, they get accused of waging class warfare. Give it a break, buddy. I'm not buying into that ridiculous argument.

Cuts in government spending AND increased tax revenues are both needed. What the numbnut liberals fail to understand is that more investments in new employees and expansion of businesses will result from DECREASING tax rates. Less investing and fewer new hires will result from tax rate increases.

Moochers are always in favor of socking it to "the wealthy". The appear to be incapable of understanding that rich people will invest more WHEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE MORE is there. When they MAKE MORE...TAX REVENUES ARE INCREASED!

What is so hard for you to see?

Oh boy, here comes the class warfare accusations. The rich are doing very well. Their taxes are the lowest they've been in 50 years. Republicans want the poor, the old and the sick to do more with less. Everybody has to sacrifice, they say. But if anybody even mentions a measly tax increase on the people that are doing great financially and have no worries in the near future, they get accused of waging class warfare. Give it a break, buddy. I'm not buying into that ridiculous argument.

CUT SPENDING!!!!!!!!

Cut spending ANNNNND raise taxes on the wealthy for 3-5 years. We need heros. And those heros will be the wealthy.
See above. We will DECREASE tax revenues and jobs creations by raising taxes. We will INCREASE tax revenues and jobs creations by lowering tax rates.

You fail to understand the difference between tax revenues and tax rates. You fail to understand that rates and revenue can be inversely proportional...that is, when rates fall a bit, revenues increase. The economy grows. More money flows. More revenue comes to Uncle Sam.

The liberals would sooner tax us into non-existence than to admit that they have been wrong all these many years.

I agree . And I think its bad on both sides at this point. I am sorry you knew this was coming for how long and they wait until things are due before they take action!!! What do they get paid for because it doesn't seem what we sent them to Washington to do.
Absolutely correct! Republicans and Democrats in Congress are identical twins when it comes to motives and methods. They will say whatever it takes to get re-elected and they will do whatever benefits themselves the most after getting elected. They will campaign for the next election throughout their term of office (Obama has never stopped campaigning!) all in the selfish interest of remaining in power. They will sabotage perfectly good bills with amendments to make them a tough pill to swallow for those that favored the original bill.

That is what will happen to Boehner's bill. If it passes the House, it will go to the Senate. Reid and his ilk will attach so many unwanted amendments to it that when it comes back to the house, Boehner himself will not want to vote for it and the Democrats can claim that Boehner killed his own bill. That's the way these highly paid thieves work in Washington...on both sides of the aisle. There are liars and thieves on both sides.

Think TERM LIMITS!!!!!

Cuts in government spending AND increased tax revenues are both needed. What the numbnut liberals fail to understand is that more investments in new employees and expansion of businesses will result from DECREASING tax rates. Less investing and fewer new hires will result from tax rate increases.

Moochers are always in favor of socking it to "the wealthy". The appear to be incapable of understanding that rich people will invest more WHEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE MORE is there. When they MAKE MORE...TAX REVENUES ARE INCREASED!

What is so hard for you to see?

Cut spending ANNNNND raise taxes on the wealthy for 3-5 years. We need heros. And those heros will be the wealthy.
See above. We will DECREASE tax revenues and jobs creations by raising taxes. We will INCREASE tax revenues and jobs creations by lowering tax rates.

You fail to understand the difference between tax revenues and tax rates. You fail to understand that rates and revenue can be inversely proportional...that is, when rates fall a bit, revenues increase. The economy grows. More money flows. More revenue comes to Uncle Sam.

The liberals would sooner tax us into non-existence than to admit that they have been wrong all these many years.

I agree . And I think its bad on both sides at this point. I am sorry you knew this was coming for how long and they wait until things are due before they take action!!! What do they get paid for because it doesn't seem what we sent them to Washington to do.
Absolutely correct! Republicans and Democrats in Congress are identical twins when it comes to motives and methods. They will say whatever it takes to get re-elected and they will do whatever benefits themselves the most after getting elected. They will campaign for the next election throughout their term of office (Obama has never stopped campaigning!) all in the selfish interest of remaining in power. They will sabotage perfectly good bills with amendments to make them a tough pill to swallow for those that favored the original bill.

That is what will happen to Boehner's bill. If it passes the House, it will go to the Senate. Reid and his ilk will attach so many unwanted amendments to it that when it comes back to the house, Boehner himself will not want to vote for it and the Democrats can claim that Boehner killed his own bill. That's the way these highly paid thieves work in Washington...on both sides of the aisle. There are liars and thieves on both sides.

Think TERM LIMITS!!!!!

You are an Imbecile!!!!!!!!!!

The rich need to contribute more.

You made the comment. Not me. Everyone should be taxed at the same rate.

Forum List

Back