Obama and Bush Eulogies: The Grotesque and the Graceful

Wehrwolfen

May 22, 2012
Obama and Bush Eulogies: The Grotesque and the Graceful​

Thomas Lifson
December 23, 2012

President Obama has a very serious ego problem, and when he goes off teleprompter, it sticks out like a sore thumb. His eulogy for Senator Inouye on Friday was grotesque in its focus on the speaker, not the dearly departed.

Unsurprisingly, President George W. Bush delivered a graceful eulogy for Gerald R. Ford's funeral, a model from which his successor should, but will not, learn. As David Paulin points out:

A great funeral eulogy and not a single mention of "I" or "me" by President Bush. He says "us" and "we" at two points, both only in respect to the American people. Bush's speech is devoted entirely to Ford's life, character, and public service -- and he provides wonderful anecdotes that brings these things to life.​

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsVqCJ4BSlo]Gerald R. Ford Funeral - President George W. Bush Speech - YouTube[/ame]​

It is time to amp up the ridicule of Obama. Attach the label egotist to him, using all the tools the left has developed, from street theatre to social media. The man has supplied us with plenty of material, but the dominant media will not touch him. The public sooner or later will reevaluate the man as things get worse in his second term.

Read more:
Blog: Obama and Bush Eulogies: The Grotesque and the Graceful

[Powerlineblog skewers Obama's Inouye eulogy admiration to himself as only powerlineblog can. You just gotta love it, the always consistent Obama, if his mouth be movin', he be lyin']

"If one is ever going to embellish significantly on the truth, a eulogy is probably the place to do it. But the embellishment should pertain solely to the deceased, not the eulogizer.

In his eulogy for Sen. Daniel Inouye, President Obama spoke in some detail about his favorite subject — himself. In doing so Obama claimed that “Danny Inouye was perhaps my earliest political inspiration.” He explained that he learned how a democracy is supposed to work from watching Sen. Inouye cross-examine witnesses during the Senate Watergate hearings. Without that experience, Obama asserted, “I might never have considered a career in public service; I might not be standing here today.”

Inouye was impressive during the Watergate hearings, to be sure. John Ehrlichman, one of the targets, dubbed him “Senator Ain’t-no-way,” as in ain’t no way he’s not coming after you hard.

But, as Patrick Brennan points out, Obama has written two autobiographies. In them, collectively, he mentions the late Hawaii Senator only once. And in that one mention, Obama compares Inouye to former Alaska Senator Ted Stevens(!) as an example of the Senate’s collegial “dying breed.”

Inouye also received no mention in the two leading biographies of Obama — David Remnick’s and David Maraniss’. And Brennan found no referenes to Inouye in Obama’s publicly reported speeches.

In Dreams from My Father, Obama does mention, in passing, watching the Watergate hearings as a boy during a family trip. But he doesn’t suggest that these hearings marked the beginning of his political awareness or that they had any particular significance for him. The reference merely adds color: “We took Greyhound buses, mostly, and stayed at Howard Johnson’s, and watched the Watergate hearings every night before going to bed.”

No matter what the occasion, and no matter who is supposed to be the subject of praise, for Barack Obama the topic is always the same — Barack Obama. And when he discusses this topic, the truth is usually beside the point."

Barack Obama’s forgotten “earliest poltical inspiration” | Power Line

I need to find or invent an anti jaw dropping device. I hadn't heard Obama's eulogy for the Senator.

Good grief. Jaw dropped again. Wow.

Obama Praises Himself During Eulogy for Sen. Daniel Inouye​

Sen. Daniel Inouye was a War hero who spent his entire life serving his country. Yet, when President Barack Obama delivered his eulogy for Inouye at the National Cathedral in Washington DC, it seemed he was talking more about himself than about the late Senator. In his address, Obama used the word ‘me’ 12 times; ‘my’ 21 times and ‘I’ 30 times. All toll, in a speech of only 1,600 words, Obama managed to refer to himself 60 times.

I took speech class in high school and we had to prepare and deliver a eulogy. We were taught that a eulogy is a speech that praises the deceased person you are talking about. It’s not about you or anyone else. It’s about the dearly departed.

But just like his Thanksgiving Day address, or Veteran’s Day address or every other time the President has spoken lately, it’s all about him and how wonderful and great he is. Election season is over and he no longer needs to keep trying to sell himself to the nation.

If I was a member of the Inouye family, I would be irate and incensed about Obama’s self-centered eulogy. It was definitely inappropriate, unprofessional and uncaring. But what do you expect from our self-proclaimed tyrant?

[Excerpt]

Read more: http://godfatherpolitics.com/8673/obama-praises-himself-during-eulogy-for-sen-daniel-inouye/comment-page-8/#comments#ixzz2GCLfqkMz

President Barack Obama used the funeral for Hawaii senator Daniel Inouye to talk about himself.
In the short 1,600 word speech, Obama used the word "
my" 21 times,
"me" 12 times, and
"I" 30 times.
Obama Uses Funeral Service to Talk About Himself | The Weekly Standard

GWB on the other hand..1,666 word eulogy for President Reagan used:
"my" one times Versus Obama 21 times!
"me" zero Versus Obama 12 times!!
"I" 2 times.. Versus Obama 30 times!!
Disgusting how the MSM will NEVER point this out though!!!

Forum List

Back