Obama Agrees With Bush

Sinatra

Feb 5, 2009
Moves to keep detainees indefinitely...
____

Obama WH adopts Bush indefinite-detention position

Remember when the Left scoffed at the argument from George W. Bush that claimed the authorization to use military force allowed the executive branch to hold captured terrorists indefinitely, without criminal trial? Bush’s opponents screamed about human rights and due process, and claimed that Bush had abused his power. Those critics included Barack Obama, who regularly castigated the Bush administration for its failure to provide his idea of due process to detainees at Guantanamo Bay and elsewhere, as well as blasting Bush for his argument that he didn’t require Congress to act to maintain that power.
Now? Change you can believe in, baby:

The Obama administration has decided not to seek new legislation from Congress authorizing the indefinite detention of about 50 terrorism suspects being held without charges at at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, officials said Wednesday.
Instead, the administration will continue to hold the detainees without bringing them to trial based on the power it says it has under the Congressional resolution passed after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, authorizing the president to use force against forces of Al Qaeda and the Taliban.

In concluding that it does not need specific permission from Congress to hold detainees without charges, the Obama administration is adopting one of the arguments advanced by the Bush administration in years of debates about detention policies.
But President Obama’s advisers are not embracing the more disputed Bush contention that the president has inherent power under the Constitution to detain terrorism suspects indefinitely regardless of Congress.
The Justice Department said in a statement Wednesday night that “the administration would rely on authority already provided by Congress” under the use of force resolution. “The administration is not currently seeking additional authorization,” the statement said.

This is known as a distinction without a difference. If the White House doesn’t see the need to get Congressional authorization for continued indefinite detention, then it means that the White House believes it has that power under the Constitution, whence it derives all authority. They may not want to say it out loud, but their actions speak volumes. Obama has adopted the Bush position in its entirety.

Hot Air » Blog Archive » Obama WH adopts Bush indefinite-detention position

even from hot air,

this makes me mad.

it made me mad when the "get out of gitmo" thing was morphed to let's move them to bagram.

fuck obama if he keeps these fascists tools at his disposal

This really only adds to the list of things that make him not a Liberal. But ignorant Republicans like you Sinatra will continue to call him one.

Obama has two paths going: First is what he inherited from the Bush administration. He has voted to continue virtually all of it. So much for "change."
Second is what he is doing on his own, like healthcare and tax and trade. IF he gets those passed (and its a big if) it will be ruinous to the economy, leading to stagflation and unemployment. So much for "hope."
Nope, this is a one termer. Whether he's replaced by the Republican or Democrat I can't say yet.

Obama has two paths going: First is what he inherited from the Bush administration. He has voted to continue virtually all of it. So much for "change."
Second is what he is doing on his own, like healthcare and tax and trade. IF he gets those passed (and its a big if) it will be ruinous to the economy, leading to stagflation and unemployment. So much for "hope."
Nope, this is a one termer. Whether he's replaced by the Republican or Democrat I can't say yet.

There is increasing talk within the Democrat power structure regarding a run against Obama. If things don't turn around heading into 2010, things could get very ugly.

I don't have the clip on hand, but Hillary placed a box around Obama on Afghanistan the other day - forcing Obama's hand. It was not widely reported, but her words were striking in that SHE was setting the Afghan policy, not Obama. She spoke as her own - and not appearing as part of the administration. The news anchor showing the clip gave a brief remark to the effect, "Is she still working for Obama?"

This White House has done very little to endear itself to the moderate Dems, and now with Obama's continued Bush-style anti-terror policies, he is ticking off the more liberal wing of the Democrat Party. And of course, his near complete inability to include Republican leadership in the legislative process has done Obama no favors with them as well.

The first year has been as inept an administration in recent memory - even more chaotic than the first Clinton term...

This is old news. However it is worth repeating.

15wxn29.gif

There is increasing talk within the Democrat power structure regarding a run against Obama. If things don't turn around heading into 2010, things could get very ugly.

I don't have the clip on hand, but Hillary placed a box around Obama on Afghanistan the other day - forcing Obama's hand. It was not widely reported, but her words were striking in that SHE was setting the Afghan policy, not Obama. She spoke as her own - and not appearing as part of the administration. The news anchor showing the clip gave a brief remark to the effect, "Is she still working for Obama?"

This White House has done very little to endear itself to the moderate Dems, and now with Obama's continued Bush-style anti-terror policies, he is ticking off the more liberal wing of the Democrat Party. And of course, his near complete inability to include Republican leadership in the legislative process has done Obama no favors with them as well.

The first year has been as inept an administration in recent memory - even more chaotic than the first Clinton term...

Yeah. The Left hates him for not making public option mandatory in health care and continuing Bush's policies in the GWOT. The moderates hate him for putting them at odds with their constituents. The GOP--don't even go there.
He promised to take charge of health care with his speech. That didnt happen.
No, I wouldn't be surprised to see pressure put on him to step down after one year, esp if the GOP looks like they will get a good candidate.

Yeah. The Left hates him for not making public option mandatory in health care and continuing Bush's policies in the GWOT. The moderates hate him for putting them at odds with their constituents. The GOP--don't even go there.
He promised to take charge of health care with his speech. That didnt happen.
No, I wouldn't be surprised to see pressure put on him to step down after one year, esp if the GOP looks like they will get a good candidate.
___

That would require much more problems than will likely transpire in that short amount of time.

Far more likely the Republican gains made in the House and Senate will cause a change in Democrat leadership in Congress - Pelosi and Reid will be gone.

Obama will then have to deal with a more moderate Democrat power structure, and an larger Republican presence, or persist in his statist-liberal agenda. If Obama chooses the former, he will likely win re-election. If he chooses the latter, it's game on...

its so amazing to me that someone would get the opportunity to be President then squander it all on bullshit and in effect become one of the worst Presidents to ever exist.

what the hell ever happend to the traditional American statesman?

Forum List

Back