Obama Admin's Justice Department Sues Massachussetts Department of Corrections

What do you guys think about this? Do you think the Obama admin has more pressing issues to deal with than an internal state matter? I do. I also disagree with the intention of the suit and its merits.

Welcome to the United States Department of Justice

Boston Globe said:
WASHINGTON – The Justice Department announced that it has filed a lawsuit today against the commonwealth of Massachusetts and its Department of Corrections (MDOC), alleging that they engaged in a pattern or practice of discrimination against female applicants for entry-level correctional officer positions, in violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act…

The department’s complaint, filed in federal court in Boston, alleges that Massachusetts and the MDOC are using an unlawful physical abilities test (PAT) that disproportionately screens out female applicants for entry-level correctional officer jobs, resulting in a significant disparate impact against female applicants.
If there really is discrimination based upon gender, then it's a Federal issue. And they're required to act upon a complaint. Just because they're addressing this issue doesn't mean they can't work on other problems, too. They can multitask :)

The suit alleges that the fitness test disproportionately screens out women and is not job-related. Some 107 of 182 female applicants, or less than 59 percent, passed the physical fitness test in 2007 and 2008, while 628 of 652 male applicants, or more than 96 percent, passed, according to the complaint.

The test consists of 11 tasks meant to simulate a “code red’’ emergency, according to a copy of the exam available online. In the scenario, an officer must run half a mile to another location in the prison, climb to the top floor where fighting prisoners have left two officers unconscious, drag the officers to safety, and restrain the prisoners.

Among the drills that applicants must perform are running half a mile on a treadmill, dashing up 288 steps in three minutes, carrying 85-pound weights, and pushing and pulling a sled loaded with 70 pounds of weights. Applicants must pass all 11 drills to enter the academy.

I'm not sure why this is considered to be 'non-job-related'. It no doubt is related to the weights to be carried; I know there are women who can do that, though. Unless there is something else not being reported as yet (I couldn't find too much on it), I hope the Feds lose this case.

I found it.

http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/doc/physical_abilities_test_rationale.pdf

I think I see the problem... if I'm reading it correctly. Some of their guidelines are based upon the average for adult males.

This force range is within normal limits for adult males as documented by Snook and Ciriello

110 pounds is selected for this test as this is the normative 50th percentile for adult males lifting floor to waist as documented by Snook and Ciriello4.

80 pounds is selected for this test as this is the normative 50th percentile for adult males lifting floor to chest level as documented by Snook and Ciriello4.

Pushing and pulling forces at the 50th percentile for adult males are documented as approximately 70 pounds of horizontal force for adult males by Snook and Ciriello4.

Here are the tables, if you can make any sense of it lol:

http://libertymmhtables.libertymutual.com/CM_LMTablesWeb/pdf/LibertyMutualTables.pdf

I'm not sure about the testing and if it's fair, but why would a women want to work in a mens prison anyway? It just doesn't seem like a very smart career choice to me.

I'm glad that people understand what I was saying and it seems we all agree, the liberals, the conservatives, and the straddlers all seem to be of the opinion that its not a bad idea to have physical standards that apply equally across the board.

KUDOS to the forum.

Why would a woman who is not physically capable of doing the job even want the job? Why would anyone want her to have the job? Just because she's a woman? That's moronic.

What do you guys think about this? Do you think the Obama admin has more pressing issues to deal with than an internal state matter? I do. I also disagree with the intention of the suit and its merits.

Welcome to the United States Department of Justice

Boston Globe said:
WASHINGTON – The Justice Department announced that it has filed a lawsuit today against the commonwealth of Massachusetts and its Department of Corrections (MDOC), alleging that they engaged in a pattern or practice of discrimination against female applicants for entry-level correctional officer positions, in violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act…

The department’s complaint, filed in federal court in Boston, alleges that Massachusetts and the MDOC are using an unlawful physical abilities test (PAT) that disproportionately screens out female applicants for entry-level correctional officer jobs, resulting in a significant disparate impact against female applicants.

The Civil Rights act is a federal law...it has to be done by the feds. And they don't file these things unless there are complaints...a pattern of complaints.

Technically speaking, the lawsuit should have been filed by the actual person(s) involved, who allege direct violations of federal law.

What this amount to, is the feds strong-arming Massachusetts and the MDOC.

Why would a woman who is not physically capable of doing the job even want the job? Why would anyone want her to have the job? Just because she's a woman? That's moronic.

That is the mindset of the feds. Equality for all even if one is not technically qualified for the job in the first place.

The heck with the feds. They can go pound sand on this issue.

I have a lot of customers that work at Plymouth County Correctional for the MDOC and they said if this passes, and someone gets hurt/killed from it, they will be able to sue our bankrupt state.

Good luck getting any money out of this state, I'm still waiting for the 500 bucks the sheriff department has owed me since july, the state still hasn't given them any money to pay their bills.

That is the mindset of the feds. Equality for all even if one is not technically qualified for the job in the first place.

Is there no one who has any common sense? Really, it should be a job qualification. :rolleyes:

Is there no one who has any common sense? Really, it should be a job qualification. :rolleyes:

Common sense died with Thomas Paine. :eusa_eh: I agree with you Zoom.

Unless they want people to get hurt and killed and then have them or their families suing the state.

Actually it would be the federal govt's fault for forcing a change in the standards, maybe they could sue the justice department :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back