Obama Admin's Justice Department Sues Massachussetts Department of Corrections

PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2009
America's Home Town
What do you guys think about this? Do you think the Obama admin has more pressing issues to deal with than an internal state matter? I do. I also disagree with the intention of the suit and its merits.

Welcome to the United States Department of Justice

Boston Globe said:
WASHINGTON – The Justice Department announced that it has filed a lawsuit today against the commonwealth of Massachusetts and its Department of Corrections (MDOC), alleging that they engaged in a pattern or practice of discrimination against female applicants for entry-level correctional officer positions, in violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act…

The department’s complaint, filed in federal court in Boston, alleges that Massachusetts and the MDOC are using an unlawful physical abilities test (PAT) that disproportionately screens out female applicants for entry-level correctional officer jobs, resulting in a significant disparate impact against female applicants.

Holder certainly is a crack pick for AG isn't he.

Yet another fuckup appointed by the boiking.

I thought our physical requirement tests for prison guards are a great policy.

I dont see why its a problem that a job with physical requirements has a test to make sure the employees meet them.

90% of men and 55% of women pass the exam, if you can't pass you cant be a guard....where's the beef?

What do you guys think about this? Do you think the Obama admin has more pressing issues to deal with than an internal state matter? I do. I also disagree with the intention of the suit and its merits.

Boston Globe said:
WASHINGTON – The Justice Department announced that it has filed a lawsuit today against the commonwealth of Massachusetts and its Department of Corrections (MDOC), alleging that they engaged in a pattern or practice of discrimination against female applicants for entry-level correctional officer positions, in violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act…

The department’s complaint, filed in federal court in Boston, alleges that Massachusetts and the MDOC are using an unlawful physical abilities test (PAT) that disproportionately screens out female applicants for entry-level correctional officer jobs, resulting in a significant disparate impact against female applicants.

The Civil Rights act is a federal law...it has to be done by the feds. And they don't file these things unless there are complaints...a pattern of complaints.

So what are they going to do? Lower the physical requirements so more women who are less qualified can get a job as a prison guard (you know to keep the equality thing going) only to get nailed by the inmates?

Boston Globe said:

The Civil Rights act is a federal law...it has to be done by the feds. And they don't file these things unless there are complaints...a pattern of complaints.

The test doesn't discriminate, it holds men and women to the same physical standard. I thought men and women were supposed to be equals and held to equal standards of pay and work.

Last edited:
So what are they going to do? Lower the physical requirements so more women who are less qualified can get a job as a prison guard (you know to keep the equality thing going) only to get nailed by the inmates?

My uncle works in the prison system as a guard. He has to break up fights all the time and he doesn't get to carry a riot club or a gun....they have to use physical strength to do it.

If we put less physically strong individuals in the job my uncles risk of injury or death will be greatly increased. The only backup he has is his fellow guards and they are vastly outnumbered by criminals, many violent ones, who have nothing to do but pump iron all day.

I don't see how getting rid of this test would be a good thing.

My uncle works in the prison system as a guard. He has to break up fights all the time and he doesn't get to carry a riot club or a gun....they have to use physical strength to do it.

If we put less physically strong individuals in the job my uncles risk of injury or death will be greatly increased. The only backup he has is his fellow guards and they are vastly outnumbered by criminals, many violent ones, who have nothing to do but pump iron all day.

Me either. Equality is great but there are somethings that are more gender specific than others. This is one. Keep the bar where it is and if the women can't past the test, they don't get the job.

Me either. Equality is great but there are somethings that are more gender specific than others. This is one. Keep the bar where it is and if the women can't past the test, they don't get the job.

See thats where I dont get it....we have equality. The women and men are held to the same physical standard, thats equal. What's the beef?

Some people just have a low and wrong image of women as weak little creaters, they aren't.

The first woman injured by an inmate will file a lawsuit saying the prison had unsafe hiring practices because they allowed too many undersized guards.

And, she'll get a few million dollars.

Gotta love our country.

What? I can lift 1 and 1/2 my body weight. Should that let me collect? 90 lbls. So 135 lbs shoudl do it? Perhaps it's a problem?

Come on people the avaerage male is considerably taller and heavier than the average female. It only stands to reason that men will predominate in jobs in which size and strength are primary requirements.

See thats where I dont get it....we have equality. The women and men are held to the same physical standard, thats equal. What's the beef?

Some people just have a low and wrong image of women as weak little creaters, they aren't.

Because less women are being hired it will be painted as 'inequality'. :cuckoo:

from the article....the suggestion is to create a new physical test specific to correctional officer position.....i think that makes sense...

Title VII prohibits not only intentional discrimination in employment, but also the use of employment practices, such as physical performance tests, which result in disparate impact, unless the employer can prove that such practices are “job related for the position in question and consistent with business necessity.” The complaint states that the commonwealth and the MDOC’s use of the PAT is not job related and consistent with business necessity and, therefore, violates Title VII.

“Bringing an end to practices that have a discriminatory impact on the basis of sex is a major priority of the Justice Department and the Civil Rights Division. Physical abilities tests, like the one used by Massachusetts and the MDOC, should measure applicants’ ability to do the job without disproportionately screening out large numbers of qualified female applicants,” said Loretta King, Acting Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Rights Division.

The government’s complaint seeks a court order that would require Massachusetts and the MDOC to stop using the challenged PAT, adopt and use a physical fitness test for correctional officer applicants that complies with Title VII and provide remedial relief (including, as appropriate, job offers, retroactive seniority and back pay) to those female applicants who were harmed by the use of the PAT.

Sounds like a foolish policy to ignore the physical requirements for a job like this.

Better re read care. In the first line they are saying that such test are discriminatory against females and aren't permitted.

Better re read care. In the first line they are saying that such test are discriminatory against females and aren't permitted.

they said the specific PAT exam was unfair to use for correctional officers, entry level.

I don't know what the PAT exam entails so i can make no further comment on it...

but the article said they were to create a more specific physical exam for correctional officers?

again, there are no specifics so i do not thoroughly know what that means, other than it is not eliminating a physical exam for the entry level positions...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back