Obama Administration Offers $75,000 Grants to Sign Up More Food Stamp Recipients

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
lots of links and video at site

SNIP:

by Wynton Hall
Over the last three years, the number of Americans on food stamps has skyrocketed by two-thirds and stands at a record-high 46 million citizens, or one out of every seven people in the United States. Despite the historic rise in food stamp use, however, the Obama Administration believes not enough people are receiving food stamps who should be and is offering $75,000 grants to groups who devise “effective strategies” to “increase program participation” among those who have yet to sign up.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s website singles out Hispanics and elderly Americans as groups who often fail to enroll in the food stamp program (officially known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP) and says that one of the contributing factors that must be overcome to get more people to sign up for SNAP benefits is individual “pride”:

There are many reasons why eligible people, including seniors and Hispanics, do not participate in the SNAP. These include unawareness of eligibility, confusion about program rules and requirements, a complex application process, and a lack of transportation and pride.

To reduce these “barriers” to food stamp enrollment, the Department of Agriculture offers non-profit groups the chance to receive $75,000 grants for projects designed to boost food stamp participation among those who are eligible but have yet to sign up. The Department of Agriculture believes that the SNAP program is “severely underutilized” and says that 33 percent more Americans who are eligible to receive food stamps have yet to apply, thus the need to offer federal grants to sign more citizens up.

President Obama’s Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack has also argued that food stamps are an effective form of economic stimulus that puts “people to work” because each time food stamps are used at a grocery store “someone’s got to stock it, shelve it, package it, process it, ship it–all of those are jobs.”

And indeed, the SNAP Outreach Grant program likewise repeats the claim:

Communities benefit from the economic impact of food stamp redemption in local stores. Every dollar of new food stamp benefits generates a total of $1.84 in community spending.

Critics, however, find that line of logic unconvincing and say that is like arguing that car theft provides “economic stimulus” because it generates work for window repair shops, car radio stores, and police officers.

The Department of Agriculture’s website lists the 2001 through 2009 SNAP Outreach Grant recipients but offers no data for 2010 or 2011. Of the years listed, the highest recorded total grant allocation occurred in 2002 when $5,046,915 in grants were allocated.

Given the historic rise in the number of Americans now receiving food stamps over the last three years, one might assume that a program to enroll more citizens in the SNAP program is no longer needed. However, according to page 27 of the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s 2010-2015 Strategic Plan, the Obama Administration lists as one of its goals increasing SNAP participation by 2015 to a target 75 percent of all eligible Americans from the 2007 baseline of 65.8 percent. The strategic plan says it will accomplish the Administration’s goal through “aggressive and creative outreach, customer service improvements, earned media activities, demonstration projects, and research and analysis to identify reasons for and potential solutions to participation gaps.”

read it all and comments
» Obama Administration Offers $75,000 Grants to Sign Up More Food Stamp Recipients - Big Government

dammit, wth is with you people.

Im overseas, serving my country. And to be honest my GF is unemployed, in the state of FL that's been ramrodded by a complete idiot GOP governor. Times are tough. If not for me being a decent man and taking care of my woman, she probable would be on food stamps. For the first time in her life, she is 33.

is this Obamas fault? hell no. that's just insane. When will people like you realize almost 1/4 of America is in poverty. and falling fast. wake up, your American bothers and sisters are hurting.

Im overseas, serving my country. And to be honest my GF is unemployed, in the state of FL that's been ramrodded by a complete idiot GOP governor. Times are tough. If not for me being a decent man and taking care of my woman, she probable would be on food stamps. For the first time in her life, she is 33.

is this Obamas fault? hell no. that's just insane. When will people like you realize almost 1/4 of America is in poverty. and falling fast. wake up, your American bothers and sisters are hurting.

what ever any of that has to do with the article.

plenty.

People need help right now. its that simple.

why are you against helping others obtain help with life essentials?

plenty.

People need help right now. its that simple.

why are you against helping others obtain help with life essentials?

so I have to work to take care of myself and everyone else too?

or you believe the Food stamps like the money the Government doles out grows on that magic money tree in the back of the white house.

Last edited:

Seems like every time a Dem is in the White House, our servicemembers have to get on food stamps. I saw it under Carter and Clinton. Tough times. Things didn't get better until Reagan was sworn in. You should write Obama and ask for a payraise.
If you're living overseas in the military, thank God you have a free house, free electric, free water, etc. in government quarters. Where you living by the way?

This is more talk radio garbage. The 2008 Bush meltdown destroyed the housing and financial markets, and initiated an employment crisis that will not be resolved for more than a decade, as a generation of consumers is paralyzed by debt. When people are unemployed, Federal response programs are automatically engaged, no matter who is in office.

The new "Food Stamp" mantra is part of the old Southern Strategy. It is designed to exploit white fear over black welfare. This is very old stuff, and it is the way the GOP exploits the stupidity of their uneducated base. . . who gets most of their information from Talk Radio and Television (i.e., politically sponsored sources). These morons claim to hate government, but they get all their info from government - the Republican Party.

Obama is intentionally managing the decline of America, so yes, it is his fault.

Each state has their own strengths and weaknesses, pluses and minuses, but the federal government can have a great effect regardless of what you think.

Most of Obama's support comes from the poor while less comes from the Middle-class, so what do you think is his incentive to raise the poor up to the Middle-class?

Fact is he has none. It doesn't serve his purposes to help us out of poverty.

The sooner you realize that the sooner you'll understand why Democrats do what they do.

This is more talk radio garbage. The 2008 Bush meltdown destroyed the housing and financial markets, and initiated an employment crisis that will not be resolved for more than a decade, as a generation of consumers is paralyzed by debt. When people are unemployed, Federal response programs are automatically engaged, no matter who is in office.

The new "Food Stamp" mantra is part of the old Southern Strategy. It is designed to exploit white fear over black welfare. This is very old stuff, and it is the way the GOP exploits the stupidity of their uneducated base. . . who gets most of their information from Talk Radio and Television (i.e., politically sponsored sources). These morons claim to hate government, but they get all their info from government - the Republican Party.

So after 3 plus years of Obama the housing market is worse than it's ever been in our recorded history. That is a fact.

So of course you want to support Obama.

Makes sense.

It's the dependency.

What was that quote from LBJ that he'd have" ******* voting for Democrats for the next 200 years"?

Truth.

Its all about dependency.

Last edited:
If you go to the links you'll see these grants have been offered since at least 2001.

If there is money to be given why on earth wouldn't you want to encourage the starving elderly to apply for it?

If you go to the links you'll see these grants have been offered since at least 2001.

If there is money to be given why on earth wouldn't you want to encourage the starving elderly to apply for it?

what? there are starving elderly in the ObamaNation?:eusa_hand:

You don't have a clue what you are talking about.

May I suggest you really take a look around at who you think you are lecturing.

The USMB posters left and right are loaded for bear.

You would be a fool to post otherwise.

So, besides being an idiot and a fucking bigot, what are your other achievements?

Warrior, I am on Ascension Island, in the south Atlantic. been in the USAF for a good 8 years. Im a space junkie, so I love this place. And its a liberal paradise, no guns! The Brits and RAF wont allow them. its sort of cool really. I have to admit, everyone here has a job. If you don't have a job or a high level clearance you cant set foot here. its a unique place and a very special place. love being here and wish my fellow Americans could visit.

I just worry about my girl. Shes a strong, beautiful, smart American woman. she cant find work in Florida. Th situation has gotten so bad I told her to chill till I get home next in April.

Warrior, I am on Ascension Island, in the south Atlantic. been in the USAF for a good 8 years. Im a space junkie, so I love this place. And its a liberal paradise, no guns! The Brits and RAF wont allow them. its sort of cool really. I have to admit, everyone here has a job. If you don't have a job or a high level clearance you cant set foot here. its a unique place and a very special place. love being here and wish my fellow Americans could visit.

I just worry about my girl. Shes a strong, beautiful, smart American woman. she cant find work in Florida. Th situation has gotten so bad I told her to chill till I get home next in April.

I never heard of the place and just looked it up. I envy you. Looks like the Air Force's version of the Navy's Diego Garcia!

well how sweet, I'm sure most of us who have jobs and have to work to support OUR FAMILIES and everyone elses too, would just love to sit our butts at home.

She is not alone. I'm stuck up here in Canuck land, well I shouldnt say stuck these days because we are actually rocking up here, but my oh boy how do I phrase her. I Know Broward County in and out.

Rachel the second ex wife of my husbands father, I think I got that right:lol:,could barely find a job when she bailed on her teachers job. Rachel really just couldn't stand who she was working with any more.

ETA: no guff and not being a smart ass here she'd have to get ready to jump into a completely different venue. lots of work in the great state of Florida.

Last edited:
it sort of is. we are the last place to track and be accountable for launches from KSC. We also cover all Russian, Chinese and French launches. Not much gets by us. We help keep the high ground, big time. Its a very special and important asset to America. Love the privilege of working here.
Deaigo is far more up to date and better support overall. as you can imagine. But we do support the USAF 21st space wing on a 24/7 365 basis. we track over 700 objects a day and all the while keeping my beastly radar system in full operational mode. Its a lovely challenge.

anyone launches a rocket, we track it, no question about it.

the Brits used this island as the main staging area for the Falklands war.

Last edited:
ENVY

That's what most of the complaints about SNAP are really all about, kiddies.

Plenty of hard working people, people living on the margins but who are are not getting SNAP are enviously of those who do.

And as many of these folks know people on SNAP who are worthless pieces of shit, they presume that everybody on SNAP must be the same.

Throw in the 27/7 nonstop propaganda many of them listen too, propaganda designed to appeal to their petty conceits, and designed to make them fearful, too?

That is what is up with THOSE people.

Envy and FEAR motivate their hatred for their neighbors.

Forum List

Back