Obama Administration Limits Access to Guantanamo, Raising Transparency Questions

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
In the run-up to the presumed closure of Guantanamo Bay, the Obama administration has tightened access to the detention camps and made it tougher for reporters to speak with the guards and prisoners at the site.

The adjustments come as the administration struggles to follow through on its pledge to shutter the controversial Cuba-based facility by January, a deadline officials acknowledge might not be met.

But some question the decision to rein in access -- since the administration ran on a platform of transparency.

American Civil Liberties Union Director Anthony Romero said the access problems grate against the administration's pledges.

"It's frustrating," Romero told FOX News during an interview at the Navy base.

He said his organization has never been allowed inside the detention camps -- not under the Bush or Obama administrations -- but suggested that he was expecting more access since Jan. 20.

"Especially now in light of the Obama administration saying they wish to have greater transparency, it's more than a bit ironic that members of the press are now being denied access to the camps when they had it before under President Bush," he said.

The beat reporters who routinely cover the military commissions at the base used to be invited on military-planned side trips to the detention camps when court was not in session. The trips allowed journalists to film, photograph and write about conditions inside.

That is no longer the case. Several sources told FOX News the decision to discontinue the trips came from Washington and the Pentagon.

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman offered a brief explanation when asked about the decision-making process.

Rest of story here:

Obama Administration Limits Access to Guantanamo, Raising Transparency Questions - Political News - FOXNews.com

Fuck-an-A!

I was JUST telling a friend of mine that with all the discontent with BHO's actions and inactions the last couple of days, I bet him that we would soon hear some news about the last administration. He owes me five.

Seriously, just about an hour ago.

All the groupies will have a grand time frothing after this scent.

Last edited:
Barry will get right on this.

After he gets back from denmark, and nothing else comes up, like a shot on Conan.

It's nice to see that Fox News suddenly cares about transparency. :rolleyes: Especially there was a lacking of them asking the tough questions or any non-worship questions at all during the Bush Administration.

This only further proves the point I've been trying to make of Obama as of late.

It's nice to see that Fox News suddenly cares about transparency. :rolleyes: Especially there was a lacking of them asking the tough questions or any non-worship questions at all during the Bush Administration.
Proves you never watched. They were tougher on Bush actually, then the MSM was. Because they kept it factual and not ad-hom.

Just another issue which most Americans are going to make Hopey Changey and the Democrats pay for in coming elections. Most common sense thinking Americans just don't agree with Hopey Changey's handling of this issue.

American Civil Liberties Union Director Anthony Romero said the access problems grate against the administration's pledges.

"It's frustrating," Romero told FOX News during an interview at the Navy base.

Wow!

Fox News in bed with the ACLU, Who'd a thunk it?

Forum List

Back