Obama administration calls for halt to Texas execution

LilOlLady

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2009
Reno, NV
Houston Chronicle ^
July 01, 2011 Freeper2

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration took the unusual step Friday of asking the Supreme Court to stop Texas from executing a Mexican citizen convicted of raping and killing a 16-year-old girl.

The administration said the court should delay the planned July 7 execution of Humberto Leal for up to six months to give Congress time to consider legislation that would directly affect Leal's case.

(Excerpt) Read more at chron.com ...

Obama’s & Co. oppose execution because it may offend and harm Mexican and U.S. relationships? We have a relationship with Mexico? WTF? What about offending the little girl that was raped and murdered and her family.

Reciprocity is generally practiced between nations..

The 38-year-old native of Monterrey wasn't told he could contact the Mexican Consulate after his arrest in the murder of Adria Sauceda. His lawyers say police violated an international treaty by not telling Leal he could have consular assistance.

Read more: Obama administration calls for halt to Texas execution | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

I do hope that you guys don't bitch when an American in Mexico finds himself in a bad legal situation, then is convicted, then it's found they didn't get a chance to contact the American embassy.

The 38-year-old native of Monterrey wasn't told he could contact the Mexican Consulate after his arrest in the murder of Adria Sauceda. His lawyers say police violated an international treaty by not telling Leal he could have consular assistance.

Read more: Obama administration calls for halt to Texas execution | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

I do hope that you guys don't bitch when an American in Mexico finds himself in a bad legal situation, then is convicted, then it's found they didn't get a chance to contact the American embassy.

Ya that never happened.

Already a thread on this.

Like my mother said to me, "if you get into trouble and are thrown in jail, don't call me, your on your own."

Ya that never happened.

Link?

In any case..violating a treaty is good policy?

Ya that never happened.

Link?

In any case..violating a treaty is good policy?

Happens all the time. Especially with Mexico. It has no bearing on the sentence and had nothing too do with his getting sentenced to death. Its really a moot point and nothing more then a pissing contest between Texas and Obama. At best, the guy gets one more week to live. He needs to be a man and accept his fate. He is only torturing himself.

New Topics

Forum List

Back