Obama Admin & extra-judicial killings

Sheldon

Apr 2, 2010
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/25/world/25awlaki.html?partner=rss&emc=rss
WASHINGTON — The Obama administration on Friday asked a federal judge to throw out a lawsuit seeking to stop the government from killing an American citizen accused of ties to Al Qaeda.

In a legal brief, which was filed shortly before midnight, the administration included the contentious argument that litigating the matter could reveal state secrets.

The lawsuit was filed by the father of Anwar Al-Awlaki, a radical Muslim cleric who was born in New Mexico and is believed to be hiding in Yemen. Officials accuse the younger Mr. Awlaki of planning attacks for Al Qaeda’s Yemen branch, and he is believed to be on a “targeted killings” list for the military and the Central Intelligence Agency.

The lawsuit seeks an injunction to block the government from killing him. It contends that without an imminent threat, killings away from a combat zone are extrajudicial executions. And it rejects the notion that the United States’ war against Al Qaeda extends to Yemen.

The "war on terror" is such an amorphous concept. I don't like the idea of the US government killing American terrorist that are outside of a war zone. Problem is, the battleground for the "war on terror" is as malleable as the concept itself. All under the guise of protecting state secrets. Call it paranoia, but I see a slippery slope.

Okay, let me get this straight this administration says non-US citizens suspected of terrorism/providing aid to terrorists must be afforded all rights under our constitution but then puts out a "capture or kill" on a US CITIZEN.

this would be national news but dems wont make look obama bad and the neocons think its a great idea

Forum List

Back