Obama Addresses Congress (with a non-partisan OP)

• Banned
Just trying to create a neutral forum thread for discussion without an opening slant.

After President Obama's rousing speech tonight, I see the folks in Congress will be forced to make a choice. Health care reform legislation in some form WILL pass this year. Period. The question for the folks in Congress is whether to vote for the bill and hope it is successful or do you vote against the bill and hope it fails. No one wants to be remembered as someone who voted against a very important piece of legislation if it ended up helping Americans, just as no one wants to be the one who voted for this very important piece of legislation that ended up failing to accomplish it's goals. It should be interesting to see how this plays out from here...

• Banned
My personal opinion?

I thought the speech was great.

I thought the "You lie" comment was uncalled for and that Joe Wilson should apologize.

I thought the Republican rebuttal seemed to have been written without actually reading the text of the speech.

My personal opinion?

I thought the speech was great.

I thought the "You lie" comment was uncalled for and that Joe Wilson should apologize.

I thought the Republican rebuttal seemed to have been written without actually reading the text of the speech.

I agree wholeheartedly. First the RNC send Piyush Jindal to his political death by sending him to follow an Obama speech and now it appears the RNC set Boustany up with bad talking points. What gives?

It was typical.

And as to Wilson...that's sissy in comparison to what Euro Parliaments these days are like...or what occurred in the days of the Founders here.

The speech was well crafted and takes the fight to the republicans.
It covered what will hapen if we don't reform, content that nobody can disagree with (pre-existing conditions, coverage for everyone,) and openly attacked the fear mongerers

The Democrats need to push the bill while they have momentum and Obama needs to take his plan directly to the people.

It will pass, republicans will unilaterally vote against it and will pay a political price for their opposition

• Banned
It was typical.

And as to Wilson...that's sissy in comparison to what Euro Parliaments these days are like...or what occurred in the days of the Founders here.

While I agree that Euro Parliaments are quite a bit rowdier, prior congresses have shown respect during these events, and waited until afterwards to deliver a response.

Including, mind you, Democratic congressmen during Bush speeches.

Apparently some Republicans have no respect.

Well, I take it back. Wilson officially apologized.

Apparently he does have some respect. Good for him.

Forum List

Back