Obama Achievement That Should Have Been Enacted After 9-11 by Bush

Mustang

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
Yeah, one of the best ways to help overcome our dependence on foreign oil is to use less of it. And increasing cafe standards is one step in that direction.

Thank you, President Obama.

Now, I wonder why Bush never did anything like this. Do you suppose that it was because the oil industry didn't like the idea of selling less gas?

President Barack Obama, with the backing of major carmakers, announced a plan Friday to boost average fuel economy of new cars and trucks to 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025, nearly double current levels.

"This agreement on fuel standards represents the single most important step we’ve ever taken as a nation to reduce our dependence on foreign oil," Obama said at a Washington event with top automaker executives and union leaders.

The new standards are the result of a compromise with the industry after the White House initially proposed even tougher requirements that would have raised the Corporate Average Fuel Economy, or CAFE, standard to 62 mpg.

The plan announced Friday calls for a fleetwide average of 54.5 mpg -- higher for cars and lower for "light trucks," a category that includes pickups and sport utilitiy vehicles.

The fleet standard was stuck at 27.5 for two decades until it was raised under the Obama administration, which set an increase from 30.2 this year to 35.5 mpg in the 2016 model year. The new rules would require an additional 5 percent annual improvement in car fuel economy from 2017 to 2025. For light trucks the standard would rise 3.5 percent a year from 2017 to 2021 and 5 percent annually from 2021 to 2025.

New rules to demand far higher fuel economy - Business - Autos - msnbc.com

Aren't WE all Lucky the Obama IS HERE TO SAVE US..

And how is this a OBAMA achievement.. The damn AUTOMAKERS are the ones doing it..

gawd desperate to give this boyking ANYTHING...

Last edited:
Yeah, one of the best ways to help overcome our dependence on foreign oil is to use less of it. And increasing cafe standards is one step in that direction.

Now, I wonder why Bush never did anything like this. Do you suppose that it was because the oil industry didn't like the idea of selling less gas?

President Barack Obama, with the backing of major carmakers, announced a plan Friday to boost average fuel economy of new cars and trucks to 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025, nearly double current levels.

"This agreement on fuel standards represents the single most important step we’ve ever taken as a nation to reduce our dependence on foreign oil," Obama said at a Washington event with top automaker executives and union leaders.

The new standards are the result of a compromise with the industry after the White House initially proposed even tougher requirements that would have raised the Corporate Average Fuel Economy, or CAFE, standard to 62 mpg.

The plan announced Friday calls for a fleetwide average of 54.5 mpg -- higher for cars and lower for "light trucks," a category that includes pickups and sport utilitiy vehicles.

The fleet standard was stuck at 27.5 for two decades until it was raised under the Obama administration, which set an increase from 30.2 this year to 35.5 mpg in the 2016 model year. The new rules would require an additional 5 percent annual improvement in car fuel economy from 2017 to 2025. For lighttrucks the standard would rise 3.5 percent a year from 2017 to 2021 and 5 percent annually from 2021 to 2025.

Gee, I have no idea why it did not happen under Bush. Could it be because it was illegal when he was in office, and CAFE standards had to come from Congress?

Nah, couldn't be that simple.

About 30 years overdue.

How many times have I heard cons say that Obama isn't doing anything? Bush diddled for years. This should have been one of the first things he did to decrease our dependence on ME oil, but we had to wait until he was out of office for it to get done.

Congress diddled. Feel free to blame Bush though, you will anyway.

The fleet standard was stuck at 27.5 for two decades until it was raised under the Obama administration, which set an increase from 30.2 this year to 35.5 mpg in the 2016 model year. The new rules would require an additional 5 percent annual improvement in car fuel economy from 2017 to 2025. For light trucks the standard would rise 3.5 percent a year from 2017 to 2021 and 5 percent annually from 2021 to 2025.

I say this yesterday, what a joke, force Detroit into producing even less desirable vehicles? So how many times are we supposed to bailout GM before enough is enough?

The fleet standard was stuck at 27.5 for two decades until it was raised under the Obama administration, which set an increase from 30.2 this year to 35.5 mpg in the 2016 model year. The new rules would require an additional 5 percent annual improvement in car fuel economy from 2017 to 2025. For lighttrucks the standard would rise 3.5 percent a year from 2017 to 2021 and 5 percent annually from 2021 to 2025.

I say this yesterday, what a joke, force Detroit into producing even less desirable vehicles? So how many times are we supposed to bailout GM before enough is enough?

How is it less desirable to get far more MPG? I mean, people complain about gas prices, right? Well, if you can buy a vehicle that gets twice as many MPG, that's the same as halving your monthly fuel bill, isn't it?

How is it less desirable to get far more MPG? I mean, people complain about gas prices, right? Well, if you can buy a vehicle that gets twice as many MPG, that's the same as halving your monthly fuel bill, isn't it?

sure people complain about gas prices. They complain about all prices....but they still pay the prices anyway becuase they want what they want.

So may of us are OK with the higher prices as long as we enjoy the luxury of more leg room...safer framework (heavier).....etc.

But to get to that 50+ MPG....we will no longer have those options....

About 30 years overdue.

How many times have I heard cons say that Obama isn't doing anything? Bush diddled for years. This should have been one of the first things he did to decrease our dependence on ME oil, but we had to wait until he was out of office for it to get done.

Congress diddled. Feel free to blame Bush though, you will anyway.

You mean the Republican Congress?

Hey, Bush and Cheney were oil men. Given a chance to put the needs of the country first or the interests of the oil companies first, I think it's clear what choice they made.

Since when is MPG the only legit measure of fuel efficiency?

Damn...The lack of intellectual curiosity of the authoritarian mindset is astonishing.

Sure, because God forbid we actually drill for our own right here within our borders. No, instead let's raise CAFE standards so that automobiles becomes more expensive to purchase and harder to afford for the poor and middle class. Yep, sure glad Obama is looking out for the "working man."

Since when is MPG the only legit measure of fuel efficiency?

Damn...The lack of intellectual curiosity of the authoritarian mindset is astonishing.

so we will save 1000 a year on gasoline....but need to spend 2000 more for a car.

Sounds like it will be consumer friendly.

These insecure little guys have to drive fast, powerful vehicles.

yeah...

and then there are some of us that enjoy the comfort of a larger car and not as wrapped up in fuel efficiency.

sure people complain about gas prices. They complain about all prices....but they still pay the prices anyway becuase they want what they want.

So may of us are OK with the higher prices as long as we enjoy the luxury of more leg room...safer framework (heavier).....etc.

But to get to that 50+ MPG....we will no longer have those options....

People want what they want right up until the moment that they want something else.

One of the things that is driving (no pun intended) fuel prices higher is the fact that more Chinese and Indians (as in the subcontinent) are buying cars. Since that trend shows no signs of changing anytime soon, we should understand that rising gas prices is probably going to be an issue for some time to come. Knowing that, it would be foolish to just kind of hope for a trend in the other direction, closing our eyes to the concept of supply and demand.

There's another reason to push for higher cafe standards. It's because driving more fuel efficient cars frees up additional discretionary dollars for consumer spending which, by itself, pumps (again, no pun intended) more money into OUR economy. You know, jobs, Jobs, JOBS?

yeah...

and then there are some of us that enjoy the comfort of a larger car and not as wrapped up in fuel efficiency.

Too many people put themselves ahead of what is good for the country and the world. Many of these people call themselves patriots.

fucking tyrants are cheering this shit.

Why didn't Bush be this idiotic? B/c he believed [at least a little bit] in the free market.

Each one of these regs makes it harder and harder for competition to move in with another product.

Fucking kool-aide drinkers just made shit worse.

Forum List

Back