Obama a stellar record!!

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
I had the chance to see this Video of this poor state Senator trying to tell Chris Matthews the list of accomplishments of Barack Obama in the State Senate and the best answer he could come up with was " He's inspirational" . Had I known that would get me a job in the US Senate, I would have applied a long time ago. So after watching it a few times, I decided to hit some of his more notable State Senate legislative highlights.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGqauDMD_6o&feature=related[/ame]

* Voted *present* more than 130 times*

*hit the wrong button 6 times, once voting yes on a bill to strip millions from a chid welfare program*

On March 19, 1997, he announced he had fumbled an election-reform vote the day before, on a measure that passed 51 to 6: "I was trying to vote yes on this, and I was recorded as a no," he said. The next day, he acknowledged voting "present" on a key telecommunications vote.

Obama was the lone dissenter on Feb. 24, 2000, against 57 yeas for a ban on human cloning. "I pressed the wrong button by accident," he said.

The measure, pushed by the gambling industry and fought by church groups whose support Obama was seeking, passed with two "yeas" to spare -- including Obama's. Moments after its passage he rose to say, "I'd like to be recorded as a no vote," explaining that he had mistakenly voted for it.
Obama would later develop a reputation as a critic of the gambling industry, and he voted against a similar measure two years later.
(Source LA TIMEs and Chicago Tribune)

*He also opposed letting people use a self-defense argument if charged with violating local handgun bans by using weapons in their homes*

*He voted against requiring medical care for aborted fetuses who survive*

*Voted against the death penalty for gang members*

The list is long and distinguished, perhaps this is why the Senator didn't remember it when asked?

Navy, I respect you but you really need some new talking points.

That's at least the 10th time I've seen the 130 times voted present.

And at least the 5th time for the rest of the stuff.

This has been debated to death already.

"One of McCain's ads casts Obama as "the one," implying he thinks he's the Messiah. Good, maybe he can raise McCain from the dead." - Bill Maher

The list is long and distinguished, perhaps this is why the Senator didn't remember it when asked?

Maybe the Senator is like a lot of other people who aren't really familiar with everything Obama has done. Or it could be these things aren't really important.

Navy, I respect you but you really need some new talking points.

That's at least the 10th time I've seen the 130 times voted present.

And at least the 5th time for the rest of the stuff.

This has been debated to death already.

"One of McCain's ads casts Obama as "the one," implying he thinks he's the Messiah. Good, maybe he can raise McCain from the dead." - Bill Maher

I appreciate that Robert, I would say the same thing of us all? However, I did like the video, and felt it was my duty to help the guy out being the mean old republican I am lol. However, let's not get into a counting games on talking point here shall we? How may times Have I heard McCains too old, or McCains just like Bush, or the continued regurgatation of the same stuff about Sarah Palin ? I will keep my *talking points* to a minimum I swear if you promise to do the same how's that? , but hey was a great video you had to love that deer in the headlights look on that guy if even from a humor point of view

I appreciate that Robert, I would say the same thing of us all? However, I did like the video, and felt it was my duty to help the guy out being the mean old republican I am lol. However, let's not get into a counting games on talking point here shall we? How may times Have I heard McCains too old, or McCains just like Bush, or the continued regurgatation of the same stuff about Sarah Palin ? I will keep my *talking points* to a minimum I swear if you promise to do the same how's that? , but hey was a great video you had to love that deer in the headlights look on that guy if even from a humor point of view

My only points aren't about McCain being too old (I actually haven't brought that point up as a serious thing against him. Though I have made jokes about it). I also don't just make points about McCain being the same as Bush though I do bring it up.

Though btw, the only reason why you hear the same points about Sarah Palin is because she was announced as VP two weeks ago, hasn't given out any interviews or solo appearances, and we don't know that much about her.

When Sarah Palin stops hiding from the media, we'll have more to talk about when it comes to her.

I'm always talking about different points, topics,etc on this board.

My only points aren't about McCain being too old (I actually haven't brought that point up as a serious thing against him. Though I have made jokes about it). I also don't just make points about McCain being the same as Bush though I do bring it up.

Though btw, the only reason why you hear the same points about Sarah Palin is because she was announced as VP two weeks ago, hasn't given out any interviews or solo appearances, and we don't know that much about her.

When Sarah Palin stops hiding from the media, we'll have more to talk about when it comes to her.

You know , If I were the McCain campaign, I would milk this media freenzy over Sarah Palin for all it worth, look at the polls? USA Today Poll for example has McCain up. Honestly, I think as long as the democrats are precieved by the hard right base of my party as being unfair and biased and treating her unfairly, they are playing right into the hands of the McCain campaign. If she hasn't done a thing , she has succeeded in getting that base that was luke warm completely energized. I heard yesterday that her frist interview was going to be with Charlie Gibson if i'm not mistaken.

How about the way he treated his first wife. I mean his divorce wasn't even final when he applied for a wedding license to marry Cindy. Ross Perot who helped pay for Carol's medical bills while McCain was a POW doesn't even have a good view of him anymore.McCain's broken marriage and fractured Reagan friendship - Los Angeles Times
John McCain's First Wife Speaks Out

You know , If I were the McCain campaign, I would milk this media freenzy over Sarah Palin for all it worth, look at the polls? USA Today Poll for example has McCain up. Honestly, I think as long as the democrats are precieved by the hard right base of my party as being unfair and biased and treating her unfairly, they are playing right into the hands of the McCain campaign. If she hasn't done a thing , she has succeeded in getting that base that was luke warm completely energized. I heard yesterday that her frist interview was going to be with Charlie Gibson if i'm not mistaken.

This is what the McCain Campaign was hoping for. The Democrats attack her on the issues and she plays the "victim" card and gains sympathy.

Honestly, she came out swinging against Obama in her few speeches, she shouldnt be treated with kids gloves. If anything, she is setting women back who want to run in the future.

I first mentioned the Charlie Gibson interview on here yesterday. It's Charlie Gibson though, he won't ask her any tough questions. She'll get a couple softball questions in a scripted interview.

This is the same Charlie Gibson who hosted that now infamous ABC debate where they basically went after Barack Obama. Even the crowd was booing him by the time it was over.

This is what the McCain Campaign was hoping for. The Democrats attack her on the issues and she plays the "victim" card and gains sympathy.

Honestly, she came out swinging against Obama in her few speeches, she shouldnt be treated with kids gloves. If anything, she is setting women back who want to run in the future.

I first mentioned the Charlie Gibson interview on here yesterday. It's Charlie Gibson though, he won't ask her any tough questions. She'll get a couple softball questions in a scripted interview.

This is the same Charlie Gibson who hosted that now infamous ABC debate where they basically went after Barack Obama. Even the crowd was booing him by the time it was over.

Of course she should be asked tough questions as should any candidate that runs for high office. I wasn't aware you had posted that yesterday, sorry about that Robert. I did see the debate, but the point is, if you want to be president, you need to be able to handle yourself, and that goes for Palin and Obama and McCain or whoever it is.

How about the way he treated his first wife. I mean his divorce wasn't even final when he applied for a wedding license to marry Cindy. Ross Perot who helped pay for Carol's medical bills while McCain was a POW doesn't even have a good view of him anymore.McCain's broken marriage and fractured Reagan friendship - Los Angeles Times
John McCain's First Wife Speaks Out

Do you or can you even understand the state of mind he was in when he returned? We all have bad days and make the mistakes in our lives... but as for McCain's infidelity and personal actions with his first wife when he returned, he has been thru the explanations of this before... was he the perfect man in his personal life when he returned? Hell no... But his service to his country and the effort he has put into his job in public service is almost unquestioned....

Of course she should be asked tough questions as should any candidate that runs for high office. I wasn't aware you had posted that yesterday, sorry about that Robert. I did see the debate, but the point is, if you want to be president, you need to be able to handle yourself, and that goes for Palin and Obama and McCain or whoever it is.

It's fine if you didn't see it as it was in a certain thread.

I'm sure Obama and Biden can handle themselves, especially Biden who has gone through hell and back.

The man's gone through an car accident, losing his wife and daughter, having other two sons be in an car accident, he's overcome stuttering, two brain aneurysms including one that was leaking, and everything else in between.

I really doubt someone like Sarah Palin or John McCain seem like a threat to the man.

However, I think you can agree with me that Sarah Palin has not even been asked any questions yet, never mind the tough ones. The McCain camp has hid her away, brought out for the convention, hid her away, brought out for joint appearances, and now are going to bring her out for the softball interview then stash her away again.

There's a reason why the McCain campaign doesn't want us to hear this woman unscripted. If it was up to them, they probably wouldn't even have the VP debate because most of America will hear her bat-shit crazy ideas.

Of course, the McCain campaign doesn't want this to be about personality, not issues. (They even stated that) They say the media hasn't show her enough "respect" for her to be out giving interviews yet. Because you know, they asked her about her policies, experience,etc.

The same thing they did for Barack Obama the last eighteen months.

It continues to amaze me how some people try to spin this otherwise.

It's fine if you didn't see it as it was in a certain thread.

I'm sure Obama and Biden can handle themselves, especially Biden who has gone through hell and back.

The man's gone through an car accident, losing his wife and daughter, having other two sons be in an car accident, he's overcome stuttering, two brain aneurysms including one that was leaking, and everything else in between.

I really doubt someone like Sarah Palin or John McCain seem like a threat to the man.

However, I think you can agree with me that Sarah Palin has not even been asked any questions yet, never mind the tough ones. The McCain camp has hid her away, brought out for the convention, hid her away, brought out for joint appearances, and now are going to bring her out for the softball interview then stash her away again.

There's a reason why the McCain campaign doesn't want us to hear this woman unscripted. If it was up to them, they probably wouldn't even have the VP debate because most of America will hear her bat-shit crazy ideas.

Of course, the McCain campaign doesn't want this to be about personality, not issues. (They even stated that) They say the media hasn't show her enough "respect" for her to be out giving interviews yet. Because you know, they asked her about her policies, experience,etc.

The same thing they did for Barack Obama the last eighteen months.

It continues to amaze me how some people try to spin this otherwise.

Well you know what, I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt on that one Robert, because I did happen to catch a little of her debate with the Former gov. of Alaska and she obliterated him. So I am taking a wait and see approach on her skills with the national media, and as I stated earlier think the McCain campaign is playing this one very smart and David Axelrod did our party a huge favor for us by sending in the attack dogs a little too quickly. I'm sure they are going to sit on this for as long as it keep working, and when it plays out she will be on TV so much , it will be time to move on to the next issue of the campaign. I will say this overall about this election, it makes me very happy to see so many young people involved in their government I never thought I would ever see my daughters be interested in anything beyond the normal MTV generation things. I see how they are caught up in this as well and it really makes me proud that people are so energized and filled with passion for our country. It's my hope , no matter who wins this thing , that we can all meet in the middle after this thing is over and do some real good for a change.

Well you know what, I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt on that one Robert, because I did happen to catch a little of her debate with the Former gov. of Alaska and she obliterated him. So I am taking a wait and see approach on her skills with the national media, and as I stated earlier think the McCain campaign is playing this one very smart and David Axelrod did our party a huge favor for us by sending in the attack dogs a little too quickly. I'm sure they are going to sit on this for as long as it keep working, and when it plays out she will be on TV so much , it will be time to move on to the next issue of the campaign. I will say this overall about this election, it makes me very happy to see so many young people involved in their government I never thought I would ever see my daughters be interested in anything beyond the normal MTV generation things. I see how they are caught up in this as well and it really makes me proud that people are so energized and filled with passion for our country. It's my hope , no matter who wins this thing , that we can all meet in the middle after this thing is over and do some real good for a change.

It is great to see the people of my generation age to finally get involved with Politics. Though I think we can both agree and everyone here can agree that is in large part because of Barack Obama.

John McCain has plenty of young supporters but if it's one area where Barack Obama dominates; it's that one.

It is great to see the people of my generation age to finally get involved with Politics. Though I think we can both agree and everyone here can agree that is in large part because of Barack Obama.

John McCain has plenty of young supporters but if it's one area where Barack Obama dominates; it's that one.

On that I will agree with you, my youngest daughter let's me have it daily with both Obama barrels *lol* So debating here is actually calm and relaxing. I will say this though, the man has energized young people to the voting process in a way that no one I have ever seen has done and for that he is to be commended.

On that I will agree with you, my youngest daughter let's me have it daily with both Obama barrels *lol* So debating here is actually calm and relaxing. I will say this though, the man has energized young people to the voting process in a way that no one I have ever seen has done and for that he is to be commended.

Agreed, I think that election day will be interesting with that demographic.

Usually the young people who are 18-25 don't turn out in large numbers. This could be the election to change that and if they are that confident in Barack Obama or even John McCain then they will turn out.

This might sound cheesy, but I like the fact you acknowledge what Obama has done for getting young people to vote and I might add he got minorities to get out and vote. It is pleasant to hear a conservative praise what he has done instead of just attacking him all the time.

Agreed, I think that election day will be interesting with that demographic.

Usually the young people who are 18-25 don't turn out in large numbers. This could be the election to change that and if they are that confident in Barack Obama or even John McCain then they will turn out.

Tell you a little story about that, as a democrat you may like this. My youngest who is 19 and in her first year in college called me during the primary here and needed me to come pick her up , because her and a group of her friends were helping. So I went down to get her and was actually stunned by the number of kids her age down there, they had gotten to register to vote. I'm very proud of her for being involved like this, even though I may not agree with her choice , still it was something to see all these kids with so much passion and energy.

Forum List

Back