Obama 95% illusion

Andrew2382

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2008
One of Barack Obama's most potent campaign claims is that he'll cut taxes for no less than 95% of "working families." He's even promising to cut taxes enough that the government's tax share of GDP will be no more than 18.2% -- which is lower than it is today.

APIt's a clever pitch, because it lets him pose as a middle-class tax cutter while disguising that he's also proposing one of the largest tax increases ever on the other 5%. But how does he conjure this miracle, especially since more than a third of all Americans already pay no income taxes at all? There are several sleights of hand, but the most creative is to redefine the meaning of "tax cut."

For the Obama Democrats, a tax cut is no longer letting you keep more of what you earn. In their lexicon, a tax cut includes tens of billions of dollars in government handouts that are disguised by the phrase "tax credit." Mr. Obama is proposing to create or expand no fewer than seven such credits for individuals:

- A $500 tax credit ($1,000 a couple) to "make work pay" that phases out at income of $75,000 for individuals and $150,000 per couple.

- A $4,000 tax credit for college tuition.

- A 10% mortgage interest tax credit (on top of the existing mortgage interest deduction and other housing subsidies).

- A "savings" tax credit of 50% up to $1,000.

- An expansion of the earned-income tax credit that would allow single workers to receive as much as $555 a year, up from $175 now, and give these workers up to $1,110 if they are paying child support.

- A child care credit of 50% up to $6,000 of expenses a year.

- A "clean car" tax credit of up to $7,000 on the purchase of certain vehicles.

Here's the political catch. All but the clean car credit would be "refundable," which is Washington-speak for the fact that you can receive these checks even if you have no income-tax liability. In other words, they are an income transfer -- a federal check -- from taxpayers to nontaxpayers. Once upon a time we called this "welfare," or in George McGovern's 1972 campaign a "Demogrant." Mr. Obama's genius is to call it a tax cut.

The Tax Foundation estimates that under the Obama plan 63 million Americans, or 44% of all tax filers, would have no income tax liability and most of those would get a check from the IRS each year. The Heritage Foundation's Center for Data Analysis estimates that by 2011, under the Obama plan, an additional 10 million filers would pay zero taxes while cashing checks from the IRS.

The total annual expenditures on refundable "tax credits" would rise over the next 10 years by $647 billion to $1.054 trillion, according to the Tax Policy Center. This means that the tax-credit welfare state would soon cost four times actual cash welfare. By redefining such income payments as "tax credits," the Obama campaign also redefines them away as a tax share of GDP. Presto, the federal tax burden looks much smaller than it really is.

The political left defends "refundability" on grounds that these payments help to offset the payroll tax. And that was at least plausible when the only major refundable credit was the earned-income tax credit. Taken together, however, these tax credit payments would exceed payroll levies for most low-income workers.

It is also true that John McCain proposes a refundable tax credit -- his $5,000 to help individuals buy health insurance. We've written before that we prefer a tax deduction for individual health care, rather than a credit. But the big difference with Mr. Obama is that Mr. McCain's proposal replaces the tax subsidy for employer-sponsored health insurance that individuals don't now receive if they buy on their own. It merely changes the nature of the tax subsidy; it doesn't create a new one.

There's another catch: Because Mr. Obama's tax credits are phased out as incomes rise, they impose a huge "marginal" tax rate increase on low-income workers. The marginal tax rate refers to the rate on the next dollar of income earned. As the nearby chart illustrates, the marginal rate for millions of low- and middle-income workers would spike as they earn more income.

Some families with an income of $40,000 could lose up to 40 cents in vanishing credits for every additional dollar earned from working overtime or taking a new job. As public policy, this is contradictory. The tax credits are sold in the name of "making work pay," but in practice they can be a disincentive to working harder, especially if you're a lower-income couple getting raises of $1,000 or $2,000 a year. One mystery -- among many -- of the McCain campaign is why it has allowed Mr. Obama's 95% illusion to go unanswered.

Obama's 95% Illusion - WSJ.com

"The Tax Foundation estimates that under the Obama plan 63 million Americans, or 44% of all tax filers, would have no income tax liability and most of those would get a check from the IRS each year. The Heritage Foundation's Center for Data Analysis estimates that by 2011, under the Obama plan, an additional 10 million filers would pay zero taxes while cashing checks from the IRS."

Holy cow! Sounds like a welfare State to me.

FWIW I don't mind paying taxes, more taxes than I do now even - but then I was raised to believe it is important to contribute to the community.

I am raising my kids to believe that contributing to a common cause is good, too.

FWIW I don't mind paying taxes, more taxes than I do now even - but then I was raised to believe it is important to contribute to the community.

I am raising my kids to believe that contributing to a common cause is good, too.

And Cons believe the world revolves around them, yet they do talk in complete circles though

Yeah, community service is one thing, taking more money out of the pockets of people who actually work so people who don't pay shit as it is so they get a fatter check is another thing.

but then again, all the sheep hear is 95% and block the rest out

Links at site

TaxProf Blog: Hundreds of Economists Sign Letter Opposing Obama's Tax Plan

October 13, 2008
Hundreds of Economists Sign Letter Opposing Obama's Tax Plan

Hundreds of economists (including Nobel Prize winners Gary Becker, James Buchanan, Robert Mundell, Edward Prescott, and Vernon Smith) have signed letters opposing Barack Obama's economic and tax plans (here, here, and here):

We are equally concerned with his proposals to increase tax rates on labor income and investment. His dividend and capital gains tax increases would reduce investment and cut into the savings of millions of Americans. His proposals to increase income and payroll tax rates would discourage the formation and expansion of small businesses and reduce employment and take-home pay, as would his mandates on firms to provide expensive health insurance.

After hearing such economic criticism of his proposals, Barack Obama has apparently suggested to some people that he might postpone his tax increases, perhaps to 2010. But it is a mistake to think that postponing such tax increases would prevent their harmful effect on the economy today. The prospect of such tax rate increases in 2010 is already a drag on the economy. Businesses considering whether to hire workers today and expand their operations have time horizons longer than a year or two, so the prospect of higher taxes starting in 2009 or 2010 reduces hiring and investment in 2008.

(Hat Tip: Greg Mankiw.)

October 13, 2008 in Political News

would you rather name it

economist who thinks obama plan sucks

It has the name McCain in it, lets ignore it.

I see

Kath.. you cited a BLOG. a BLOG whose sole source is 1) john mccains website and 2) economists voting for mccain. so what. Do you think opinionated blogs are rare? Are polarized economists RARE? Your headline doesn't make the distinction that MCCAIN SUPPORTING ECONOMISTS (shocker) support mccain. Kinda scheisty in it's delivery, don't you think?

Kath.. you cited a BLOG. a BLOG whose sole source is 1) john mccains website and 2) economists voting for mccain. so what. Do you think opinionated blogs are rare? Are polarized economists RARE? Your headline doesn't make the distinction that MCCAIN SUPPORTING ECONOMISTS (shocker) support mccain. Kinda scheisty in it's delivery, don't you think?

So? Did you notice where the dear Prof teaches? What he teaches? Huffington Post is listed here over and over again. Sorry, told you all over 3 years ago that blogs were going to become the norm. They are, often leading the MSM in where they must go.

but you guys were having a circle jerk a few days ago over all the nobel winners that obama has and then when some nobel winners in economics come out for McCain it gets dismissed?

Look, his tax plan has been studied and proven to lower taxes more than Mccains plan for over 90% of working families, this is proven on factcheck.org and other fact check sites.

Look, his tax plan has been studied and proven to lower taxes more than Mccains plan for over 90% of working families, this is proven on factcheck.org and other fact check sites.

FALSE

His tax plan does NOT lower taxes for 95% of people...
His tax plan does not take things like his health care plan into account
His tax plan ignores the reality of higher corporate taxes being passed on to the American public

He is about as snarky and disingenuous as can be in terms of snake-oil selling his tax plan

So? Did you notice where the dear Prof teaches? What he teaches? Huffington Post is listed here over and over again. Sorry, told you all over 3 years ago that blogs were going to become the norm. They are, often leading the MSM in where they must go.

no, blogs really are not any kind of standard source. sorry to have to correct you on that. I don't post links to Huffington Post. Why? Because it's a blog with about as much credibility as, well, www dot economists for mccain.

but you guys were having a circle jerk a few days ago over all the nobel winners that obama has and then when some nobel winners in economics come out for McCain it gets dismissed?

that is not how her source was presented. She said nothing of individual winners of the mobel prize supporting mccain; rather that "hundreds of economists support mccain". which, again, means jack shit. You think I can't drum up 100 economists that support Obama? And, if I filter it through huffington post does that all of a sudden magnify their relevance?

Don't be such a loser bitch, dude.. Acting like a vindictive child won't make your opinion stick.

well maybe if you read the fucking story you would see that

it's called reading

top to bottom, left to right

a group a words make a sentence.

Take Tylenol for any hedaches,midol for any cramps

I mean 95% of americans will pay lower taxes when a third of americans don't pay any taxes at all.

lol, god I love math

no, blogs really are not any kind of standard source. sorry to have to correct you on that. I don't post links to Huffington Post. Why? Because it's a blog with about as much credibility as, well, www dot economists for mccain.

We disagree, I know, a new concept. :D

Actually this is the only illusion here:

$cartoons_041.jpg

Forum List

Back