Obama 47% to McCain 41%

Orange_Juice

Jul 24, 2008
Ha ha! 41%??? Can't win with that number! Damn, that's pretty low!

Obama leads McCain nationally in AP-Ipsos poll - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON - Solid margins among women, minorities and young voters have powered Barack Obama to a 6 percentage point lead over John McCain in the presidential race, according to a poll released Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Obama is ahead of his Republican rival 47 percent to 41 percent, The Associated Press-Ipsos poll showed. The survey was taken after the Democratic senator from Illinois had returned from a trip to Middle Eastern and European capitals, and during a week that saw the two camps clash over which had brought race into a campaign in which Obama is striving to become the first African-American president.

McCain, the senator from Arizona, is leading by 10 points among whites and is even with Obama among men, groups with whom Republicans traditionally do well in national elections.

Obama leads by 13 points among women, by 30 points among voters up to age 34, and by 55 points among blacks, Hispanics and other minorities, the poll shows.

Independent Ralph Nader and Libertarian Bob Barr both won support from less than 5 percent of the registered voters surveyed. When people were asked who they would support if Nader and Barr were not on the ballot, Obama's lead over McCain was virtually unchanged.

The poll showed a huge Democratic advantage when voters ponder which party they would like to see control Congress next year. Democrats were favored over Republicans 53 percent to 35 percent, underscoring the mountainous disadvantage McCain and other GOP candidates are facing in the Nov. 4 voting.

The poll illustrated other ways damage has been inflicted on the Republican brand name as well.

Just 18 percent think the country is moving in the right direction, and only 31 percent approve of the job President Bush is doing. Both readings are a bit better than the record lows in the AP-Ipsos poll that both measures scored in mid-July.

Congressional approval was at 19 percent, just above last month's all-time AP-Ipsos low. Because Congress is almost always widely disliked as an institution and its members come from both parties, that reading is usually a murky measure of whether the majority party — Democrats this year — is in trouble.

The poll was conducted from July 31-Aug. 4 and involved telephone interviews with 1,002 adults, for whom the margin of sampling error was plus or minus 3.1 percentage points. Included were interviews with 833 registered voters, for whom the error margin was plus or minus 3.4 points.

"tsk tsk" three months to go :eusa_whistle:

McCain's number is so low. He is consistently in the low 40's. Can't win like that. He panders so much to Bush's base that he can't expand his numbers. All he can hope for is to Obama to totally bomb. \

*ain't gonna happen*

:badgrin:

Er...Obama's numbers have consistently been right there at or below McCain's, so I guess it works both ways.

Is anybody else completely sick of these stupid meaningless every-90-seconds polls?

Er...Obama's numbers have consistently been right there at or below McCain's, so I guess it works both ways.

Is anybody else completely sick of these stupid meaningless every-90-seconds polls?

Right there? Where did you learn how to count? 47% is 6 more than 41%

:cuckoo:

What's the error margin?
3 points, +/-?

So it's a negligible difference. And it changes from minute to minute.

I historically pooh-pooh the polls. I think they're idiotic.

Though I'm not above using them when it suits me...you lefties get all goofy over them, so they can be an effective tool when it's time to shut you up.

I historically pooh-pooh the polls. I think they're idiotic.

Though I'm not above using them when it suits me...you lefties get all goofy over them, so they can be an effective tool when it's time to shut you up.

Shut you up nicely, too. :tongue:

Well, didn't shut you up but made you stop acting like mccain somehow has a chance at winning.

The Fact is Obama should be Up by a whole bunch, and he is not. I think the race will be very close, and Either candidate could win it.

However I do think the more Obama proves himself to be anything but new, and Franky pretty stupid on many issues, the better chance McCain has, and I think that is really saying something since I do not in any way think McCain is a good or strong candidate.

The Fact is Obama should be Up by a whole bunch, and he is not. I think the race will be very close, and Either candidate could win it.

However I do think the more Obama proves himself to be anything but new, and Franky pretty stupid on many issues, the better chance McCain has, and I think that is really saying something since I do not in any way think McCain is a good or strong candidate.

No. He shouldn't be up by more. There was always going to be an issue about white people voting for a black president in large numbers unless that black president were a conservative like Colin Powell (who probably would have gotten about 90% of the vote).

The fact that McCain, who's been on the scene for so long is struggling and has to resort to stupidity about Britney and Paris speaks far louder about where the country is.

But yes, it's Obama's to lose. If McCain were still the year 2K version, he'd be ahead by 30 points.

Forum List

Back