Obama 2012, Christe or Rubio 2016

RE: It's not that I don't like your posts, it's just that the thousand or so other kiil aid drinkers have already posted them. Oh well.

WillowTree,

What Kool-Aid are you referring to? You think I'm wrong about Obama's relative strength to the potential Republican field in 2012?

From everything I can tell, Chris Christie and Marco Rubio run circles around the GOP 2012 candidates. They're new stars in the Republican Party and I think the most likely prospects to become President in 2016 (there are no bright Democrat stars, except maybe Andrew Cuomo, who's probably too liberal). So my money would be on one of those GOPers to become Prez in 2017. However, the list of potential candidates for the Republican nomination for 2012 outside of those 2 is a laundry list of awful. I can't see any of them really having a decent chance against Obama. Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?
Why worry about 2016? obama isn't going to be re-elected in 2012. Micky mouse could run against him and win.

Didn't we say that about Harry Reid?

Harry bought a lot of votes within a state. State election is differant than national elections.
Theres a lot more fustrated people in America than there are in harry's state.

Nevada has the highest unemployment in the country. I don't think the rest of the country is substantially more frustrated than they are. Problem for the GOP was they ran Mickey Mouse against him.

I don't think Obama will be as weak of a candidate as many of you think. Sure plenty of Republicans will hate him, but there were plenty of Republicans that hated Clinton in 1996. Lots of Democrats despised W. Bush in 2004 and Reagan in 1984. But, your nominees were Kerry, Dole, and Mondale, blech! I'm not suggesting Obama will be as strong as Reagan in '84 or Clinton in '96, but he doesn't have to be. Mickey Mouse should've been able to beat W in 2004, didn't happen. Does anyone have a positive opinion of any of the potential GOP candidates? At this time in previous 4-year cycles both parties had potential candidates they were excited about that ended up becoming President.

John Kasich is pretty strong too. Kasich, Christie, and Rubio are newly elected officials, though Kasich had been in office before. All 3 look like shining stars with great potential in the future. In the meantime the real Republican field for 2012 is a mess (imo). Check out Intrade

Which one is decent?!

Ironically, if GOP does win in 2012, those other potential stars won't get their chance in 2016.

Intrade has the odds at about 57-58% for Obama/Dem, 41-42% for GOP and 1-2% for other in 2012.

Nevada has the highest unemployment in the country. I don't think the rest of the country is substantially more frustrated than they are. Problem for the GOP was they ran Mickey Mouse against him.

I don't think Obama will be as weak of a candidate as many of you think. Sure plenty of Republicans will hate him, but there were plenty of Republicans that hated Clinton in 1996. Lots of Democrats despised W. Bush in 2004 and Reagan in 1984. But, your nominees were Kerry, Dole, and Mondale, blech! I'm not suggesting Obama will be as strong as Reagan in '84 or Clinton in '96, but he doesn't have to be. Mickey Mouse should've been able to beat W in 2004, didn't happen. Does anyone have a positive opinion of any of the potential GOP candidates? At this time in previous 4-year cycles both parties had potential candidates they were excited about that ended up becoming President.

obamas approval rating is a lot lower than Reagans was and Clintons was at the start of their 3rd year in office.

Re: Bigrebnc1775

obamas approval rating is a lot lower than Reagans was and Clintons was at the start of their 3rd year in office.

Please review this:

From January 1982- January 1983, Reagan's average approval rating was 43%
From January 1983- January 1984, Reagan's average approval rating was 45%

Clinton's approval rating the week of Nov 28-29 1994 was 43%

Obama's approval rating is currently 47%.

Last edited:
Please review this:

From January 1982- January 1983, Reagan's average approval rating was 43%
From January 1983- January 1984, Reagan's average approval rating was 45%

Clinton's approval rating the week of Nov 28-29 1994 was 43%

Obama's approval rating is currently 47%.

Link?

Reagan: Annual Job Approval
avg. 49
high 52
low 46
Avg. 53
High 63
low 42

avg. 57
High 59
low 54
ABCNEWS.com : Poll: Reagan's Presidential Ratings
obama just goes down.

Unfortunately I can't post my links. The message board says I haven't posted enough posts to post links yet.

Suffice it to say I didn't make those numbers up. As soon as I can post them I will. They're the Gallup numbers for all 3 Presidents. I'm looking at them right now.

Here's an excerpt from Gallup.com until I can actually post a link:

"By the end of 1981, Reagan's job approval rating had drifted down to 49%.

Things got worse for Reagan in 1982. The public's view of the economy remained sour, and the president's ratings during 1982 stayed concomitantly low, in the 40% range, ending the year at 41%." Gallup.com

Unfortunately I can't post my links. The message board says I haven't posted enough posts to post links yet.

Suffice it to say I didn't make those numbers up. As soon as I can post them I will. They're the Gallup numbers for all 3 Presidents. I'm looking at them right now.

Things got worse for Reagan in 1982. The public's view of the economy remained sour, and the president's ratings during 1982 stayed concomitantly low, in the 40% range, ending the year at 41%." Gallup.com

I understand fine
So my source says your source was incorrect.

1981?

avg 62
high 73
low 52

same link I posted
avg. 49
high 52
low 46
Avg. 53
High 63
low 42

avg. 57
High 59
low 54

I understand fine
So my source says your source was incorrect.

1981?

avg 62
high 73
low 52

same link I posted
avg. 49
high 52
low 46
Avg. 53
High 63
low 42

avg. 57
High 59
low 54

obama doesn't look so good
RealClearPolitics - Election Other - President Obama Job Approval

Wow, somebody's a defensive.

My links are to Gallup's website. They have all of the previous polls and are the standard bearer for polling. I'm not saying there aren't multiple polling sources or that you're crazy or wrong, I'm simply posting links that reflect the approval ratings from Gallup for Reagan, Clinton, and Obama, at the end of their 2nd year in office.

According to Gallup, Obama's is the highest of the 3. Your ABC link differs.

To be frank, I'm not sure how much it matters. Carter and HW Bush had higher ratings than Clinton and Reagan in Gallup too. They both lost.

Wow, somebody's a defensive.

My links are to Gallup's website. They have all of the previous polls and are the standard bearer for polling. I'm not saying there aren't multiple polling sources or that you're crazy or wrong, I'm simply posting links that reflect the approval ratings from Gallup for Reagan, Clinton, and Obama, at the end of their 2nd year in office.

According to Gallup, Obama's is the highest of the 3. Your ABC link differs.

To be frank, I'm not sure how much it matters. Carter and HW Bush had higher ratings than Clinton and Reagan in Gallup too. They both lost.

according to ABC the ratings for Reagan was?

Forum List

Back