Obama 2012, Christe or Rubio 2016

Seriously, who really cares? Why do so many people seem to think the gender or race of a leader is somehow important?

Heck, maybe its time we start remember that the leaders aren't important. We are. We need more people learning how to get up off their ass and working to make changes in their own lives, and by doing so completely revolutionizing the world.
For ALL of our history, America has collectively thought that gender of our leader is important. Otherwise, we would have had more female candidates, and at least one winner.

Unless you believe that women are not as capable.

Such a defeatist view of politics, and the solution to your problem is what? Anyone with a vagina?
What problem?

Assuming Barry boy is a shoe in for '12 is a bit optimistic IMO. Here's the political landscape leading up to that election.

Obama's agenda was completely repudiated just 4 weeks ago. Independents and others abandoned him in droves and his party took an historical beating, not just nationally either. It resonated all the way down to individual state levels where Dimocrats lost 600+ seats to Republicans.

In just two short years all House Dims have to face the voters again, some of whom will be running in redrawn districts thanks to losing all those state legislative seats. So how much incentive does anyone think most of them are going to have for continuing to march in lockstep with Barry between now and then? Not much IMO. They have no desire to be among the next sixty-something to get tossed.

Same goes for the Senate. Twenty-three Dimocrats have to face the voters vs. only nine Republicans.

All of those Dims in both houses are first and foremost political animals and self-preservation is their natural instinct. So they can either stick with the loser or cover their asses to secure their jobs. Thus, Barry won't have anywhere near the support of his party in D.C. in the coming months. They'll marginalize his worthless ass to save their own.

Barry...meet Jimmy. Now go hammer away you two.

Dismissing Obama's chances without a clear alternative is silly. He won by 7.2%, almost 10,000,000 votes, 365 electoral votes to 173 and he lost the Caucasian vote by a wide margin against McCain.

Here's a short list of names being tossed around as possibilities:

Pawlenty
Romney
Thune
Barbour
Huckabee
Palin
Jindal
Gingrich

In my opinion they're all either weak going in or would prove to be weak through the process. I'm sure there's people that disagree, but I'm just giving my opinion. In order for someone to beat an incumbent, they generally have to be really impressive. Again if you think Obama is sunk right now, because of your perception of what people think of him, I'd guess you're wrong without the right candidate. Reagan beat Carter in 1980, but Ted Kennedy had damaged Carter leading up to the election. Carter had a horrible last year in office leading up to the election, and Reagan was a great candidate. HW Bush was beaten by Clinton, but Perot hurt Bush and Clinton was a great candidate. In recent years W Bush and Obama showed obvious signs well before they ran for President that they were up and coming stars that had a really good chance at going as high as they wanted to go. I see potential in Christie and Rubio, not in those others. I will grant, it's much easier to run for office and talk a good game, then to actually govern, lead, and make important decisions once elected.

Unemployment wasn't a problem until the Democrats took over Congress 4 years ago..

In the 6 years under Bush plus GOP Congress, before the recession, government accounted for 30 percent of job growth, under Clinton, it was less than 10 percent

also, what exactly was "conservative" about Medicare Part D, No Child Left Behind, and Sarbanes-Oxley?

not much limited government when Bush/Rove/Hastert/Frist ran Washington

From everything I can tell, Chris Christie and Marco Rubio run circles around the GOP 2012 candidates.

Yup, I'll vote Obama in 2012, and one of these two in 2016 if either is the nominee. Obama's freezing Fed pay, and private sector job growth is getting stronger, especially in relation to its historically bad performance under Bush. No reason to go with yet another dud GOPer like Romney, Jindal, Thune, or the worst, "T Paw" Tim Pawlenty. Pathetic.

lol,You are not bright,The fascist pig hussein obama has almost ruined this nation.

From everything I can tell, Chris Christie and Marco Rubio run circles around the GOP 2012 candidates. They're new stars in the Republican Party and I think the most likely prospects to become President in 2016 (there are no bright Democrat stars, except maybe Andrew Cuomo, who's probably too liberal). So my money would be on one of those GOPers to become Prez in 2017. However, the list of potential candidates for the Republican nomination for 2012 outside of those 2 is a laundry list of awful. I can't see any of them really having a decent chance against Obama. Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?
Why worry about 2016? obama isn't going to be re-elected in 2012. Micky mouse could run against him and win.

Didn't we say that about Harry Reid?

[lol,You are not bright,The fascist pig hussein obama has almost ruined this nation.

and you're out of facts and brain cells, so you're calling Obama a facist

issue here isn't just 2012 or 2016, but specifically why private sector job creation was negative under Bush, why he increased spending 83% compared to just 32% for Clinton, and why the candidate that followed him wanted to spend $400 billion more on massive government entitlements than the left-wing Presidential candidate he ran against

I agree with GOP ideas - at least 90% of new jobs should be in the private sector, government spending should be reduced, government worker unions should be made powerless, ideally they'd be made illegal again

yet under GOP leadership, all we've gotten is more government growth than we have with Democrats, new programs, and job creation centered on the government, the results have been appalling, and small government independents like me are voting Dem for Pres, and GOP for Congress because divided government limits government more than a government united behind big government Republicans like Bush or McCain, and the only Republican prospect for 2012 with any balls is Palin

Assuming the most likely scenario, we have Obama vs Bland Candidate X (Romney, Thune), the election will be decided primarily by Independents in swing states. Tipping point states like Ohio, Florida, Nevada, New Mexico, New Hampshire, Virginia, Colorado, Wisconsin, and potentially Michigan if it's Romney.

The vitriolic feelings toward Obama or the Republican party from partisan voters is almost wholly irrelevant in a general election, especially if you're not from one of those states. The challenge for the Republican Candidate against Obama is he won all of the states I listed above and had a big cushion in electoral votes.

The GOP's candidate would have to come close to running the table in those states. That's a tough ask, unless the candidate is strong or Obama has a really bad election year.

We will have a woman president before we have an Hispanic one.

Seriously, who really cares? Why do so many people seem to think the gender or race of a leader is somehow important?

Heck, maybe its time we start remember that the leaders aren't important. We are. We need more people learning how to get up off their ass and working to make changes in their own lives, and by doing so completely revolutionizing the world.
For ALL of our history, America has collectively thought that gender of our leader is important. Otherwise, we would have had more female candidates, and at least one winner.

Unless you believe that women are not as capable.

Talk about false assumptions.

The reason we havent more female candidates is more of them havent bothered to run.

I think that's likely because women are, in general, smarter than men at knowing their best interests.

I'd rather this thread focus on the 2012 and 2016 Presidential elections, but...

Regarding gender and ethnicity of Presidents, women didn't get the right to vote until 1920. African-Americans weren't treated remotely close to equal until 1964 or so. The progressive movement for equality is moving pretty fast, but we had a long way to go, just a short time ago. It wouldn't baffle me if the 2016 Presidential election had Hillary Clinton vs Marco Rubio. Then we could test this theory of which would be elected first. I don't think WASP Males dictate terms quite as much as they used to.

I'd rather this thread focus on the 2012 and 2016 Presidential elections, but...

Regarding gender and ethnicity of Presidents, women didn't get the right to vote until 1920. African-Americans weren't treated remotely close to equal until 1964 or so. The progressive movement for equality is moving pretty fast, but we had a long way to go, just a short time ago. It wouldn't baffle me if the 2016 Presidential election had Hillary Clinton vs Marco Rubio. Then we could test this theory of which would be elected first. I don't think WASP Males dictate terms quite as much as they used to.

African Americans weren't allowed to vote until 1964? Wow! Who the fuck new.

Assuming the most likely scenario, we have Obama vs Bland Candidate X (Romney, Thune), the election will be decided primarily by Independents in swing states. Tipping point states like Ohio, Florida, Nevada, New Mexico, New Hampshire, Virginia, Colorado, Wisconsin, and potentially Michigan if it's Romney.

The vitriolic feelings toward Obama or the Republican party from partisan voters is almost wholly irrelevant in a general election, especially if you're not from one of those states. The challenge for the Republican Candidate against Obama is he won all of the states I listed above and had a big cushion in electoral votes.

The GOP's candidate would have to come close to running the table in those states. That's a tough ask, unless the candidate is strong or Obama has a really bad election year.

obie wan is strong? Wow! Who the fuck new? :eek:

Willowtree,

I'm responding to other posts. Others went off on a tangent about t he potential for a Hispanic or a Woman to be elected and why it hasn't happened until now. My point was simply our society's views toward equality have changed only recently. Yes African-Americans have had the right to vote for a while, well before 1964, that wasn't my point.

Regarding Obama's relative strength, my point of this thread is to say I don't see a Republican challenger that can give him a run for his money. 2016 looks promising for the GOP, but where's the candidate that can give Obama a challenge in 2012?

I'm new to this board, so maybe you don't like my posts. Oh well...

Willowtree,

I'm responding to other posts. Others went off on a tangent about t he potential for a Hispanic or a Woman to be elected and why it hasn't happened until now. My point was simply our society's views toward equality have changed only recently. Yes African-Americans have had the right to vote for a while, well before 1964, that wasn't my point.

Regarding Obama's relative strength, my point of this thread is to say I don't see a Republican challenger that can give him a run for his money. 2016 looks promising for the GOP, but where's the candidate that can give Obama a challenge in 2012?

I'm new to this board, so maybe you don't like my posts. Oh well...

It's not that I don't like your posts, it's just that the thousand or so other kiil aid drinkers have already posted them. Oh well.

Forum List

Back