Oak Island's Oaks?

The entire show this week was about the Templar legend. Why the Templars would bury their treasure in Nova Scotia in 1400 I don't know, but people are really pushing that theory lately. Even unearthed a lead cross in Smith's Cove that they are trying to tie to the Templar prison in Domme, France. It does look medieval, but it could have been dropped there (or planted) by anyone as recently as October when it was found with a metal detector.

Anyway, I've been thinking about all the religious symbolism carved or built into the island, and I have an idea.
On an old episode of America Unearthed a few years ago, I remember a quick bit about a possible Viking hangout that had been discovered by an explorer. It was a natural cavern deep in the woods, with the opening built up with stacked stone. Inside were carvings on the walls. Scott Wolter looked at it and determined it was a Masonic meeting place. In the early days of the Freemasons (the 1700's) they sometimes met in the woods, far from prying eyes, due to the secret nature of their meetings.
And don't think just because NS didn't have a large population in the 1700's that there weren't Masons around. Our shire town had a Masonic Lodge active 15 years after it's first settlement. Before there was a public school, there was a Masonic Lodge. It was never much more than a lumber mill town with a decent deep water harbor, but they were here anyway.

So they could have definitely been meeting on Oak Island for its convenience to shore but also as an island, with some privacy. The Masons use a LOT of the same ancient symbology as the Templars. It could explain a lot of the carved stone, anyway. I don't know about the Money Pit.
all i can think of here is the tie into the lead cross figure and maybe there's more templar stuff coming. but to devote all last night to templars? interesting, but i was hoping we could bring up another hinge or purple wood. :)

the show itself can be frustrating but i'm hooked. 15 years or more ago i read the readers digest story on it and loved it when the author was brought out to the island not too long ago. but seeing the history of the templars in a way i can relate to like this has been amazing. i've learned a lot but still don't know much at all. go figure.

all i can think of is they did an entire show on templars because it's about to get important. that or it's dull as hell and they needed a filler. :)

want to know what broke the teeth off the rotating drill though. that was nasty.

The entire show this week was about the Templar legend. Why the Templars would bury their treasure in Nova Scotia in 1400 I don't know, but people are really pushing that theory lately. Even unearthed a lead cross in Smith's Cove that they are trying to tie to the Templar prison in Domme, France. It does look medieval, but it could have been dropped there (or planted) by anyone as recently as October when it was found with a metal detector.

Anyway, I've been thinking about all the religious symbolism carved or built into the island, and I have an idea.
On an old episode of America Unearthed a few years ago, I remember a quick bit about a possible Viking hangout that had been discovered by an explorer. It was a natural cavern deep in the woods, with the opening built up with stacked stone. Inside were carvings on the walls. Scott Wolter looked at it and determined it was a Masonic meeting place. In the early days of the Freemasons (the 1700's) they sometimes met in the woods, far from prying eyes, due to the secret nature of their meetings.
And don't think just because NS didn't have a large population in the 1700's that there weren't Masons around. Our shire town had a Masonic Lodge active 15 years after it's first settlement. Before there was a public school, there was a Masonic Lodge. It was never much more than a lumber mill town with a decent deep water harbor, but they were here anyway.

So they could have definitely been meeting on Oak Island for its convenience to shore but also as an island, with some privacy. The Masons use a LOT of the same ancient symbology as the Templars. It could explain a lot of the carved stone, anyway. I don't know about the Money Pit.
all i can think of here is the tie into the lead cross figure and maybe there's more templar stuff coming. but to devote all last night to templars? interesting, but i was hoping we could bring up another hinge or purple wood. :)

the show itself can be frustrating but i'm hooked. 15 years or more ago i read the readers digest story on it and loved it when the author was brought out to the island not too long ago. but seeing the history of the templars in a way i can relate to like this has been amazing. i've learned a lot but still don't know much at all. go figure.

all i can think of is they did an entire show on templars because it's about to get important. that or it's dull as hell and they needed a filler. :)

want to know what broke the teeth off the rotating drill though. that was nasty.
That purple wood, along with the parchment and book binding, is a pretty strong indication that there was some kind of important book on the island at some point, but that's all it tells me. People didn't usually throw books like that away. I suppose it could have been British military which would fit with other stuff they've found. But how it got left behind?
I just love wondering about stuff like this. In my next life, I want to be an archeologist, even though it will mean learning foreign languages.

That purple wood, along with the parchment and book binding, is a pretty strong indication that there was some kind of important book on the island at some point, but that's all it tells me. People didn't usually throw books like that away. I suppose it could have been British military which would fit with other stuff they've found. But how it got left behind?
I just love wondering about stuff like this. In my next life, I want to be an archeologist, even though it will mean learning foreign languages.
i've been fascinated with this show since it started. i hate to to think of the millions upon million of dollars they've spent to keep digging this hole and looking for answers for what could be under there. the lady they bring in to show this stuff to certainly knows her history and has been incredible to learn from also.

slow going but you can't really write this stuff up and go by a script. what they find, they find. but yea, hearing how the color purple was a huge indicator of something important was cool. more history on the cross figure was also interesting.

just wonder how much they're tearing up just to get to it but i can't think of another way to get down there.

i've been fascinated with this show since it started. i hate to to think of the millions upon million of dollars they've spent to keep digging this hole and looking for answers for what could be under there. the lady they bring in to show this stuff to certainly knows her history and has been incredible to learn from also.

slow going but you can't really write this stuff up and go by a script. what they find, they find. but yea, hearing how the color purple was a huge indicator of something important was cool. more history on the cross figure was also interesting.

just wonder how much they're tearing up just to get to it but i can't think of another way to get down there.
If you hear/read anything about the trees, let us know.

If you hear/read anything about the trees, let us know.
i was trying to catch up to that conversation - i'll see what i can find. to boil the question down, are we wondering about native oak trees there, or the special ones you were referring to?

i still think the swamp is hiding the most. :)

This is the video I warned against for inaccuracies in my OP. It does have good pics, but the "scientific" explanation of what they are is totally made up, possibly to justify his ancient Phoenician theory. It's true they look like trees on the Serengeti, but this is Nova Scotia. Mite colder here--would they survive? If we knew what their REAL name was, it would be helpful; then we could look it up.

Well, The Curse of Oak Island is over for the season. They found a 2-3 karat garnet set in cheap silver that style-wise a gemologist said was 400 or more years old. They found it in the same field where they had found a fancy, hand-made lock plate (the metal surrounding a keyhole) which they are imagining was on a "treasure chest," not a lowly farmer-type item. The garnet is no great shakes, though. To me, it looks more like the decorative handle tip of a dagger or sword than a woman's brooch, but I'm wrong all the time, and either way it's nowhere near the Money Pit. It's one of Fred Nolan's old spots. He was a searcher who didn't go for the "pit" theory, but explored clues on land and directly beneath the surface.

Next season they are going to excavate Smith's Cove to explore the old salt works firing pit (at least that's what I think it is) which they are pretending is a big mystery.

The latest hole they drilled got stopped at 77 feet by a nasty granite boulder the drill won't go through. For three weeks they teased us on, saying they thought it was a steel plate (so naturally it must be the top of Chappel vault). Nope. Mother Nature strikes again.

There is definitely evidence that folks were on the island in the 1600's (coins, human bones) and now stakes discovered in the swamp which were dated to the late 1500-mid 1600's, as well. There were people there doing stuff, and doing quite a bit of something in the swamp area, during that time, but WHAT they were doing is the question. Setting to with a bulldozer and excavator is NOT going to give us answers. They need to slow down; I wonder if any REAL archaeologists would like to get involved and do this thing right.

We'll have to wait til next year.

If somebody ran a business like the Oak Island treasure guys they would have been broke in a season. Does the media support the facade? Another issue I have a problem with is the alleged curse. Where does it say another person has to die?

If somebody ran a business like the Oak Island treasure guys they would have been broke in a season. Does the media support the facade? Another issue I have a problem with is the alleged curse. Where does it say another person has to die?
I'm sure the History Channel pays them, don't you think? It's probably worth a lot more as advertising though--I'll bet they've had plenty of folks wanting to invest.

Apparently, the same place where it says the non-native oaks were planted there to mark the island as "The Spot."
It's folk lore, legend, what people around there say, I'm pretty sure.

One of the LaGina brothers is apparently sponsoring a new treasure hunt for alleged "confederate gold". Are these guys flush with money or are they stooges for the History channel.

Forum List

Back