"O-Care Premiums to Skyrocket"?

Oh yeah! Everyone's premiums will double. Some will triple. It's coming! It's coming!

Meaning you don't have any use for the truth.

LL you are a puke and no more.

OK, chief. I'm a puke and you are a know it all who consistently fails to demonstrate knowledge. Good stuff.

LOL, I've beaten your ass and every ACA pukes ass who has come along.

EVERYTHING I've predicted has come true.

You've shown no knowledge of anything kid.

I noticed a few things in that article:

1. It looks like an overall increase of 7.5% at this point. Did wages rise 7.5% this year? Seems like that will be a problem.

2. Many of the states didn't report yet (27). That percentage rise is very likely going to go up.

3. California is shown as 0% on the chart, yet the details under the chart indicate a 4.2% weighted average increase.

4. BCBS looks to increase 9%. Do you think they are pricing themselves out of the market? Doubtful.

7.5% is a hefty increase. Still less than the increases we saw each year leading up to the passage of the ACA. You can bitch about it....but your bitch has nothing to do with the law. The law has ameliorated the problem somewhat.

Well except for the fact they were never supposed to go up at all. They were supposed to go down. Funny how you seem to keep forgetting that.

1. It looks like an overall increase of 7.5% at this point. Did wages rise 7.5% this year? Seems like that will be a problem.

2. Many of the states didn't report yet (27). That percentage rise is very likely going to go up.

3. California is shown as 0% on the chart, yet the details under the chart indicate a 4.2% weighted average increase.

4. BCBS looks to increase 9%. Do you think they are pricing themselves out of the market? Doubtful.

7.5% is a hefty increase. Still less than the increases we saw each year leading up to the passage of the ACA. You can bitch about it....but your bitch has nothing to do with the law. The law has ameliorated the problem somewhat.

That's because you are confusing two types of insurance.

There is employer insurance, and private insurance.

There's a difference between them in how the ACA regulates them. Private insurance policies are governed by strict pre-defined plans, outlined by the government.

Employers on the other hand, can negotiate for higher deductibles, and co-pays.

This has created a massive rift between the two. If you look exclusively at employer plans, the price increase hasn't been all that much out of line with the typical rise in premium prices.

However, if you had read the article posted, it said this is because they have raised co-pays, deductibles, and office visit costs.

Large employers moving en masse to high deductibles | Physicians for a National Health Program

Almost half of all employers were moving to a high deductible plan.

So while the prior claim was accurate, that employer plan premiums are not increasing that much more than the average, that ignores the fact that those plans cover less, with higher deductibles co-pays and fees.

On the other hand, private insurance has gone crazy with cost. Insurance companies can't offer limited high deductible plans, like they used to. Instead they must fit their plans within a pre-defined framework.

While this seems like a brilliant idea to the left, it's a terrible idea in practice, because it is exactly that flexibility that allows low cost plans to exist.

I've said this a dozen times, and I'll keep repeating it until this debate is over. Back in 2006, I got a private insurance policy that was only $67 a month.

Today, no such policies are available. I was looking early this year, and the lowest priced policy I could get was over $250 a month.

Now, while the left might chirp "you are getting better insurance though!"... doesn't matter how good it is, if I can't afford it, does it?

I might be getting a better car if I buy a BMW X3, but if I can't afford it, and they repo the car, doesn't matter how much better it was, does it?

No insurance for me. I'll just pay the fee at the end of the year, and if I end up hospitalized, you all can pay for it.

Not my fault. I could afford insurance before you all screwed it up for me.

Well except for the fact they were never supposed to go up at all. They were supposed to go down. Funny how you seem to keep forgetting that.

Nope. That is a fabrication on your part.

The reason for the law was to insure more people. All I see is it insured a different group, while removing another. The second purpose was to make it more affordable. On that goal it is out pacing wage rates, so that fails too. Most likely the pros at BCBS are right and the increase will end up near 9% for everyone. Go ahead, actually implement the WHOLE LAW, penalities and all. See what Americans think then. By the way, delaying all of those penalties just encourages people to stay out of the market longer.

Nope. That is a fabrication on your part.

Nope that was a fabrication by your savior along with the 'everyone will be able to get coverage'. Then he doubled down with the 3000% and a raise BS. And you are aware of it which proves you are full of shit.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66bgpRRSDD4]Obama Promises To Lower Health Insurance Premiums by $2,500 Per Year - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUd-slJc-GY]Obama: Premiums Will Decrease 3000% So You Should Get A Raise When H'care Is Passed - YouTube[/ame]

Meaning you don't have any use for the truth.

LL you are a puke and no more.

OK, chief. I'm a puke and you are a know it all who consistently fails to demonstrate knowledge. Good stuff.

LOL, I've beaten your ass and every ACA pukes ass who has come along.

EVERYTHING I've predicted has come true.

You've shown no knowledge of anything kid.

Same. I made predictions back in 2008, that if it passed, rates would all jack up, and people would lose their insurance for sure.

Everything I thought would happen, has happened almost.... almost exactly like I thought it would.

it is not entirely the business model driving up the cost of HC.

As long as HC continues to get better and more technologically complex , too, the aggregate cost of HC (thus YOUR premiums) will continue to rise.

I don't tell you this as some apology for ACA, since I have never thought ACA was a good idea.

I merely point this out because some of you actually care about the facts more than your silly partisan egos.

In your grandfathers day, Dhealth care professionals used to be the poorest paid professions in America.

Now?

Well now that medicine actually works, the cost is rising because you know

WhatEVER the market will bear.

The market wouldn't bear doubling of premiums if the government wasn't there forcing people to buy insurance to cover things they neither need or want. That makes your post an outright defense of Obamacare despite your attempt to blame it on the market.

Wait a minute - I thought that the Right's argument is that competition keeps prices down? That if you charge too much another company will enter the market to offer a better price?

Wait a minute - I thought that the Right's argument is that competition keeps prices down? That if you charge too much another company will enter the market to offer a better price?

Please point out where Obamacare created more choices. Just what new companies are offering health insurance coverage these days? LINK

Please point out where Obamacare created more choices. Just what new companies are offering health insurance coverage these days? LINK
Not only did Obama deliberately create ogliopolies some parts of the country ended up with no coverage. That may have been remedied by now but this is still amateur hour.

Not only did Obama deliberately create ogliopolies some parts of the country ended up with no coverage. That may have been remedied by now but this is still amateur hour.

This is stuff right here, is why right-wingers hate me.

I'm not going to blame Obama for something he didn't intend. He did not intentionally try and create ogliopolies.

That is simply the natural result of regulation. Regulations always benefit the biggest companies, at the expensive of the smaller companies.

It's just inherent. All regulations cost money in order to comply with them. It's just natural.

As a result, these overhead, regulatory costs, naturally benefit the biggest companies, because they are the ones that have the money to spend to meet the regulation.

That's why all the big massive auto company CEOs were all at the Obama signing the new CAFE standards. But but that regulation is going to cost the big auto companies money!!!......

Yeah, but they have the money. It's the smaller little auto companies that will be shut out of the market by CAFE. Not Ford or Toyota, and they know that. That's why they want more regulations. It benefits them, by reducing competition.

Same with health insurance. But Obama didn't 'intend' to create ogliopolies. Obama is not horrible individual. He is just pushing bad policy. That's all. We have enough to blame him for, without making up crap like Left-wingers do all the time.

Last edited:

O-Care premiums to skyrocket | TheHill

Health industry officials say ObamaCare-related premiums will double in some parts of the country, countering claims recently made by the administration.

The expected rate hikes will be announced in the coming months amid an intense election year, when control of the Senate is up for grabs. The sticker shock would likely bolster the GOP’s prospects in November and hamper ObamaCare insurance enrollment efforts in 2015.

The industry complaints come less than a week after Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Kathleen Sebelius sought to downplay concerns about rising premiums in the healthcare sector. She told lawmakers rates would increase in 2015 but grow more slowly than in the past.

“The increases are far less significant than what they were prior to the Affordable Care Act,” the secretary said in testimony before the House Ways and Means Committee.

Her comment baffled insurance officials, who said it runs counter to the industry’s consensus about next year.

“It’s pretty shortsighted because I think everybody knows that the way the exchange has rolled out … is going to lead to higher costs,” said one senior insurance executive who requested anonymity.

Here we go.

We'll see, huh?

Oh, "health industry officials". Who would that be exactly? Oh, it is "one senior insurance executive who requested anonymity".

Wow, there's some powerful, indepth reporting there....

Again... You say that as if, we can't trust what someone who actually works in the health care sector says. That assumes it's even plausible they are wrong.

This is what aggravates me. You should be able to figure out that this health care policy will drive up premiums, without anyone anywhere saying anything.

No pre-existing conditions. So I refuse to buy health insurance. Go and stuff myself with two chocolate cakes while laying on couch watching biggest loser. End up with diabetes. Sign up for health insurance which can't be refused, and start collecting thousands of dollars every month in diabetes treatment.

Who pays for that? *YOU*. The insurance company has no choice but to pass that cost onto all the premium payers.

This doesn't take a Ph.D, or a calculator, to figure out. Why is it the morons on the left, are so oblivious? It's been almost 100 years since the phrase "there is no free lunch", and yet we have an entire party of political morons promoting it.

[QUOTE="Synthaholic, post: 9582463, member: 24278"]Wait a minute - I thought that the Right's argument is that competition keeps prices down? That if you charge too much another company will enter the market to offer a better price?[/QUOTE]

I thought I answered this before, but I don't see my answer. So if this is a duplicate, my fault.

Our answer is not "competition" lowers prices. Our answer is Free-market Capitalism, lowers prices. There is a difference.

You can't just force "competition". You have to allow people to compete with each other in a free market. Government has prevented this, by dictated who kind of insurance can be offered.

Imagine if the government dictated what type of car, car companies could build. So you can buy a car from any car company you want, but every car company, must make a Geo Metro. So you can buy a Ford Geo Metro, or Toyota Geo Metro, or Honda Geo Metro, or Geo Metro from GM.

Is there going to be a ton of competition? Nope. Why? Because government dictated what the care has and done. The car companies have no control. They can't change the Engine, the Features, and so on. How do they make the product cheaper? How do the add features to increase values, when government dictates what the features are? At least with a car, maybe the car companies would have the freedom to choose different paint colors.

What do you think an insurance company can do?

The key ways insurance companies can compete, is by differing their insurance products. Different deductibles. Different co-pays. Different coverages.

But government has swept all that away. By forcing insurance companies into strict pre-defined plans, they are unable to create differing products. Thus there is no real competition.

O-Care premiums to skyrocket | TheHill

Health industry officials say ObamaCare-related premiums will double in some parts of the country, countering claims recently made by the administration.

Yeah, that hasn't happened.

Oh goodness yes it has. Back in 2006, I had a catastrophic coverage policy, that cost $67 a month. Today, the cheapest I could find, was $250 a month. Absolutely it has more than doubled. No question about it.

Oh goodness yes it has. Back in 2006, I had a catastrophic coverage policy, that cost $67 a month. Today, the cheapest I could find, was $250 a month. Absolutely it has more than doubled. No question about it.

The OP is about 2015 premiums relative to 2014 premiums; the average premium increase percentage has turned out to be single digits (certainly not 100%+).

Whether a lower actuarial value plan (what, 40%? 50%?) was cheaper nearly a decade ago than a higher actuarial value plan is now isn't a particularly interesting question, as the answer should be pretty obvious.

Forum List

Back