NZ Sentences Man To 4 Months In Jail For Posting Nude Pic Of His Ex

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
A jilted lover has made legal history by being jailed for posting a photograph of his ex-girlfriend naked for millions of Facebook users to see.

After 12 hours, police and Facebook authorities shut down the woman's account but not before it was available to all 500 million active users of the social network.

Joshua Simon Ashby, 20, held a piece of paper over his face yesterday in an attempt to prevent The Dominion Post photographing him as he was being sentenced.

Judge Andrew Becroft, in Wellington District Court, allowed Ashby's photo to be taken, saying "there was a certain symmetry to it", then stepped in to tell Ashby not to hide his face.

Ashby posted the photo in an "irresponsible drunken jealous rage" after the breakup of their five-month relationship, the judge said.

It is believed to be the first time someone has been sentenced for a crime committed using social media under the seldom-used morality and decency section of the Crimes Act.

Ashby's parents, Michael and Lisa, hope the jail term will deter others from the "dark side" of Facebook.

The Island Bay painter was jailed for four months after pleading guilty to a charge of distributing indecent matter and six others of threatening to kill, wilful damage, theft of the woman's clothes, and assault.

He had included in text messages to her on July 23: "I'm going to kill you" and "Dead bitch". He then posted a photograph he had of her naked in front of a mirror to her Facebook page. Initially, 218 of her friends had access to it, but Ashby then made it publicly available and changed her password. Her friends saw the photo and texted her to tell her.

Judge Becroft said he was adapting an old print law for the internet age. "Technology can't be used in this way," he warned. "You would do incalculable damage to someone's reputation."

Mr and Mrs Ashby told The Dominion Post they supported their son fully, but the sentence was "excellent" work by the judge.

Naked photo sends jilted lover to jail | Stuff.co.nz

4341193.jpg

My guess is, we will soon be seeing the very same type of sentences handed out here in the US. I say good on New Zealand.

Your thoughts?

My thoughts are don't let people you don't trust implicitly have access to naked pictures of you, and don't let ANYONE have access to your social site. NO ONE should go to jail for posting such pictures if they have them. That's not a criminal act.

deterrence factor is good. I don't think we would see that here, as we don't give sentences like that for assault with a knife.

NO ONE should go to jail for posting such pictures if they have them. That's not a criminal act.
Conjob, always the defender of women and womens rights has spoken. :cuckoo:

Indeed I have. Is it lowdown to post naked pictures? Of course it is, and the man should be liable in CIVIL court, but criminal? No, well unless of course he hacked Facebook to gain access to the woman's account. That is different. But IF the woman gave him the pictures and gave him access to her account, there is no crime.

NO ONE should go to jail for posting such pictures if they have them. That's not a criminal act.
Conjob, always the defender of women and womens rights has spoken. :cuckoo:

Indeed I have. Is it lowdown to post naked pictures? Of course it is, and the man should be liable in CIVIL court, but criminal? No, well unless of course he hacked Facebook to gain access to the woman's account. That is different. But IF the woman gave him the pictures and gave him access to her account, there is no crime.

I agree... the girl should've thought of that before sending .... eeerrrrr.... sexting her pic to the dirtbag.

Girls take note.... you dont want anyone to see your bootilicious body... dont post pics!

Simple

Last edited:
If it was my daughter he posted a nude photo of on Facebook, he would rather be in jail then in my presence.

No doubt no doubt, of course I would also kick her in the ass for giving him such pictures to begin with.

If it was my daughter he posted a nude photo of on Facebook, he would rather be in jail then in my presence.

No doubt no doubt, of course I would also kick her in the ass for giving him such pictures to begin with.

Agree on all counts here....

He would only be wishing for jail.

Of course my lil angels would never think of doing such a thing :eusa_eh:

Anyone who allows someone to take naked pics of them should EXPECT those photos to be used for revenge when the affair is over. Guys can be douches and girls can be pretty effin dumb sometimes.

A jilted lover has made legal history by being jailed for posting a photograph of his ex-girlfriend naked for millions of Facebook users to see.

After 12 hours, police and Facebook authorities shut down the woman's account but not before it was available to all 500 million active users of the social network.

Joshua Simon Ashby, 20, held a piece of paper over his face yesterday in an attempt to prevent The Dominion Post photographing him as he was being sentenced.

Judge Andrew Becroft, in Wellington District Court, allowed Ashby's photo to be taken, saying "there was a certain symmetry to it", then stepped in to tell Ashby not to hide his face.

Ashby posted the photo in an "irresponsible drunken jealous rage" after the breakup of their five-month relationship, the judge said.

It is believed to be the first time someone has been sentenced for a crime committed using social media under the seldom-used morality and decency section of the Crimes Act.

Ashby's parents, Michael and Lisa, hope the jail term will deter others from the "dark side" of Facebook.

The Island Bay painter was jailed for four months after pleading guilty to a charge of distributing indecent matter and six others of threatening to kill, wilful damage, theft of the woman's clothes, and assault.

He had included in text messages to her on July 23: "I'm going to kill you" and "Dead bitch". He then posted a photograph he had of her naked in front of a mirror to her Facebook page. Initially, 218 of her friends had access to it, but Ashby then made it publicly available and changed her password. Her friends saw the photo and texted her to tell her.

Judge Becroft said he was adapting an old print law for the internet age. "Technology can't be used in this way," he warned. "You would do incalculable damage to someone's reputation."

Mr and Mrs Ashby told The Dominion Post they supported their son fully, but the sentence was "excellent" work by the judge.
Naked photo sends jilted lover to jail | Stuff.co.nz

4341193.jpg

My guess is, we will soon be seeing the very same type of sentences handed out here in the US. I say good on New Zealand.

Your thoughts?
Sentences are traditionally light in New Zealand, there have been cases where murderers get out in 20 years or less. I am not sure what the story is behind this case but it could result in 4 months home detention rather than a straight out prison sentence, and the sentence regardless of whether it is a prison sentence or not could be reduced on grounds of good behavior. So I see nothing wrong with it, especially since the woman was demeaned and shamed by the nude pictures, like anyone would be if a nude picture of themselves was posted on the net and exposed to friends and family.

Last edited:
The fact that he posted it on her account and then changed her password so she couldn't access it, should have been enough to make his action illegal.

On the other hand, I would think you could easily make the argument that he put her in possible danger from perverts or other disturbed individuals. You use your real names on FB which would make it easier for some nut to track her down.

There ARE aggravating facts here that won't always be available, but IMO, posting a nude of anyone other than yourself should require that person's written permission, and such permission should not be valid as to anyone who image was taken when they were under 18. I'm sure boys do this to girls more'n any other fact pattern, but I don't much care who is involved.....this is wrong and it should be illegal.

Good for New Zealand.

It's assinine to post private messages or pictures in a public forum. It should be illegal.

The fact that he posted it on her account and then changed her password so she couldn't access it, should have been enough to make his action illegal.

On the other hand, I would think you could easily make the argument that he put her in possible danger from perverts or other disturbed individuals. You use your real names on FB which would make it easier for some nut to track her down.

Did she give him her password and such to begin with?

Forum List

Back