NYT's breaking news re Taliban top man captured!

Merely through affiliation with Pakistan's JUI party; the Taliban still continues to be the same Sunni political movement it was in the late 90's, led by the same individual (one eyed) Mullah Omar, the de facto leader.

:) I wasn't sure if you were trying to tell me that the Taliban utilized geo-related titles, as part of their hierarchy protocol.

Glad they caught him, some interesting questions raised about to avoid having to face questions regarding criminal/combatant:

Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion: Taliban Second-In-Command Captured, Now What?

...According the The Times' report, Baradar is being interrogated by both Pakistanis and Americans. If that is true, that is more good news.

We'll see how this plays out. But it does raise the question of how far the interrogation will go.

Did the U.S. deliberately not take possession of Baladar so as to avoid the now-thorny issue of Baradar's right to counsel and to remain silent?

And if so, what does that say about our policies regarding people, such as the failed Detroit airplane bomber, who are in our possession?

Update: Mullah Baradar reportedly "was a close associate of Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden before the September 11, 2001 attacks." If there were a desire to do so, he could have been and still could be treated as others who assisted al-Qaeda prior to 9/11 and who are in custody at Gitmo.

Newsweek ran a lengthy profile of Baradar last July, calling him America's New Nightmare.

Chaulk one up for the good guys

Good to see that cooperation with pakistan is resulting in more terrorists being killed and captured

Not easy being a terrorist these days

Good Capture! I say we lock him in a cell with a pig until he talks!

Ok. A couple of related thoughts.

1. The President gets some deserved credit here, for it is happening on his watch and the operations are coming under his term as Commander in Chief. Our ongoing presence in Afghanistan is also a decision the President has made and in fact ramped up. I'd certainly assign blame to the man if because of his policies we were fucking up some important military possibilities (assuming we learned of them). So it seems at least fair to grant him his props when because of some choices he has made, we have some GOOD news.

2. As to how important this one is and what we ought to do with Baradar, let me put it in the form of a hypothetical:

If we had the chance TONIGHT to either capture Osama bin Laden alive OR to kill him summarily on sight, I would opt for the capture. Personally, I'd LOVE to extract from him every damn scrap of military intel we could scrape from his hide. Killing him would NOT (imho) put an end to al qaeda or Islamo-jihadist terrorism. So just outright killing the bastard would NOT serve our longer term interests. It would be far more fruitful to get as much intel out of bin Laden as we possibly could (waterboarding, chemical infusions into his diseased bloodstream, whatever).

I mention this because it seems to me that the value of Baradar is NOT in offing the fucking pigdog. The value in his capture also lies in the information we might be able to extract from his worthless hide.

Well let me explain something to you. First of all if Baradar knows where Bin laden is then Bin laden knows Baradar has been captured. What does this mean? It means Bin laden has already abandoned every single location that Baradar knew about. These guys aren't idiots no matter what Joe Biden says on the Sunday morning talk show circuit. They aren't on the run, holed up in isolated enclaves. They are STILL a very dangerous operational terrorist group bent on attacking the USA. Bin laden will more than likely kill himself before being captured. He reportedly wears a suicide vest 24/7.

Maybe yes. Maybe no. But if Baradar was as close to bin Laden and al qaeda as some reports suggest, then he may very well have information on what those pigfuckers were planning on targetting next. I'd like for our side to get that information. And if bin Laden then determines that he must abandon those specific plans, that's fine, too. Jerking his strings is also a good thing.

I suspect that Baradar wasn't expecting to be captured alive, either.

Probably KSM wasn't planning on that one, either, for that matter. And yet, "we" got KSM and now we have Baradar.

The NY Times is reporting in a breaking news release that somewhere in Karachi the Taliban's top guy has been captured (possibly a day or three ago).

The "top Taliban military commander," Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar is in our hands!

Bravo to our forces and kudos to President Obama!

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Mullah Muhammad Omar is the Taliban's top guy.

Take your dispute up with The NY Times.

The NY Times is reporting in a breaking news release that somewhere in Karachi the Taliban's top guy has been captured (possibly a day or three ago).

The "top Taliban military commander," Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar is in our hands!

meh. omar founded it, the guy they caught was only 2nd in official rank, but made all the top level decisions.

thats in Afghanistan, not Pakistan
hint: Karachi is in Pakistan

Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, the No. 2 behind Afghan Taliban founder Mullah Mohammad Omar and a close associate of Osama bin Laden, was captured in the southern Pakistani port city of Karachi,

Nunz is correct.

Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, the No. 2 behind Afghan Taliban founder Mullah Mohammad Omar and a close associate of Osama bin Laden, was captured in the southern Pakistani port city of Karachi,

Nunz is correct.

Yes and no.

Baradar is the no. 1 military guy in the Taliban. But he reports to Mullah Omar who is the nominal head of the Taliwhackers.

Ok. A couple of related thoughts.

1. The President gets some deserved credit here, for it is happening on his watch and the operations are coming under his term as Commander in Chief. Our ongoing presence in Afghanistan is also a decision the President has made and in fact ramped up. I'd certainly assign blame to the man if because of his policies we were fucking up some important military possibilities (assuming we learned of them). So it seems at least fair to grant him his props when because of some choices he has made, we have some GOOD news.

2. As to how important this one is and what we ought to do with Baradar, let me put it in the form of a hypothetical:

If we had the chance TONIGHT to either capture Osama bin Laden alive OR to kill him summarily on sight, I would opt for the capture. Personally, I'd LOVE to extract from him every damn scrap of military intel we could scrape from his hide. Killing him would NOT (imho) put an end to al qaeda or Islamo-jihadist terrorism. So just outright killing the bastard would NOT serve our longer term interests. It would be far more fruitful to get as much intel out of bin Laden as we possibly could (waterboarding, chemical infusions into his diseased bloodstream, whatever).

I mention this because it seems to me that the value of Baradar is NOT in offing the fucking pigdog. The value in his capture also lies in the information we might be able to extract from his worthless hide.

Well let me explain something to you. First of all if Baradar knows where Bin laden is then Bin laden knows Baradar has been captured. What does this mean? It means Bin laden has already abandoned every single location that Baradar knew about. These guys aren't idiots no matter what Joe Biden says on the Sunday morning talk show circuit. They aren't on the run, holed up in isolated enclaves. They are STILL a very dangerous operational terrorist group bent on attacking the USA. Bin laden will more than likely kill himself before being captured. He reportedly wears a suicide vest 24/7.

Maybe yes. Maybe no. But if Baradar was as close to bin Laden and al qaeda as some reports suggest, then he may very well have information on what those pigfuckers were planning on targetting next. I'd like for our side to get that information. And if bin Laden then determines that he must abandon those specific plans, that's fine, too. Jerking his strings is also a good thing.

I suspect that Baradar wasn't expecting to be captured alive, either.

Probably KSM wasn't planning on that one, either, for that matter. And yet, "we" got KSM and now we have Baradar.

Please understand this. Al Qaeda's modus operandi with respect to operational plans is conducted in a severely compartmentalized environment. The reason for this is quite obvious.....sometimes higher ups get captured either by design, stupidity or accidentally.

Nunz is correct.

Yes and no.

Baradar is the no. 1 military guy in the Taliban. But he reports to Mullah Omar who is the nominal head of the Taliwhackers.

I should have clarified...both are Afghan Taliban.

and now we have this submitted for the board's opinion.....

The guy was going about his daily life NOT HIDING FROM ANYONE!!!!

"If Pakistani officials had wanted to arrest him, they could have done it at any time," said Sher Mohammad Akhud Zada, the former governor of Afghanistan's Helmand province and a member of the Afghan parliament. "Why did they arrest him now?"
However, some Taliban sources told NBC News that Baradar actually left the Taliban shura a month ago, with Mullah Omar throwing him out after he adopted a softer line of wanting to negotiate and give up the jihad.
which makes complete sense...because he was NOT in hiding...he was out of favor with the Taliban and bin Laden ..... like I said on the first page of this thread....he outlived his usefulness to the ISI and they gave him up to the CIA to give the impression the Pakistani government and the ISI were now "co-operating" with the U.S.
Officials: Taliban?s 2nd-in-command nabbed - Afghanistan- msnbc.com

Forum List

Back