NYT: No, Race Is Not Just Skin-Deep

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by William Joyce, Nov 11, 2007.

1. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Wow.

Big admission here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/11/u...gin&adxnnlx=1194793651-kaZYxiPheNkmXssYmLvoYQ

But many geneticists, wary of fueling discrimination and worried that speaking openly about race could endanger support for their research, are loath to discuss the social implications of their findings. Still, some acknowledge that as their data and methods are extended to nonmedical traits, the field is at what one leading researcher recently called “a very delicate time, and a dangerous time.”

“There are clear differences between people of different continental ancestries,” said Marcus W. Feldman, a professor of biological sciences at Stanford University. “It’s not there yet for things like I.Q., but I can see it coming. And it has the potential to spark a new era of racism if we do not start explaining it better.”

By "explaining," Dr. Feldman, do you mean, like, "explaining" why the husband has lipstick on his neck when he gets home from work, or "explaining" the broken cookie jar on the floor? Ah, right. That kind of "explaining."

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Pot calling the kettle black. Your "explanations" are no better. That's the problem with the entire argument. No one on either side of the issue want to look at just the facts and report them honestly without spin.

3. William Joyce

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    What have I been dishonest about?

You and those like you are just PISSED that the truth is starting to come out, and that the world's best scientists are backing it up. All these years, the argument has been, "All races are equal. All races are the same. Anyone who disagrees is a racist." Blah blah blah. Now that argument is DYING and heading for DEAD.

I realize that's painful.

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Me and those like me? You might want to rethink that baseless label.

I have never ONCE said there were not differences between races.

That's a far cry from refusing to accept the baseless argument that race has any play in intellectual superiority/inferiority.

If I was going to actually get pissed about anything, it would be for being mislabelled. I'd like to know what is the difference between your dismissive attitude and those who do it to you?

5. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    I admit that there is a difference. Where does the difference come from? I think that it comes from slavery, followed by discrimination, followed by generational lack of resources. Wealthy people can afford healthier diets, exercise, and self-education (all of which helps intelligence). Also, consider societal expectation. What do people in Black neighborhoods teach their children by words and deeds? Low societal expectations lead to low results. People who expect handouts are less likely to practice self-improvement than are those who think that they must strive for what they want.

I contend that if you totally control all elements and variables (each word that is told to them, what they are taught each hour, what they eat each day, what they do each day, etc) for children from different races, then statistically, will show no significant difference in IQ or other similar variables as they age.

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    You're speaking only to the intellectual capability argument.

There ARE very real physical differences between races, and IMO, it is to that the article points.

7. William Joyce

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    But blacks in Africa have never been slaves. And they have IQ's even lower than American blacks. How do you explain that?

Asians have higher IQ's than whites. But they are minorities in the U.S. who have been discriminated against, and they often come from very poor circumstances. How do you explain that?

8. mattskramer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Okay. Then remove the slavery variable and apply apartheid. There are still wealth differences, and differences between the nations and their resources. What is the difference in IQ between American Blacks (those born and living in America) versus African Blacks (those born and living in America)? I think that you would see a smaller IQ in African Blacks. The difference would be due to discrimination and a lack of resources available. I think that there is less enrichment activity and opportunity in Africa than in America. See an article about mice experiments that parallel my opinion on the issue of human races and opportunities:

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0009-3920(196309)34:3<745:SIIOSI>2.0.CO;2-L

Also education, societal conditioning, and expectation play a role. What is the typical education that African Blacks receive when compared with American Blacks. What type of motivation and opportunity and given to people in Africa when compared with people in America? What do Africans expect their children to grow to be?

Asians have higher IQ's than whites. But they are minorities in the U.S. who have been discriminated against, and they often come from very poor circumstances. How do you explain that?[/QUOTE]

I contend that the deference is in cultural expectation. I read an interesting piece about crime and punishment in “Chinatowns” and “Black neighborhoods”. It seems as though oriental people instill more shame and embarrassment on their children for wrongdoing when compared with Blacks. Black parents are not as interested in the moral upbringing of their children. I might sound racist. Maybe I am and maybe I’m not. I’m simply giving my opinion.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24594-2004Jul2.html

9. William Joyce

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    But then the question arises, "do a smart people ignore the education of their children?" I think the answer has to be "no." If a group of people is aware that a choice between A and B will have different consequences, and choice A leads to good and B to bad, and they consistently choose B, I don't know what else you can say. Any way you cut it, it's not good.

10. mattskramer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    There are a few exceptional Black people who rise above expectations. There are a few White people who, when given practically every opportunity, fall below expectation. Still, in general, I think that societal expectation plays a big role is racial differences. There is an attitude that many people have that says that “I can never be better than I am. I will never be economically successful. The ‘big man’ always keeps me down”. There are others like the “Black Avenger” and other people who have the positive attitude that there are practically unlimited possibilities if you have determination and drive.

I think that we hammered this puppy enough. I guess that we agree to disagree. I just don’t believe that genetics plays that big a role in racial IQ differences. Other things play a larger role – especially when added up (parenting, instilling proper values, education, teaching a “can-do” attitude, financial opportunity (investment), societal and cultural expectation, diet, exercise, exposure to stimulating environments, role models, etc.)