NYT Editorial should have been named "NYT: Stupid as Fuck"

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007
No Rebates for You

Published: May 15, 2008

Immigrant restrictionism is stiffing hundreds of thousands of American citizens and legal residents out of their tax-rebate checks.

Hard-liners were so intent on keeping the cash out of the hands of undocumented workers that they restricted the rebate to people with Social Security numbers. An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, issued by the Internal Revenue Service to people who pay taxes but do not qualify for Social Security numbers, will not do. If a married couple files jointly, and one spouse is not eligible for the rebate, neither gets the money.

This hurts all manner of people who are working and paying taxes: American soldiers stationed abroad who happen to have married foreigners; high-tech immigrants in Silicon Valley and other places whose spouses are not authorized to work or have not yet had their paperwork processed. These are people who are perfectly legal, economically vital and politically inconvenient.

The government should fix the law so spouses get their money. It is a technical repair that even this Congress should manage. But why shouldn’t undocumented immigrants with taxpayer numbers get the cash too? The checks are not rewards for good behavior; they are taxes returned as a means to an end. Illegal immigrants constitute about 5 percent of the work force and earn much less than the native-born. They are just the sort of group the stimulus should be aimed at, if the purpose is to get the most economic bang for every rebate dollar.

Arguments like that do not fly in the polluted atmosphere of immigration politics, which has produced toxic byproducts so extreme that they make the rebate glitch seem like a mere annoyance.

Industries across the country are suffering and crops are rotting for lack of workers. Congress is debating a national right-to-work system that could mistakenly ensnare countless Americans and seriously overburden the Social Security bureaucracy. Federal agents and local police officers around the nation are rounding up the usual immigrants.

Such crackdowns have forced thousands of harmless people into a fast-growing, secretive detention system that is shockingly deficient in basic rights and decent health care. In a disturbing article, The Washington Post reported on Wednesday that the United States government had injected hundreds of undocumented foreigners with mind-altering drugs to render them docile while they were being deported. This practice violates every imaginable standard of decency, not to mention a few international laws and treaties.

Smart efforts to minimize the ill effects of illegal immigration die political deaths, meanwhile, like putting the undocumented into New York State’s motor-vehicle database, registered and insured instead of anonymous and unaccounted for. That was also the fate of the Dream Act, a modest bill to ease the way to college for the guiltless children of illegal immigrants so they would not be condemned to dead-end jobs. A model identity-card program in New Haven, hailed for lowering crime, is under legal attack from nativist groups.

Efforts at deliberate, proportionate and responsible immigration reform provoke paralysis, but restrictionist tactics are greeted with exuberance. The itch to do something about illegal immigration is being scratched. Note to country: Scratching never cured anything.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/15/opinion/15thu1.html?ref=opinion

:cuckoo:

Fucking lunatics.

I'll never understand why people are willing to penalize Americans out of fear of someone committing a misdemeanor.

color me silly.

but what are you so upset about here shogun?

the NYT showing concern that a soldier married to a 'foreigner' not getting a check? that seems pretty reasonable.

gosh i'm trying to remember the name of the act that authorized the checks?

hmmm what was it again?

The "illegal immigrant is equivalent to an American Citizen" act of 2008?

yea.. why wouldn't we reward the crime of entering our country illegally with check from the federal gov?

:cuckoo:

illegal aliens are not Americans. I'll never understand why some asshole who wants a cheaper deck would undermine their own national identity.

The "illegal immigrant is equivalent to an American Citizen" act of 2008?

in truth of course it's called the economic stimulus act. while i certainly don't think illegals deserve the check. i recognize the point editor makes. economic theory shows that every dollar a poo person gets stimulates the economy more dan da rich. Since a poo person will buy many cheap basic...whilst da rich if they spend it at all are more likely to buy a luxury good.

yea.. why wouldn't we reward the crime of entering our country illegally with check from the federal gov?

yeah really let's injected hundreds of undocumented foreigners with mind-altering drugs to render them docile while they were being deported

in truth of course it's called the economic stimulus act. while i certainly don't think illegals deserve the check. i recognize the point editor makes. economic theory shows that every dollar a poo person gets stimulates the economy more dan da rich. Since a poo person will buy many cheap basic...whilst da rich if they spend it at all are more likely to buy a luxury good.

yeah really let's injected hundreds of undocumented foreigners with mind-altering drugs to render them docile while they were being deported

indeed, maybe they'll remember the clockwork orange nasuea the next time they contimplate hopping the border.

And, there are enough poor CITIZENS that ILLEGALS are just shit out of luck. Maybe they can get as much consideration in their own country.

Ravi,

it blurs the relevance of actual citizenship. Not to mention, validates a population that should not be validated.

you also don't see a big deal undermining american labor with a discount mexican job either. I wonder if the American Carpenter Union feels differently than you do about the relevance of citizenship.

you also don't see a big deal undermining american labor with a discount mexican job either. I wonder if the American Carpenter Union feels differently than you do about the relevance of citizenship.

So you can't answer the question. Dang, I'm shocked.

i did answer the question. Weather or not you want to accept my answer is up to you.

then again, im sure my testicles have everything to do with your obstinacies.

"indeed, maybe they'll remember the clockwork orange nasuea the next time they contimplate hopping the border."

:cool: man i need shades just to bask in your humanity.

You said it undermined national identity. Now you've gone off on a tangent about jobs. I can understand your stance that jobs get taken away. I'd like to understand how you think it undermines national identity.

Do you want to give it a shot or not?

You can't fathom how the AMERICAN government validating NON-americans by giving them handouts from AMERICAN TAX DOLLARS blurs the relevance of citizenship?

what other club do you know of that treats it's members and non-members in the exact same fashion? I can't think of a single one. Again, ask a carpenter union about blurred relevance after you pay some mexicans to do the same job. they have gonads so be very cautious about the answer they give. Testicles make a person highly suspect.

You can't fathom how the AMERICAN government validating NON-americans by giving them handouts from AMERICAN TAX DOLLARS blurs the relevance of citizenship?

what other club do you know of that treats it's members and non-members in the exact same fashion? I can't think of a single one. Again, ask a carpenter union about blurred relevance after you pay some mexicans to do the same job. they have gonads so be very cautious about the answer they give. Testicles make a person highly suspect.

If I'm reading the article right these people are getting a tax refund on tax that was taken out of their salary. Is that correct?

a salary legally or ILLEGALLY given to a legal or ILLEGAL immigrant?

It looks like a combination of all of those.

So an employer hires someone, deducts federal income taxes from them and the person is due a refund for overpayment of taxes.

I don't understand why you think it undermines national identity.

I don't really care if you cannot grasp it. Again, you also don't give a damn enough about Americans to support them when it might save you a couple bucks so feel free to assume what you need to.

If emplyers had a way to circumvent the "discrimination" charge when an illegal can STEAL an AMERICAN identity with a scanner and bubble jet printer then you wouldn't have them to point a finger at rather than face the actual ILLEGALS who are the actual criminals.

boohoo.. illegals can't use one more thing in america to wipe their asses with. For real, my nuts ACHE with the lack of humanity.

Forum List

Back