NYC Teachers Paid to do Nothing

Merged

Ever wonder why we spend more and more and more on education, and yet kids keep learning less? Here's a clue:

Hundreds of New York City public school teachers accused of offenses ranging from insubordination to sexual misconduct are being paid their full salaries to sit around all day playing Scrabble, surfing the Internet or just staring at the wall, if that's what they want to do.
Because their union contract makes it extremely difficult to fire them, the teachers have been banished by the school system to its "rubber rooms" — off-campus office space where they wait months, even years, for their disciplinary hearings.
The 700 or so teachers can practice yoga, work on their novels, paint portraits of their colleagues — pretty much anything but school work. They have summer vacation just like their classroom colleagues and enjoy weekends and holidays through the school year. …
Because the teachers collect their full salaries of $70,000 or more, the city Department of Education estimates the practice costs the taxpayers $65 million a year. The department blames union rules.
Teachers goof around in the rubber rooms for as long as six years. Some have been known to hang out all day in nearby bars. Others play dominoes, sleep, sell real estate, "or teach each other yoga and tai chi."

Reports teacher David Suker:

It's sort of peaceful knowing that you're going to work to do nothing.
If you're not enraged yet, consider this: Thanks to Comrade Obama, now the auto industry, then the healthcare industry, and after that every other corner of our society will be run by the same unions and moonbat bureauweenies that have made a farce of our schools.

Ever wonder why we spend more and more and more on education, and yet kids keep learning less? Here's a clue:

Hundreds of New York City public school teachers accused of offenses ranging from insubordination to sexual misconduct are being paid their full salaries to sit around all day playing Scrabble, surfing the Internet or just staring at the wall, if that's what they want to do.
Because their union contract makes it extremely difficult to fire them, the teachers have been banished by the school system to its "rubber rooms" — off-campus office space where they wait months, even years, for their disciplinary hearings.
The 700 or so teachers can practice yoga, work on their novels, paint portraits of their colleagues — pretty much anything but school work. They have summer vacation just like their classroom colleagues and enjoy weekends and holidays through the school year. …
Because the teachers collect their full salaries of $70,000 or more, the city Department of Education estimates the practice costs the taxpayers $65 million a year. The department blames union rules.
Teachers goof around in the rubber rooms for as long as six years. Some have been known to hang out all day in nearby bars. Others play dominoes, sleep, sell real estate, "or teach each other yoga and tai chi."

If you're not enraged yet, consider this: Thanks to Comrade Obama, now the auto industry, then the healthcare industry, and after that every other corner of our society will be run by the same unions and moonbat bureauweenies that have made a farce of our schools.

The teacher story is absurd, I agree, and I'm glad it went public. The rest of your nonsense, however, is also absurd. For one thing, the Teachers Union DID NOT SUPPORT Obama because he is against automatic tenuring of teachers.

I would not blame the unions or the teachers, I blame the administrators and the system. Unions have rules but illegality or actions detrimental to children would still get you fired. Something is wrong with this story. As far as the teachers sitting around doing nothing, probably half or more people in the world would do the same if they could earn that kind of money for doing nothing. I bet lots have other jobs as well. I was in a union in my early days and saw many fired so something is amiss in this situation.

Two sides of the story:

Abuse by the Union and the Abuse of Tenure:
"It is extremely difficult to fire a tenured teacher because of the protections afforded to them in their contract," spokeswoman Ann Forte said.

The nickname refers to the padded cells of old insane asylums. Some teachers say that is fitting, since some of the inhabitants are unstable and don't belong in the classroom.

The other:
Retailiation against whistleblowers and over-punishment against teachers who have a tough job, of dealing with little Johnny or Janie in the time of over-sensitivity and over-protection of America's youth!
Many teachers say they are being punished because they ran afoul of a vindictive boss or because they blew the whistle when somebody fudged test scores.

"The principal wants you out, you're gone," said Michael Thomas, a high school math teacher who has been in a reassignment center for 14 months after accusing an assistant principal of tinkering with test results.

Cohen said she was charged with using abusive language when a girl cut her with scissors

Suker said he was falsely accused of throwing a girl's test sign-up form in the garbage during an argument.

Nobile was assigned to a rubber room in 2007, "supposedly for pushing a boy while I was breaking up a fight." He contends the school system is retaliating against him for exposing wrongdoing.

Look I know the kneejerk reaction on both sides:
The Right: Damn lazy teacher, damn unamerican tenure system and damn liberal teaching system. But most teachers don't make that much! In fact its at most times a thankless and highly low paying job. The pay is poor, the benefits suck and you don't even accumulate social security benefits! Then you have to deal with kids who many are victims of bad parenting and you have to be overly careful due to insane about of protection the politicians put on them. I would say most teachers get into teaching, because they honestly like teaching, like working with kids and like the job!

The Left:
Fuck you George W Bush its your fault. The Tensure system is need to protect teachers from Republicans especially Dick Cheaney. I think saw saw the Big Dick in NY, hide the kids! We need to protect our children, but teachers should be protected also!
Yet the left will ignore that NY is WASTING $65 mil on a problem that seems like if could be solved much easier! The tensure allows many bad teachers to keep a job and takes away a high incentive for a teacher to work harder and remain impartial -THE FEAR OF LOSING ONES JOB! Whistleblowing happens everywhere and there should be laws protecting it, but TENURE, come on now that is just plain STUPID!

The teacher story is absurd, I agree, and I'm glad it went public. The rest of your nonsense, however, is also absurd. For one thing, the Teachers Union DID NOT SUPPORT Obama because he is against automatic tenuring of teachers.

Tenure is absurb! Every job out there is pretty much at will. Do your job and stay. Do a bad job and your employer should have the option of letting you go. Complain to loud and risk getting canned. Whistle blow and you are protected in most states from employer retailation by statute!

I would not blame the unions or the teachers, I blame the administrators and the system. Unions have rules but illegality or actions detrimental to children would still get you fired. Something is wrong with this story. As far as the teachers sitting around doing nothing, probably half or more people in the world would do the same if they could earn that kind of money for doing nothing. I bet lots have other jobs as well. I was in a union in my early days and saw many fired so something is amiss in this situation.
its the Unions that say they must do this
so how is it the administrators fault?

That's not the point. Those teachers should be replaced by teachers in the classroom. There's enough shortage of dedicated teachers as it is, especially in inner cities where they are expected to have parenting skills as well and paid below the poverty line until they have tenure (if they make it that long). Teachers who stick around in a job they learn to hate just for the perks alone need to be booted, period.

[quote
=MaggieMae;1296411]

That's not the point. Those teachers should be replaced by teachers in the classroom. There's enough shortage of dedicated teachers as it is, especially in inner cities where they are expected to have parenting skills as well and paid below the poverty line until they have tenure (if they make it that long). Teachers who stick around in a job they learn to hate just for the perks alone need to be booted, period.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but not just in the inner city, but in any school system. These teachers are just waiting out retirement, and don't give a hairy rats a$$ about the students, they are just counting the days until the golden years kick in.............

Trust me on this, I have a few in my building.

Forum List

Back