NYC passes trans fat ban

Yeah futile in context. What part of Government Power don’t you understand?

Well lets see, I can eat trans fats all I want, seeing as I am not in New York.
Inside the city limits I can still eat all I want, I simply can't buy it in resturants, but hey if I bring my own I can spread it all over my food.

So I fail to see where the omnicient government power comes into play.

Well lets see, I can eat trans fats all I want, seeing as I am not in New York.
Inside the city limits I can still eat all I want, I simply can't buy it in resturants, but hey if I bring my own I can spread it all over my food.

So I fail to see where the omnicient government power comes into play.

So you have no problem with the government telling restaurants what they can serve?

What about places like Krispy Kreme doughnuts? These new laws could kill a whole business.

What about the public schools? Or are they going to continue feeding the kids as poorly as before?

How about airplane food? Any plane that flies in or out of NY better start serving GOOD food. :D

Call John Edwards. He needs a job since he is unemployed now. I am sure the huckster would be glad to save the stupid people of NY from their stupidy

For the small fee of 50% of the take

So you have no problem with the government telling restaurants what they can serve?

They have been telling restaurants what they can serve for years, it is called a health inspector. Restaurants aren't allowed to serve rat poison either.

They have been telling restaurants what they can serve for years, it is called a health inspector. Restaurants aren't allowed to serve rat poison either.

That goes to the cleanliness and safety of the food (in terms of storage and prep) in a restaurant. It has nothing to do with what's placed on your plate.

Why is there always someone trying to tell us nothing is going on because "it's just one state," while it snowballs into an avalanche?

The foods don't have to change, just the types of fats they put in them.

For those that are opposed to banning trans fats, do you know what trans fats are and how they affect the human body? Trans fats are now what cigs were years ago. Everyone eats trans fats and very few actually know what they are. I think if tobacco companies have to run anti-smoking adds then companies like Nabisco should be running anti-trans fat adds.

The foods don't have to change, just the types of fats they put in them.

For those that are opposed to banning trans fats, do you know what trans fats are and how they affect the human body? Trans fats are now what cigs were years ago. Everyone eats trans fats and very few actually know what they are. I think if tobacco companies have to run anti-smoking adds then companies like Nabisco should be running anti-trans fat adds.

Yes, I know what they are. I won't get into specifics, but they're a particularly bad kind of fat that is created when you hydrogenate oil, a process that keeps it from spoiling at room temperature. I don't support banning it, nor do I support these asinine smoking bans, and I don't think the two are equivalent either, with the trans fat ban being far more asinine. Trans fats have a purpose as a byproduct of another convenience of modern society. If you can find a way to preserve oils at room temperature without hydrogenating the stuff, I'm all ears.

Yes, I know what they are. I won't get into specifics, but they're a particularly bad kind of fat that is created when you hydrogenate oil, a process that keeps it from spoiling at room temperature. I don't support banning it, nor do I support these asinine smoking bans, and I don't think the two are equivalent either, with the trans fat ban being far more asinine. Trans fats have a purpose as a byproduct of another convenience of modern society. If you can find a way to preserve oils at room temperature without hydrogenating the stuff, I'm all ears.

Oh no, banning synthetic deadly fats might hurt the junk food industry. What will our nation come to? Hospitals and cardiologists might go out of business! A big reason why trans fats are used is that they taste better and give the food better texture. If a food taste better, more people will eat it and gain weight along with health problems.

http://www.bantransfats.com/obesitymap.html

http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/n...owabouttransfats/market/stocks/article/255703

That goes to the cleanliness and safety of the food (in terms of storage and prep) in a restaurant. It has nothing to do with what's placed on your plate.

Exactly. A restaurant cannot serve food that has not been stored or prepared within government specifications, this has been true for years. This ban just adds an additional specification for preparation: that a dish cannot be prepared using transfats.

Most health departments are looking for proper handling of food, cross contaimination and correct time & temperature things of that nature, they may also make sure items are coming from an inspected source such as a USDA meat processing plant. Health departments generally do not check ingredients, which a trans-fat is an ingredient.

If trans fats are toxic or poisonous why has the FDA not outlawed them?

And I will ask this again. 1. Does everyone die? 2. Is life expectancy longer now than in the past?

Exactly. A restaurant cannot serve food that has not been stored or prepared within government specifications, this has been true for years. This ban just adds an additional specification for preparation: that a dish cannot be prepared using transfats.

If the stuff is so BAD then why don't they just stop the manufacturing of the stuff instead of targeting just restaurants?

If trans fats are toxic or poisonous why has the FDA not outlawed them?

EVERYONE makes more profit because of trans fats.

And I will ask this again. 1. Does everyone die? 2. Is life expectancy longer now than in the past?

1. Nope, but that's a terrible reason to not ban trans fats. Most people don't die from crystal meth, crack, or heroin, yet those are illegal.

2. Yes, but health care is much better. Now we can live to see multiple heart attacks and have several bypass surgeries before we die.;)

If the stuff is so BAD then why don't they just stop the manufacturing of the stuff instead of targeting just restaurants?

Don't you understand the purpose of the ban?

We the people are to damn stupid to know what is best for us, and we need liberals to make those choices for us

Only liberals know what is best for society. Who are we to question them?

Oh no, banning synthetic deadly fats might hurt the junk food industry. What will our nation come to? Hospitals and cardiologists might go out of business! A big reason why trans fats are used is that they taste better and give the food better texture. If a food taste better, more people will eat it and gain weight along with health problems.

http://www.bantransfats.com/obesitymap.html

http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/n...owabouttransfats/market/stocks/article/255703

So you can ban something that makes food taste good because it's not as good for you as the alternative? Does that mean that hamburger places need to replace their patties with veggie burgers? Does that mean coffee places have to replace their non-dairy creamer with milk, or possibly vice versa? Do you ban all pork chops and steaks without all the fat trimmed? Where does it stop?

So you can ban something that makes food taste good because it's not as good for you as the alternative? Does that mean that hamburger places need to replace their patties with veggie burgers? Does that mean coffee places have to replace their non-dairy creamer with milk, or possibly vice versa? Do you ban all pork chops and steaks without all the fat trimmed? Where does it stop?

I don't think you understand what a trans fat is. Trans fat is a poison to the body. It's not natural, and the body does not know what to do with so, so it only serves to damage our bodies. Now let's think about this:

If burgerking is lacing their burgers with a poison to make them more tasty, should they stop doing that?

If starbucks is putting poison in your coffee to make it taste better, should they be allowed to do so?

Is it possible to eat a pork chop without eating the excess fat? Yes. Is it possible to eat a french fry without eating a trans fat? No

Trans fats should be treated just like tobacco. Both are damaging and will kill you sooner. Right now, in the year 2006 where everyone eats grams and grams of transfats daily, the general population has no idea what they are eating. This is IDENTICAL to how the general population had no idea the harm tobacco did to their bodies.

Forum List

Back