nyc churches banned from helping homeless

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
NYC Churches Ordered Not To Shelter Homeless
NEW YORK (CBS) ― City officials have ordered 22 New York churches to stop providing beds to homeless people.

With temperatures well below freezing early Saturday, the churches must obey a city rule requiring faith-based shelters to be open at least five days a week -- or not at all.

Arnold Cohen, president of the Partnership for the Homeless, a nonprofit that serves as a link with the city, said he had to tell the churches they no longer qualify.

He said hundreds of people now won't have a place to sleep.

The Department of Homeless Services said the city offers other shelters with the capacity to accept all those who have been sleeping in the churches. The city had 8,000 beds waiting.

Last year, four unsheltered homeless people died in the city during cold weather, so three dozen emergency outreach teams were prepped to respond to reports of homeless people outdoors or in the subways.

"We really don't want people sleeping on the streets, on grates, on church steps. We want people sleeping in beds," said Homeless Commissioner Robert Hess.

The homeless can be coaxed indoors but not forced unless their life is in danger.

wcbstv.com - NYC Churches Ordered Not To Shelter Homeless

i am stunned by this..why would they order this....many churches may be only able to provide a few days aid but a few days is better than nothing...how can you mandate charity? or the level of what one must give?
i am sure many of the homeless using the churches beds were women with small children....the normal city ran shelters are more violent and not suited for small kids....or women....they really arent that suited for anyone...so anyone in the nyc area got a rational behind this?

I don't know. Hey, remember how all we heard about was homeless during the Reagan/Bush I years and then *poof* they disappeared? Maybe they are just "thinning" the ranks. Happy Happy!

Arnold Cohen, president of the Partnership for the Homeless, a nonprofit that serves as a link with the city, said he had to tell the churches they no longer qualify.

So the State owns the homeless now. I wonder if they know that?

NEW YORK (CBS) ― City officials have ordered 22 New York churches to stop providing beds to homeless people.

With temperatures well below freezing early Saturday, the churches must obey a city rule requiring faith-based shelters to be open at least five days a week -- or not at all.

The Department of Homeless Services said the city offers other shelters with the capacity to accept all those who have been sleeping in the churches. The city had 8,000 beds waiting.

Last year, four unsheltered homeless people died in the city during cold weather, so three dozen emergency outreach teams were prepped to respond to reports of homeless people outdoors or in the subways.

"We really don't want people sleeping on the streets, on grates, on church steps. We want people sleeping in beds," said Homeless Commissioner Robert Hess.

The homeless can be coaxed indoors but not forced unless their life is in danger.

i am stunned by this..why would they order this....many churches may be only able to provide a few days aid but a few days is better than nothing...how can you mandate charity? or the level of what one must give?
i am sure many of the homeless using the churches beds were women with small children....the normal city ran shelters are more violent and not suited for small kids....or women....they really arent that suited for anyone...so anyone in the nyc area got a rational behind this?

Reminds me of the Guilliani days. Sad to see this. I doubt the churches will listen.

It's quite disgusting - especially with how cold it's been lately. In my belief, a society should be judged on how it treats its most vulnerable. These people, who suffer from severe depression, should be given top knotch care. If we treat the people with no money like gold, imagine how we treat the people WITH money. Instead, our oligarchy society only treats the rich like decent human beings. We're so busy thinking of ourselves and ways to get the rich richer, no one cares about the forgotten members of our society... the people who tried and failed.

Last edited:

because churches have white religious people in them,, get the hell over it,,

I asked a missionary one time why he was taking a group to Mexico to build houses and shelters when there was so much need right here in Washington State...

He told me that the Mexican Government was easier to work with and the unions in America made it impossible to help the homeless here.

How stupid we must look from space. No wonder visitors remain incognito...

-Joe

no one can be homeless under an Obama administration.

Dimocrats will win the war against homelessness by attrition and hypothermia

You know what will be funny? When a homeless person dies because the State said a church couldn't take them in. Oh, that'll be hilarious!!! :eek:

It will never be reported... them democats have deep deep litter.

You know what will be funny? When a homeless person dies because the State said a church couldn't take them in. Oh, that'll be hilarious!!! :eek:

I imagine there is some rationale for it but not allowing churches to provide shelter is a bit baffling.

i see i wasted my time....with this thread...since yall have turned it into another....its their fault blah blah blah....how sad....

i see i wasted my time....with this thread...since yall have turned it into another....its their fault blah blah blah....how sad....

Which is what you asked:

The State ordered it, that's who.

This is what happens when the State has too much power:

That's why Communist countries have severe restrictions on religion. They certainly don't want God having more power than the State!

This is the first time I've said the church should disobey our laws, but this is just wrong. Why shouldn't churches provide for the homeless if they can? This is a volunteer thing, on both sides. If it's a fire thing, or lack of facilities thing, I can understand it, but this just seems to be an all or nothing thing since they are only telling churches who can't do it for 5 nights or more that they can't do it at all. No one is forcing the homeless to use these churches or the churches to provide beds for the homeless, yet the government has to step in and say "it's not allowed". What have we become????

Not the point at all. Last week a group made 200 sandwiches and took them to Seattle and passed them out to the homeless because a dying little boy was worried about feeding the homeless. Now how sad if they hadn't been able to do that for that little boy because some stupid government bureaucrat said "no".

Why shouldn't churches provide for the homeless if they can?

Nobody who asks this question has ever lived in NYC. It's much more complicated than "strollingbones" take on it. It's not as simple as "churches good, city bad." St. Patrick's Cathedral, for instance, had a policy of allowing homeless on its steps. So, they gathered there, pissed on the steps, harassed tourists, you name it. They were a fucking menace. The city said to to the church, "get them the hell out of here, and if you won't, we will." It HAD TO BE DONE.

Idea for you liberal assholes: go out to a big city with a large van. Round up all the homeless you can and bring them back to your house, indefinitely. Then get back to us in a few weeks.

Forum List

Back