NYC-$15.00 for a pack of Smokes

Nova78

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2011
Colorado
nypost.com/p/news/local/these_packs_cost_LGzOpJq8Ght1i9Q2yAZBXM

Smokers are used to coughing up a lot -- but this is getting ridiculous.

The price on a pack of cigarettes has skyrocketed to $14.50 at some New York City stores thanks to a hefty new tax -- leaving even the most nicotine-addicted buttheads considering nixing their fix.

"This is my last cigarette ever!" fumed William MacLeod, 45, of Brooklyn. "At $15 a pack, this is ridiculous. It's a good excuse for me to quit."

Ella Maxine, a small-business owner from Park Slope, Brooklyn, almost choked on her smokes when she had to plunk down $15 for a pack of American Spirits cigarettes at Smiler's Deli on Fifth Avenue near 46th Street.

The gov loves the fact you smoke ,what a cash cow.....all in the name of a way to get you to quit..........

Thats the object. Quitting I mean. One would think that anyway.

NY and the other high priced States are gonna be in for a surprise if everyone who smokes quitts.

Where will they get the tax money??

More attacks on your freedom, thanks to government.

Smoking is a nasty habit, but whether or not you smoke should NOT be up to some filthy POLITICIAN.

If I was big tobacco, I'd get together with other tobacco companies and file a class action law suit against the government for damages in sales.

Close to a buck a smoke.

With high costs for cigarettes and no public spot to smoke them, it is becoming harder and harder to be a smoker

A shame really, damn shame

Close to a buck a smoke.

With high costs for cigarettes and no public spot to smoke them, it is becoming harder and harder to be a smoker

A shame really, damn shame

Yup, I feel sorry for smokers. :badgrin:

Anyone want to sell tobacco growing kits and rolling supplies in NY?

We'll make a fortune

See it's stupid government decisions like this that help small business

That's fucking ridiculous, I pay about $5.46 for a pack of Newport 100's here in Birmingham.

newport_100_cigarettes.jpg

We'll make a fortune

I have friends in the Military still that can send me cartons of Newports if I wire them some money, and smokes are way cheaper on base than they are off post, fuck New York for this stupid law.

You might think the high prices would simply put an end to smoking. However, what we are really doing is making cigarettes more valuable, particularly in the eyes of the young.

Sounds like the Big Tobacco / Indian Reservations accusation mighta been New York's answer to stories like this one.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/05/nyregion/05loosie.html

Mr. Warner said he bought his cigarettes — almost always Newports — for a bit over $50 a carton from smugglers who get them in states like Virginia, where the state tax is well under a dollar a pack. He then resells them for 75 cents each, two for $1 or $8 for a pack ($7 for friends).

Last edited:
Who suffers most? The poor and the middle class who can't afford fancy smoker's rehab. Make the stuff illegal but don't torture people.

Soon the hawkers will not be whispering to you... "lady, lady, Gucci handbag, Rolex watch...i sell you cheap!"

It will be... "lady, lady, Benson and Hedges, i sell you cheap".

Last edited:
It is almost cheaper to just roll up a dollar bill and burn it......healthier too

We'll make a fortune

I have friends in the Military still that can send me cartons of Newports if I wire them some money, and smokes are way cheaper on base than they are off post, fuck New York for this stupid law.

Oh, yeah????

This is why NYC streets are so clean...

...and the air is .....

Never mind.

Forum List

Back