NY to stop testing potential teachers because not enough minority teachers were passing the test

Some of the Vietnam veterans here will remember the caliber of people who came into the military with piss poor educations. High school dropouts, high school and college graduates who could barely read, write and no math skills. Hell of a way to run a country. Will liberals always get to dictate how to teach dumbness? Politically correct SOBs.

High School Level Literacy Tests for Teachers are Racist
March 12, 2017
Daniel Greenfield
sami-dr-suess-reading-quote1.jpg

Tests are racist. If they have a disproportionate impact, then they are by definition racist. Tests in school are racist. Tests for teachers are racist. When we eliminate all literacy qualifications for teachers and students, truly illiterate social justice will be achieved.

Test Means to Screen Teachers Instead Weeded Out Minorities

I love the headline. It sums up the whole worldview. If minority teacher candidates are more likely to fail a literacy test, it must be the fault of the test.

New York education officials are poised to scrap a test designed to measure the reading and writing skills of people trying to become teachers, in part because an outsized percentage of black and Hispanic candidates were failing it.

There you go. Let's also eliminate any laws and tests that have a disproportionate impact. Including traffic laws.

I can't imagine why our educational system is broken.

High School Level Literacy Tests for Teachers are Racist

You know they might be able to teach in Mexico or Venezuela...
:desk:

I would be curious to see a study that correlates test scores with effectiveness of teachers. I have known brilliant people (i.e., "high" test scores) who couldn't communicate or connect well with an audience, and I have seen many people who were not brilliant who could get things across very well. Some of these people have been "Black."

Maybe a written test is not the best way to weed people out.

Not that any unionized teacher is in any danger of losing her job due to a test result. Not in this life.

I would be curious to see a study that correlates test scores with effectiveness of teachers. I have known brilliant people (i.e., "high" test scores) who couldn't communicate or connect well with an audience, and I have seen many people who were not brilliant who could get things across very well. Some of these people have been "Black."

Maybe a written test is not the best way to weed people out.

Not that any unionized teacher is in any danger of losing her job due to a test result. Not in this life.

You think that is really true? Five years ago, I was hired to replace a teacher who could not pass the PRAXIS exam to teach the class she had been assigned.

Six years ago, I was hired to replace a teacher who had been arrested for sexual misconduct with his student. I guess he is somehow still employed as a teacher in some education basher's mind instead of residing in the state penitentiary like he currently is.

That being said, look who is implementing these policies. It is not a school district in Missouri or Oklahoma. It's liberal-infested NY. What did you honestly expect?

Not enuff minority Passenger Jet Pilots or Surgeons. Lets' quit testing so the Company picnic pics have more persons "of color". Here is your AA Pilot license, there's your loaded International flight. Go get em' Ackmed and Shoranda.

Admiral, the subject here is a general knowledge test. Where there is testing to determine a teacher's mastery of the SUBJECT MATTER (which frankly I've never heard of), then I suppose it's possible to remove a teacher as a result of a failed test. And of course, a teacher can be removed for crimes of moral turpitude.

But removal for general incompetence or stupidity? Ain't happening. The teacher will be mentored, coddled, guided, etc., until retirement.

Admiral, the subject here is a general knowledge test. Where there is testing to determine a teacher's mastery of the SUBJECT MATTER (which frankly I've never heard of), then I suppose it's possible to remove a teacher as a result of a failed test. And of course, a teacher can be removed for crimes of moral turpitude.

But removal for general incompetence or stupidity? Ain't happening. The teacher will be mentored, coddled, guided, etc., until retirement.

No, it is a literacy test. Do you not know the difference?

They aren't asking if iron is a metal or a gas. They are asking you to read and interpret a piece of literature, which is sometimes difficult for students from minority or poor backgrounds.

I teach in a fairly poor farming community. Most of the students in my class look at me like I have horns on my head when I use words like "extraneous". Their vocabulary simply sucks!
Then, when I ask them why they do not know these words as I did, they get offended and shut down completely.

Admiral, the subject here is a general knowledge test. Where there is testing to determine a teacher's mastery of the SUBJECT MATTER (which frankly I've never heard of).....

If you have no idea what you're talking about, why post as if you did?

1) Teachers in my district get fired (technically not fired, their contracts just aren't renewed) due to incompetency all of the time since tenure is gone .

2) Teachers in my state (Florida) have to take subject area tests, general knowledge tests and a professional education test.

3) Finally you can't expect any teacher to be great their first few years-it's just not going to happen. Like anything else it takes time to get better. With that said if they're clearly not cut out for it-they're weeded out quickly.

Seriously, it seems like you have no understanding of the education system so if I were you I'd do some research and learn, rather than just blindly believing what people tell you.

A single example, or even experience from a single s hool/district does not constitute evidence of the general situation.

Consider New York City, where incompetent teachers have been paid to do nothing for decades, despite constant efforts to stop the practice. Where I live, Western Pennsylvania, essentially all of the school district's are unionized. Performance reviews are a time - wasting practical joke on the taxpayers, where nobody ever gets a negative review, and no teacher is ever removed for non-performance after achieving permanent certification (generally 3 years).

Thank God there are a few states where the cancer of collective bargaining has not mortally compromised public education. Still, even without a CBA, it remains difficult to remove a teacher for simply not getting the job done adequately. They are, after all, government workers.

Forum List

Back