NY Times rates Oakland Ca 5th tourist city

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
We aren't talking about 5th in the state or even in the Nation. The NY Times rates a city that has been called "one of the most dangerous large cities in the Country", Oakland, Ca as the 5th top tourist destinations in the whole freaking world. What the hell are they thinking? Do foreign visitors get to sue the Times if they get raped or murdered in Oakland after the Times recommended the city?

They are some nice hotels in the area and it is cheaper than staying in SF.

We aren't talking about 5th in the state or even in the Nation. The NY Times rates a city that has been called "one of the most dangerous large cities in the Country", Oakland, Ca as the 5th top tourist destinations in the whole freaking world. What the hell are they thinking? Do foreign visitors get to sue the Times if they get raped or murdered in Oakland after the Times recommended the city?

Before i comment

link?

I can't believe this. The only thing Oakland has that is in the least bit appealing to tourists is Jack London Square. The real tourist destination is San Francisco, and that's not even what it was.

I can't believe this. The only thing Oakland has that is in the least bit appealing to tourists is Jack London Square. The real tourist destination is San Francisco, and that's not even what it was.

link?

Before i comment

link?

You want Gunny to post links? :lol:

Idiot... they are not saying that oakland ca IS the 5th highest ranked tourist destination in the world. They are saying its on THEIR top 45 places to go in 1212

In my opinion the NY times is a left wing liberal paper. It does not surprise me that they are pushing the OWS city.

5. Oakland, Calif.
New restaurants and bars beckon amid the grit.

Tensions have cooled since violence erupted at the recent Occupy Oakland protests, but the city’s revitalized night-life scene has continued to smolder.

The 45 Places to Go in 2012 - NYTimes.com

Before i comment

link?

You want Gunny to post links? :lol:

:eek:

That's crazy, I grew up about 70 miles east of Oakland, and besides a few good barbeque joints, and really outstanding taco trucks, there isn't anything to see in Oakland that would justify tourism. I guess you could see a Raders game, or a Warriors game. Berekely is kind of a fun town but Oakland people don't like the snobs in that area.

I used to call on Oakland City schools when I used to sell science curriculum, and the high schools were more dangerous than the streets.

I doubt the accuracy of this....whatever it is....

Last edited:

link?

You need a link that Jack London Square is in Oakland, or that San Francisco is a tourist destination.

To what he claims the NY times said. Rather an idiot don't you think when you claim to be quoting them and whining about it. It is generally good form and expected to provide links if you are quoting.

I gave the link.
And as it turns out.... he totally misquoted them and misrepresented what they were saying. ;)

The San Jose Mercury News wrote:

It's no Myanmar, but Oakland ranked fifth on the New York Times' 45 Places to Go in 2012. The list, which was published one day after Occupy protesters marched through downtown behind an "(Expletive) The Police" banner, said of Oakland, "Tensions have cooled since violence erupted at the recent Occupy Oakland protests, but the city's revitalized night-life scene has continued to smolder."

The Gray Lady touted the Fox Theater as a major reason to visit Oakland as well as the many new restaurants in Uptown and Jack London Square. Oakland placed one spot ahead of Tokyo and 11 spots in front of Florence, Italy. Panama City was the top place to visit, followed by Helsinki, Myanmar and London.

You need a link that Jack London Square is in Oakland, or that San Francisco is a tourist destination.

To what he claims the NY times said. Rather an idiot don't you think when you claim to be quoting them and whining about it. It is generally good form and expected to provide links if you are quoting.

I gave the link.
And as it turns out.... he totally misquoted them and misrepresented what they were saying. ;)

Know'm Saying? :lol:

The San Jose Mercury News wrote:

It's no Myanmar, but Oakland ranked fifth on the New York Times' 45 Places to Go in 2012. The list, which was published one day after Occupy protesters marched through downtown behind an "(Expletive) The Police" banner, said of Oakland, "Tensions have cooled since violence erupted at the recent Occupy Oakland protests, but the city's revitalized night-life scene has continued to smolder."

The Gray Lady touted the Fox Theater as a major reason to visit Oakland as well as the many new restaurants in Uptown and Jack London Square. Oakland placed one spot ahead of Tokyo and 11 spots in front of Florence, Italy. Panama City was the top place to visit, followed by Helsinki, Myanmar and London.

As is said above in the thread.... its a political move by the NY times in support of OWS.

Forum List

Back