NY Times coverage of Party change over; 2007 vs. 2011, about what we expect

Trajan

conscientia mille testes
Jun 17, 2010
The Bay Area Soviet
Coverage of the same event, 4 years removed, different party, same org.

article 1- Pelosi take over Jan 4th 2007

article 2- Boehner take over Jan 4th 2011

Democrats Take the Gavels in Congress

By DAVID STOUT
Published: January 4, 2007
(news page)

WASHINGTON, Jan. 4 — Jubilant Democrats took the gavels in the Senate and House today for the first time in 12 years, pledging a new era in Congress and a new effort at bipartisan progress.

“I accept this gavel in the spirit of partnership, not partisanship,” said Representative Nancy Pelosi of California after her election as the first woman in the nation’s history to be Speaker of the House.

Ms. Pelosi, whose party has 233 of the 435 seats in the new House, said she looked forward to working with Representative John A. Boehner of Ohio, the new Republican minority leader, who said the gavel was “on loan from the American people,” and that Republicans and Democrats could “disagree without being disagreeable to each other.”

Ms. Pelosi invoked the memory of President Gerald R. Ford, who in his days as Republican House leader was one of the best-liked members in either party. “Let us honor his memory,” she said.

Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the new Senate majority leader, sounded a similar theme. “With the opening of the 110th Congress and the beginning of new Democratic majorities in the House and Senate, it’s time to start moving America forward,” he said. “Guided by the spirit of bipartisanship, Democrats are ready to take this country in a new direction.”

But Ms. Pelosi made it quite clear earlier that her party intends to flex its newly acquired muscle, as she presided over the swearing-in of the leadership of the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, headed by Representative Kendrick Meek of Florida.

“The Democrats are back, and the C.B.C. is in the lead, in the lead!” Ms. Pelosi exulted. Throwing a dart at Republicans, she envisioned “a new direction that is there for all of the people, not just the privileged few,” a direction that “builds and strengthens the middle class.”

As Ms. Pelosi assumed power, her predecessor sat quietly at his desk. Representative J. Dennis Hastert, who turned 65 on Tuesday, is now just a Republican congressman from Illinois, out of the Speaker’s chair and out of the leadership.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/04/washington/04cnd-cong.html

#2-

Pomp, and Little Circumstance
No Attribution
Published: January 4, 2011
(op-ed page)

A theatrical production of unusual pomposity will open on Wednesday when Republicans assume control of the House for the 112th Congress. A rule will be passed requiring that every bill cite its basis in the Constitution. A bill will be introduced to repeal the health care law. On Thursday, the Constitution will be read aloud in the House chamber. And in one particularly self-important flourish, the new speaker, John Boehner, arranged to have his office staff “sworn in” on Tuesday by the chief justice of the United States.

Those who had hoped to see a glimpse of the much-advertised Republican plan to revive the economy and put Americans back to work will have to wait at least until party leaders finish their Beltway insider ritual of self-glorification. Then, they may find time for governing.

The empty gestures are officially intended to set a new tone in Washington, to demonstrate — presumably to the Republicans’ Tea Party supporters — that things are about to be done very differently. But it is far from clear what message is being sent by, for instance, reading aloud the nation’s foundational document. Is this group of Republicans really trying to suggest that they care more deeply about the Constitution than anyone else and will follow it more closely?

In any case, it is a presumptuous and self-righteous act, suggesting that they alone understand the true meaning of a text that the founders wisely left open to generations of reinterpretation. Certainly the Republican leadership is not trying to suggest that African-Americans still be counted as three-fifths of a person.

There is a similar air of vacuous fundamentalism in requiring that every bill cite the Constitutional power given to Congress to enact it. The new House leadership says this is necessary because the health care law and other measures that Republicans do not like have veered from the Constitution. But it is the judiciary that ultimately decides when a law is unconstitutional, not the transitory occupant of the speaker’s chair.

All of this, though, is simply eyewash — the equivalent of a flag-draped background to a speech — compared with the actual legislation the Republicans plan to pass. And though much of that has no possibility of being enacted, it does suggest the depth of the struggle to come. The bill tauntingly titled the “Repealing the Job-Killing Health Care Law Act” has nothing to do with increasing employment and will never reach the Senate floor, but shows that the leadership is willing to threaten the hard-fought access to health care for millions of the uninsured, just to make a political point.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/05/opinion/05wed1.html?_r=1&hp

If you expect anything different you are delusional.

I feel comforted by this. It just goes to show the orbits of the stars remain in place, the laws of physics havn't been repealed.

It is like seeing USArmyRetired post a love letter to Sarah, or Truthmatters post a really amazing lie she got off a viral email, or Rdean post one of his 6% scientists posts. Everything is normal, and the world just turns as always

WTF do you dumb CON$ expect?

The NYTwas spot on...BOTH times.

The pomp and circumstance of the current crop of CON$ is sickening.

Drunken Orange Boner wailing on stage like a Banshee..."Hell no you didn't/can't/won't!"

What NONSENSE is that if not pompous stage-play and theatrics?

You effing CON$ kill me!

*SMH*

Drunken Orange Boner wailing on stage like a Banshee..."Hell no you didn't/can't/won't!"

You effing CON$ kill me!

*SMH*

I loved looking at all the pinched black faces staring up at his victorious orange face. tickled the piss outta me and I thought of you you racist peice of garbage.

Coverage of the same event, 4 years removed, different party, same org.

article 1- Pelosi take over Jan 4th 2007

article 2- Boehner take over Jan 4th 2011

By DAVID STOUT
(news page)

WASHINGTON, Jan. 4 — Jubilant Democrats took the gavels in the Senate and House today for the first time in 12 years, pledging a new era in Congress and a new effort at bipartisan progress.

“I accept this gavel in the spirit of partnership, not partisanship,” said Representative Nancy Pelosi of California after her election as the first woman in the nation’s history to be Speaker of the House.

Ms. Pelosi, whose party has 233 of the 435 seats in the new House, said she looked forward to working with Representative John A. Boehner of Ohio, the new Republican minority leader, who said the gavel was “on loan from the American people,” and that Republicans and Democrats could “disagree without being disagreeable to each other.”

Ms. Pelosi invoked the memory of President Gerald R. Ford, who in his days as Republican House leader was one of the best-liked members in either party. “Let us honor his memory,” she said.

Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the new Senate majority leader, sounded a similar theme. “With the opening of the 110th Congress and the beginning of new Democratic majorities in the House and Senate, it’s time to start moving America forward,” he said. “Guided by the spirit of bipartisanship, Democrats are ready to take this country in a new direction.”

But Ms. Pelosi made it quite clear earlier that her party intends to flex its newly acquired muscle, as she presided over the swearing-in of the leadership of the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, headed by Representative Kendrick Meek of Florida.

“The Democrats are back, and the C.B.C. is in the lead, in the lead!” Ms. Pelosi exulted. Throwing a dart at Republicans, she envisioned “a new direction that is there for all of the people, not just the privileged few,” a direction that “builds and strengthens the middle class.”

As Ms. Pelosi assumed power, her predecessor sat quietly at his desk. Representative J. Dennis Hastert, who turned 65 on Tuesday, is now just a Republican congressman from Illinois, out of the Speaker’s chair and out of the leadership.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/04/washington/04cnd-cong.html

#2-

No Attribution
(op-ed page)

A theatrical production of unusual pomposity will open on Wednesday when Republicans assume control of the House for the 112th Congress. A rule will be passed requiring that every bill cite its basis in the Constitution. A bill will be introduced to repeal the health care law. On Thursday, the Constitution will be read aloud in the House chamber. And in one particularly self-important flourish, the new speaker, John Boehner, arranged to have his office staff “sworn in” on Tuesday by the chief justice of the United States.

Those who had hoped to see a glimpse of the much-advertised Republican plan to revive the economy and put Americans back to work will have to wait at least until party leaders finish their Beltway insider ritual of self-glorification. Then, they may find time for governing.

The empty gestures are officially intended to set a new tone in Washington, to demonstrate — presumably to the Republicans’ Tea Party supporters — that things are about to be done very differently. But it is far from clear what message is being sent by, for instance, reading aloud the nation’s foundational document. Is this group of Republicans really trying to suggest that they care more deeply about the Constitution than anyone else and will follow it more closely?

In any case, it is a presumptuous and self-righteous act, suggesting that they alone understand the true meaning of a text that the founders wisely left open to generations of reinterpretation. Certainly the Republican leadership is not trying to suggest that African-Americans still be counted as three-fifths of a person.

There is a similar air of vacuous fundamentalism in requiring that every bill cite the Constitutional power given to Congress to enact it. The new House leadership says this is necessary because the health care law and other measures that Republicans do not like have veered from the Constitution. But it is the judiciary that ultimately decides when a law is unconstitutional, not the transitory occupant of the speaker’s chair.

All of this, though, is simply eyewash — the equivalent of a flag-draped background to a speech — compared with the actual legislation the Republicans plan to pass. And though much of that has no possibility of being enacted, it does suggest the depth of the struggle to come. The bill tauntingly titled the “Repealing the Job-Killing Health Care Law Act” has nothing to do with increasing employment and will never reach the Senate floor, but shows that the leadership is willing to threaten the hard-fought access to health care for millions of the uninsured, just to make a political point.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/05/opinion/05wed1.html?_r=1&hp

Hey OP....

Don't cry...dry...yo eye.
baby_crying.jpg

LOL!!!

You effing CON$ kill me!

*SMH*

:lol::lol::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Leave troll drone. You do nothing but embarrass yourself here.

Hey OP....

Don't cry...dry...yo eye.
baby_crying.jpg

LOL!!!

cry? I am ecstatic, the irony is obviously lost on you as you're a little slow, so I'll explain; the NY Times in 09 was facing bankruptcy, no one would lend them money and they had to kiss the ring of Carlos Slim, the chairman of a Mexican conglomerate,
( see: evil robber baron) to stay afloat to the tune of 250 million dollars.

Why? Because of gross mismanagement and what the op makes plain. A complete lack of objectivity that is as stupid as it is destructive. They should be on the ropes again soon, we'll see what greedy money changer or robber baron they crawl to next.

All the news that's fit to print....:lol:

You effing CON$ kill me!

*SMH*

Basically..yeah.

Issa is promising investigations, they are promising to repeal the health care bill and replace it with nothing, Issa called businesses to ask which regulations they wanted repealed, they are asking for a provision that each bill must include the clause from the Constitution that it is supported by....this is all very adversarial stuff.

Pelosi on the other hand said she was ushering in a new era of bi-partisanship and evoked the memory of Gerald Ford.

Conservatives are asking for capitulation (We won! Get over it), Liberals were asking to work together.

You effing CON$ kill me!

*SMH*

Basically..yeah.

Issa is promising investigations, they are promising to repeal the health care bill and replace it with nothing, Issa called businesses to ask which regulations they wanted repealed, they are asking for a provision that each bill must include the clause from the Constitution that it is supported by....this is all very adversarial stuff.

Pelosi on the other hand said she was ushering in a new era of bi-partisanship and evoked the memory of Gerald Ford.

Conservatives are asking for capitulation (We won! Get over it), Liberals were asking to work together.

Oh Please, it was Obama himself with the "I won" BS. And now all of a sudden the Dems want to "work with" the Republicans. Tell me, what made them change their minds?

By DAVID STOUT
(news page)

[...]

#2-

No Attribution
(op-ed page)

You're comparing a news article to an op-ed why? The comparison you want to make is with this article.

You effing CON$ kill me!

*SMH*

Basically..yeah.

Oh Please, it was Obama himself with the "I won" BS. And now all of a sudden the Dems want to "work with" the Republicans. Tell me, what made them change their minds?

Yeah..Obama did say he won. He did by the way. He also had mulitple meetings with Republicans. Held parties for Republicans. Put almost every Republican idea into the stimulus and health care bills.

They still didn't vote for it. They filibustered something like 275 times..a new record. They called him every nasty name in the book and the minority leader came out and said he wanted him to be a one term president. They shouted out "You Lie" in the halls of congress.

You may cheer that sort of behavior. But it bodes badly in terms of governance.

Basically..yeah.

Yeah..Obama did say he won. He did by the way. He also had mulitple meetings with Republicans. Held parties for Republicans. Put almost every Republican idea into the stimulus and health care bills.

They still didn't vote for it. They filibustered something like 275 times..a new record. They called him every nasty name in the book and the minority leader came out and said he wanted him to be a one term president. They shouted out "You Lie" in the halls of congress.

My research shows 91 filibusters. I didn't look to see how many were only done to slow things down so everyone had a chance to actually read some legislation or another. Or will you deny that legislation was passed that was never read?

My research shows 91 filibusters. I didn't look to see how many were only done to slow things down so everyone had a chance to actually read some legislation or another. Or will you deny that legislation was passed that was never read?

Your research is a little faulty.

Critics will say that it is self-serving for Democrats to propose these reforms now, when they face a larger and more restive Republican minority. The facts of the growing procedural abuse are clearly on their side. In the last two Congressional terms, Republicans have brought 275 filibusters that Democrats have been forced to try to break. That is by far the highest number in Congressional history, and more than twice the amount in the previous two terms.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/03/opinion/03mon1.html

And many of these filibusters were done anonymously.

By DAVID STOUT
(news page)

[...]

#2-

No Attribution
(op-ed page)

You're comparing a news article to an op-ed why? The comparison you want to make is with this article.

Good catch..I missed that.

And poor form Trajan.:lol:

theres nothing to catch. I said coverage, and I added the verbiage ala "op-ed" and "no attribution" and "news page". I did not find another article for Jan 4 in the 2007 edition in the same vane ala the reps dems etc. . NOR will you find one vilifying the dems as they hand over the gavel, but they felt it necessary to impugn the Republicans.

before you hang me , or make personal asides ala 'bad form', ask first.

Last edited:

By DAVID STOUT
(news page)

[...]

#2-

No Attribution
(op-ed page)

you mean this one from your link?

Boehner Takes Gavel in House With Pledge to Bring Change

By MICHAEL D. SHEAR
Published: January 5, 2011

The new speaker of the House, John Boehner, promised a new era of transparency in lawmaking on Wednesday, but he also pledged to aggressively push forward the conservative agenda that swept his party into power.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/06/us/politics/06cong.html?_r=1&hp

notice anything in particular?

Forum List

Back