NY Principal Pulls Patriotic Song, Wants to Avoid Offending Other Cultures

we are usually on the same page Chanel,

but don't you think removal is a bit harsh? Do we know all the facts?

In this age of hyper-sensitivity sometimes one needs to be hyper-careful. There could have been the "parent complaint"

There was no need for any complaint, if the childs religion doesn't allow them to do it thats fine and i respect that its not like this was mandatory all the child would have to do is not participate, everyone on the class usually agrees on what to sing in these types of situations anyway i can't fathom how these people want to be Americans but don't want to be a part of American traditions. Tradition is the history of the people built by the that peoples feelings sense their founding, its not something to be abhored its something to treasured and respected.

Much as I agree with some of your sentiments on this issue, that last line kills it for me. Tradition isn't automatically something to be treasured and respected. People doing the same thing for a long time doesn't make that thing right or wrong. . . that thing has to stand on its own merits. Traditions that are stupid should be nixed, period. Traditions that are helpful should be kept, period.

Just thot I'd weigh in on a minor point. Kinda my M.O. when I'm around ;)

Ah yes..the "My best friend is black meme"..

Works every time.

Does he dress up in Templar gear too?

:eusa_shifty:

Your attempt at satirical humor is at best cynical, sarcasm does not become you.

Sure it does.

I have you pegged, champ.

Personally, I don't hate on the racists..but I do wish they'd be honest about it.

Just sayin'

For you to wish honesty from others is.... well... more than a tad hypocritical. You've never let honest take precedence over hyperbolic bullshit. I might also remind you that you once posted that you wished some right winger would assassinate Obama just to prove you right. You're one sick individual, swallow.

There was no need for any complaint, if the childs religion doesn't allow them to do it thats fine and i respect that its not like this was mandatory all the child would have to do is not participate, everyone on the class usually agrees on what to sing in these types of situations anyway i can't fathom how these people want to be Americans but don't want to be a part of American traditions. Tradition is the history of the people built by the that peoples feelings sense their founding, its not something to be abhored its something to treasured and respected.

Much as I agree with some of your sentiments on this issue, that last line kills it for me. Tradition isn't automatically something to be treasured and respected. People doing the same thing for a long time doesn't make that thing right or wrong. . . that thing has to stand on its own merits. Traditions that are stupid should be nixed, period. Traditions that are helpful should be kept, period.

Just thot I'd weigh in on a minor point. Kinda my M.O. when I'm around ;)

Some traditions that negatively affect people should be changed yes, like segregation for example but this is just someone wearing a T-shirt with an American Flag on it to say or seeing a song to say im proud to be American, i mean its not as if they were going around wearing shirts saying i hate Mexico or i hate Africa or singing about the same things.

FYI you can wear a shirt like this and never be bothered

i_hate_america_shirt.jpg

but if you wear a shirt like this your liable to offend someone in your own country so your not allowed to wear it

Model_1691.png

Its a crappy song. If I were principal I'd refuse to let it be sung as a matter of taste.

It wasn't pulled for its "crap factor".

The kids had been practicing it for months. If she didn't know about it, then that would be a dereliction of duty. I'm sure it was in the teachers' lesson plans.

The bitch should be fired.

In this age of hyper-sensitivity sometimes one needs to be hyper-careful. There could have been the "parent complaint"

You are right. We don't know the whole truth. We rarely do. But based on this article alone she sounds like a very disagreeable person with way too much power.

Two questions!

#1. Is it that there is a problem in this country now, where as there is now an all out attack on anything that the so called "whitey" has ever accomplished or maybe has made a tradition, holiday or any other such event to be recognized or honored within this nation, in which has been recognized for so long as either a tradition or other in the nation since it's forming ?

#2. If so, is it being attacked all because certain groups or people feel that it is somehow all tied to racism now, and thus tied to the so called racist white folks, who defintely need now to be changed completley in this nation according to those who are determined in this plight to change them and their history completely, and if so, is it their attitude that there will never be any unity within this nation as is respected by those who oppose whitey to the very last action in which whitey had ever achieved or placed in the history books, that was thought to be good, and in the nations favor for all hopefully to enjoy as American History along with all the other history ????????

Many of these events and blogs seem to point to such theories or possibilities when read them over time now.

In Summary - Is their an attack on everything involving what is deemed to be old white created traditions in this nation now, and so these traditions and history must be changed somehow in the minds of those who hate such traditions ?

What "tradition" are you talking about?

Two questions!

#1. Is it that there is a problem in this country now, where as there is now an all out attack on anything that the so called "whitey" has ever accomplished or maybe has made a tradition, holiday or any other such event to be recognized or honored within this nation, in which has been recognized for so long as either a tradition or other in the nation since it's forming ?

#2. If so, is it being attacked all because certain groups or people feel that it is somehow all tied to racism now, and thus tied to the so called racist white folks, who defintely need now to be changed completley in this nation according to those who are determined in this plight to change them and their history completely, and if so, is it their attitude that there will never be any unity within this nation as is respected by those who oppose whitey to the very last action in which whitey had ever achieved or placed in the history books, that was thought to be good, and in the nations favor for all hopefully to enjoy as American History along with all the other history ????????

Many of these events and blogs seem to point to such theories or possibilities when read them over time now.

In Summary - Is their an attack on everything involving what is deemed to be old white created traditions in this nation now, and so these traditions and history must be changed somehow in the minds of those who hate such traditions ?

What "old white traditions" are you talking about?

Where have you been for the past 94 years under a rock? Thats how long singing God Bless America/Proud to be an American at these kind of events has been a tradition, hell read the article on it, it even says the school has a tradition of doing it every year and the locals look forward to it.

Last edited:

Where have you been for the past 94 years under a rock? Thats how long singing God Bless America/Proud to be an American at these kind of events has been a tradition, hell read the article on it, it even says the school has a tradition of doing it every year and the locals look forward to it.

"God bless the USA" was released in 1984, and didn't become hugely popular until 2001. Not exactly 94 years.

"God bless the USA" was released in 1984, and didn't become hugely popular until 2001. Not exactly 94 years.

Such ignorance, the song was made in 1918 and didn't become widely known until 1938

Last edited:

Such ignorance, the song was made in 1918 and didn't become widely known until 1938

Nope. You're thinking of "God Bless America" by Irving Berlin, not "God Bless the USA" by Lee Greenwood.

Two different songs, and the article is talking about the Greenwood song.

Nope. You're thinking of "God Bless America" by Irving Berlin, not "God Bless the USA" by Lee Greenwood.

Your right, i will admit my mistake and i apologize, still i don't see it as being different then any other patriotic song, the fact remains that it was a school tradition that praised our country and did not negatively affect anyone except for the fact that it did praise the U.S.A and what it stands for.

Last edited:

Your right, i will admit my mistake and i apologize, still i don't see it as being different then any other patriotic song, the fact remains that it was a school tradition that praised our country and did not negatively affect anyone except for the fact that it did praise the U.S.A and what it stands for.
I look at this sort of thing, as something that could be easily tied to any traditional standards type song or songs, except that this one is more up to date, and thus may be a bit more cool for the younger generation to make use of, instead of the more boring older traditional standards in which have been sung for so long now. You know how young people are, they like to modernize things a bit, so singing a song more up to date, probably suits them better, and yet still has within it's context the same praises and glorifying of a nation in which they do love so much. The only thing I am shocked about, is that the song which is chosen to be sung is very tasking to sing, as it can get up into the higher registers, but then again with young people, that usually isn't much of a problem. I bet it would be superb to hear them sing such a fine song in an accomplishing way. WOW!

Last edited:
Its a crappy song. If I were principal I'd refuse to let it be sung as a matter of taste.

It wasn't pulled for its "crap factor".

The kids had been practicing it for months. If she didn't know about it, then that would be a dereliction of duty. I'm sure it was in the teachers' lesson plans.

The bitch should be fired.

:lol:

Man you people are loons. And yeah..I posted "You People".

U 2 must B A

A quick update on the Principal. She's a Jehovah Witness and they don't believe in any allegiance to any nation except to Jehovah's.

Her apparent reasoning for the ban on the song is "The lyrics, she says could ‘offend other cultures’ and are ‘too grown-up’ for five-year-olds.

Controversially, Hawkins is allowing alternatives including ‘Baby’ by Justin Bieber, with flirty lyrics such as: ‘Are we an item? Girl, quit playing.’"

She's getting a lot of hate mail over this. Daily Mail link pretty informative. From the article:

It is not the first time that Hawkins, a Jehovas Witness, has tried to stamp down on the school's patriotic rituals.

A few years ago she tried to end the tradition of students reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and singing ‘America the Beautiful’.

Staff objected and she was forced to back down but it has been noted that she does not herself recite the pledge because of her religious beliefs.

She has in the past been called a tyrant and bully by staffers and was reprimanded in 2010 by the Department of Education after complaints arose that she had called the school racist.

‘I’m black. Your previous principal was white and Jewish. More of us are coming,’ she is alleged to have said.

Read more: 'You are a filthy, dirty, ugly subhuman gorilla': The shocking hate mail sent to New York principal who banned God Bless the USA from kindergarten graduation | Mail Online

A quick update on the Principal. She's a Jehovah Witness and they don't believe in any allegiance to any nation except to Jehovah's.

Her apparent reasoning for the ban on the song is "The lyrics, she says could ‘offend other cultures’ and are ‘too grown-up’ for five-year-olds.

Controversially, Hawkins is allowing alternatives including ‘Baby’ by Justin Bieber, with flirty lyrics such as: ‘Are we an item? Girl, quit playing.’"

She's getting a lot of hate mail over this. Daily Mail link pretty informative. From the article:

It is not the first time that Hawkins, a Jehovas Witness, has tried to stamp down on the school's patriotic rituals.

A few years ago she tried to end the tradition of students reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and singing ‘America the Beautiful’.

Staff objected and she was forced to back down but it has been noted that she does not herself recite the pledge because of her religious beliefs.

She has in the past been called a tyrant and bully by staffers and was reprimanded in 2010 by the Department of Education after complaints arose that she had called the school racist.

‘I’m black. Your previous principal was white and Jewish. More of us are coming,’ she is alleged to have said.

Read more: 'You are a filthy, dirty, ugly subhuman gorilla': The shocking hate mail sent to New York principal who banned God Bless the USA from kindergarten graduation | Mail Online

I already knew that but thanx anyway :thup: and they say black people can't be racist i'd call that white/jewish comment racist

That beatch should find a job @ Jehovas Witness school...

Monday, June 11, 2012
New York City principal removes 'God Bless the USA' from graduation ceremony

“We don’t want to offend other cultures.”

Read more: New York City principal removes 'God Bless the USA' from graduation ceremony | National News - VOTE AZ 2012

I already knew that but thanx anyway :thup: and they say black people can't be racist i'd call that white/jewish comment racist

Who is "they", and when did "they" say that?

Forum List

Back