NY Gov adds 137 tax hikes-Tax & Spend gone beserk

Nov 14, 2008
This shows what happens when Dems think they can do as they please. NY has already been a liberal hotbed with taxing and spending, but even this is a surprise. Ok, so when will the NYers' finally wake up and say Enough is Enough? Interesting NY government doesn't get rid of non-essential works plus re-work some of the Union contracts for civil services.:cuckoo::eusa_whistle:

GOV'S TAX & SPEND SHOCKER - New York Post

ALBANY - Gov. Paterson yesterday socked New Yorkers with a mind-boggling 137 proposed new and hiked taxes on everything from beer to cab rides to iTunes downloads and movie tickets.

The doomsday, $121.1 billion plan represents the biggest tax hike in state history and slashes services across the board - while still increasing spending by $1.4 billion.

The Draconian plan calls for:

* An "iTunes tax" of 4 percent on videos, music or pictures downloaded from the Internet.

* A 4 percent tax on taxi, limo and bus rides. That means a $10 cab ride would cost 40 cents more.

* A 4 percent entertainment tax on tickets to movies, concerts and sporting events. That would add nearly 50 cents to a $12 movie ticket or $1.80 to the cheapest $44.50 seat at a Knicks game.

* The tax on beer increases 24 cents per gallon, or more than double the current rate, which means about 30 cents a case.

* An 18 percent tax on nondiet soft drinks, which aims to reduce child obesity. A $1.50 can of Pepsi would then cost at least 25 cents more.

* A 4 percent tax on cable TV and satellite services, raising a $100 bill by $4.

* A 4 percent sales tax on clothing and shoes under $500, except for two weeks out of the year.

* Elimination of the law that caps the state sales tax on gasoline at 8 cents per gallon.

* Boosting the average vehicle registration fee for drivers by $11, from $44 to $55. Fees for new or renewed licenses also would increase 25 percent, or increase from $50 to about $62 to renew a license over eight years.

Just we need in a cripling recession, higher taxes!

Yeah, NY is already the most expensive city to live in and now the gov just made it absolutely the worst city I believe. I would never live there and never have but this is all just too ridiculous to say.

Crazy with our money.

What does Bloomberg care, he's loaded.

He called last year's stimulus 'like giving booze to an alcholic' proving how out of touch he is with everyday people.

State governments all over America are in trouble.

Things like changes in medicade payments from the Feds, changes in revenue sharing plans, are much the States' problem.

That and the reduced revenues coming in from sale taxes, and of course the losses in personal and corporate taxes as more and more workers lose their jobs are the problem.

Since most states have constitutions demanding that the governors must balance their budgets every year, when economic circumstances change dramtically -- as dramatically as they have in the recent times, I mean -- there is no alternative for most governors BUT to raise taxes and fees, and make deep cuts into the services that the state provides as well.

They tend to couple those draconians tax increases with cuts in spending, but cutting back spending isn't easy to do politically.

A LOT of what gets cut directly impacts ,millions of citizens in ways they will not stand for, so the alternative is what? Raising taxes and fees.

And raising taxes in the worst possible economic circumstances to raise taxes and fees, too.

This is just one of the many vicious cycles playing out during our ensuring migration into what I suspect is becoming the new great American and worldwide depression.

Next phase, I am expecting to see?

Massive cuts in what are now thought of as essantial services provided by state and local government.

Expect to see prison guards laid off, cops, too, and so forth.

The state running out of social workers, clerical workers and the like, so now the cuts are coming down to the so-called essantial services.

Last edited:
* A 4 percent sales tax on clothing and shoes under $500, except for two weeks out of the year.
* Elimination of the law that caps the state sales tax on gasoline at 8 cents per gallon.
I thought Liberals cared about he poor? These two alone are reason enough that Gov Paterson should be thrown out of office.

Forum List

Back